News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking of buying this '70 charger

Started by rrockchrger, March 13, 2009, 12:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrockchrger

Hello all.  I'm thinking of buying this purple charger driver from a guy in another state. It was for sale for awhile by a broker on this board and on eBay but it never sold.  There are plenty of pics of the car here http://rides.webshots.com/album/570385603qLbkhw?start=0   
and it appears to have a solid undercarriage, rails, trunk.  paint is new so i can't see whats underneath that but i plan to take a trip next week to inspect the car in person and run a magnet over it.   It was not a highly optioned car.  It originally had a 383 column shift auto but now runs with a different '70 383 in it.  Supposedly, it runs great and only needs attention on the interior, a fresh front suspension and a bubble in the paint on one of the rear quarters.  The price has dropped dramatically and now the guy wants under $18 grand for it. 

I guess my question is what do you guys think of the price and the car??

Hemidog

With the exeption of the interior, the car looks good, and 18k sounds like a fair price these days.
Check the car out in person first  :yesnod:

nh_mopar_fan

Is this the one where the "complete restoration" included spraying the blower motor among other things in the engine bay purple?

Troy

Definitely check it out in person.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Forza

Looks like a good car for the money, definitely give it a thorough inspection first. If its been for sale awhile there has to be some drawback somewhere. Good luck and let us know if/when you get it!

BB1

God NO!

Do not buy from M&M unless you like rusted junk.

I've been to that house before, I've dealt with M&M. They are bondo kings, high school body boys. No price is worth the hassle.

You will thank me later.
Delete my profile

69bronzeT5

Quote from: BB1 on March 13, 2009, 01:07:45 PM
God NO!

Do not buy from M&M unless you like rusted junk.

They are bondo kings, high school body boys. No price is worth the hassle.

:iagree: :iagree:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Corellian Corvette

Having been ripped off buying a Charger online based on photos, I cannot agree more with going to look at the car in person.

However, there are things I've learned through the process of restoring my '68 that make me question what's going on with this '70.

For instance - why would someone go through all the trouble of doing a really nice paint job, making the outside look great, but not spend $150 for new carpet, and $300 for new seat covers?

Why wouldn't they spend the $29 for a complete body bumper set and put the little rubber trunk, hood, and door bumpers on the car?

Why wouldn't they spend the $60 for hood insulation?

What about $30 on some black undercoating and cover up all the overspray?

Maybe $200 for new shocks and $10 for new exhaust pipe clamps?

It's those missing details that make me question the overall prodcut? I mean - anyone with a resonable mind could figure you're about $1500 away from making the car REALLY nice, and you can probably get way more than $18K if you concentrated on some of the details.

The only scenario I can think of is someone trying to make a quick buck, which would worry me.

That's just my $02. But who knows, the car might be very nice and the guy just got tired of it...

Polygon

Take a look at these 2 pictures here.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2955553080086149004phHWbN

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2984934700086149004QsRBfq

Isn't there a corner piece on the valance that has been bondo'd over?  Just going from the pics, (I could be wrong since I'm not a Charger owner)
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BB1

Guys trust me, I know these people.

Do not buy this car.
You will put a thread on here as to how you got ripped off, why didn't anyone tell you to stay away.

Sir, please take your hard earned money else where.

This warning is from me, a guy who got ripped off by them.

How do I make it any clearer.  :shruggy:
Delete my profile

rrockchrger

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses.  

Polygon, it does appear to be missing the seams from the two corner pieces = bondo!

Corellian Corvette, you bring up some excellent points.  Those would be easy add ons if he did as much work on the car as he said he did.

BB1 and 69bronzeT5, MM is the broker. I've googled them and didn't find anything bad written about them, but I do trust board members here more than I would any dealer or broker.  So their cars are just slapped together and bondo'd up??

I'm starting to have second thoughts then.  The drive to Mo. is 11 hrs from here in Texas.  That's a long way to go only to be disappointed.  I may still go look at it but maybe I'll wait and see if the market brings a nicer car along.  Thanks all for the feedback.  

rrockchrger

Okay gentleman, after reading BB1's last post and his experience with these guys..I am not going to bother going to look at this car and definitely not going to buy it.  Thanks for your input and for saving me from probably being ripped off!

BB1

Glad to help, also stay away from BK Automotive and Lake Villa IL. Always look at what you plan on buying. Have question, let us know.

Good luck on your search.

;)

Delete my profile

hemi-hampton

A new paint job but then a bubble in the paint on 1/4 panel sure is a red flag. What do you think those 1/4's will look like in a year or 2 :puke:  LEON.

69charger2002

i had this car bought for 15k on ebay.. i clicked the BIN for 16k because we had agreed to 15k. after the auction, he turned weird and demanded the non refundable deposit through money order, would not take paypal..also wanted me to pay him the money in full before he would come meet me with it in memphis(i was going to bring him cash or a cashier's check). he got all fruity on me especially about the paypal and me being covered in sending him a deposit. it had to be money order and non refundable(almost as if he knew i'd backout once i saw it, then he'd still keep my $1000)then i realized he was part of M&M and told him to sell his crap to some other sucker. THAT is why this car is still for sale. looked too good for 15k, and i kept asking him what "refurbished" meant, as every part on the car claimed to have been refurbished.. i think it's cobbled together and he had something to hide. .otherwise he wouldn't have been all about the money first. he knew me and my reputation and ebay feedback. so he knew i was trustworthy and good for the money. threw up a big red flag for me, i ran, glad i did. my advice.. do NOT buy that car
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Hemidog

Another person saved from bondo-hell, thank god for this forum!

cpthowdy1369

Hey man, if your in Texas and looking for a Charger, try Lucas Mopars in Cuero,TX     ( lucasmopars.net ) or maybe even Texas Toybox.  The guy at Texas Toybox  said no to me at first about comming out there to see one of his Chargers, but he seems like he would let you come out there if you pushed him a little. (especially if you had cash in hand). 
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

vancamp

I know of nice 68 coming up for sale in Texas, shhot me a pm if your interested.

jb666

Quote from: BB1 on March 13, 2009, 04:43:53 PM
Guys trust me, I know these people.

Do not buy this car.
You will put a thread on here as to how you got ripped off, why didn't anyone tell you to stay away.

Sir, please take your hard earned money else where.

This warning is from me, a guy who got ripped off by them.

How do I make it any clearer.  :shruggy:

Good man, that was plenty clear and it worked!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

rrockchrger

Thanks for the offers guys.  I'm partial to the '70.  I have a project car with lots of parts I stockpiled but now I think it will be better to find a good running car that somebody is trying to part with because of the economic downturn, which is what I thought the purple charger was.  He was selling it for $16 grand which would have been a good price if it didn't need any bodywork.

If anyone hears of a good '70 for sale, plz let me know. 

TUFCAT

Here you go...for 2 grand more, you can buy this one....it appears LOTS better than you one you were interested in for 16K!!  :icon_smile_wink:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52995.80.html

gordo1968charger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 13, 2009, 06:24:44 PM
A new paint job but then a bubble in the paint on 1/4 panel sure is a red flag. What do you think those 1/4's will look like in a year or 2 :puke:  LEON.
TRUE THAT!!!!!!!!!
I AGREE TOTALLY HERE,WALK AWAY
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs