News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight bulbs question

Started by FJ5WING, March 05, 2009, 03:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

I took my nose assembly to my friends house so he could begin the dis-assembly and restoration of the nose and he pointed out that all four head lamps are the Westinghouse units. Are they as delivered pieces that I should reuse? or ?
 When I first purchased the car I did a bit of research on wing cars but I never kept a file and have
forgotten a lot.

wingless now, but still around.

hemigeno

The "official" answer is that they're supposed to be GE lamps, however that is not universally true since both Tung-Sol's and Westinghouse have been observed in original cars.  GE is the most common though (at least in Daytonas and I assume Superbirds also).

There is usually a date code ink-stamped on the back of the lamp casting, so you might be able to see if they are original units that way.  Another tell-tale sign of whether they're old lamps or not is whether they have the wide spaced diffusers (vertical lines cast into the inside face of the lens) - but that just tells you whether a lamp was made in the early '70s or before.

maxwellwedge

According to NascarXX29 my survivor 'Bird has Westinghouse bulbs. He knows more about my car than I do  :rofl:

The car has not been delivered to me yet so that's why I sound stupid. :eek2:

Aero426

My Bird has Westinghouse bulbs.

nascarxx29

I have somewhere the article 80-90-s on John Mc brides car.I noted such details from his original superbird such as headlights etc.He also has a blue daytona but not a survivor car
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 05, 2009, 05:07:57 PM
According to NascarXX29 my survivor 'Bird has Westinghouse bulbs. He knows more about my car than I do  :rofl:

The car has not been delivered to me yet so that's why I sound stupid. :eek2:

Let me know what you find Jim it was Westinghouse or a possibly GE mixture .But Im leaning towards the westinghouse .As my daytona had the date coded rubber stamped dates on the backside of the GE s

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Wingnut426

All the Superbirds I've owned have Westinghouse and my Daytona has GE. Someone did a Superbird Judging guide. (Galen?)
that states Westinghouse for Superbirds.
Just my 2 cents.             Wingnut
HEMI Daytona Convertible

62 Max

My bird still has the original date coded bulbs,G.E.I doubt any manufacturer one would rely on one vendor. :scratchchin:

maxwellwedge

After the parts shortage fiasco of the late 50's, Chrysler demanded their purchasing department to have 2 vendors minimum, 3 preferred if possible.

pettybird

Did Creative fully assemble the noses?  I thought that's why the Westinghouse bulbs?

The Petty car has 3 of them, the B5 bird had a full set of Kmart GE halogens from the early 80's in it, and both Joe Angelucci and Steve Kay here in Cleveland have them in their cars, too.

FJ5 do your bulbs have the "wide" spacing to the lens lines?  I'll get a pic if that's not clear...

hemigeno

Here are some I posted in another thread, the top is the "narrow" spacing, bottom two are "wide":

FJ5WING

Ill have to get back to you on what the bulbs look like. Theyre with the nose which out of house for now.
wingless now, but still around.

resq302

Geno,

I remember reading something somewhere that Frank Badalson or Roger Gibson did an article pertaining to such things as the lights.  From what I can remeber, the wide diffused pattern was like what originally came on the cars.  The newer ones are narrower and have more lines to diffuse the light better.  Im guessing the spacing difference was mandated from the dept. of transportation.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

pettybird

FYI I bought a set of these GE bulbs off eBay in Eveready boxes for the Hemi GTX here at work

hemigeno

Quote from: resq302 on March 06, 2009, 04:00:14 PM
Geno,

I remember reading something somewhere that Frank Badalson or Roger Gibson did an article pertaining to such things as the lights.  From what I can remeber, the wide diffused pattern was like what originally came on the cars.  The newer ones are narrower and have more lines to diffuse the light better.  Im guessing the spacing difference was mandated from the dept. of transportation.

Yeah, the gist of the deal is that older lamps have the "wide" spacing, newer have "narrow".  Who mandated the change (Feds or the car manufacturers), I dunno - but it seems that after the fairly early '70s everything went to the narrow spacing.

The article you saw almost certainly came from Frank Badalson since he is - literally - a certified expert witness when it comes to lamps.  When talking with him on the subject I was corrected more than once that these are NOT bulbs, but LAMPS... :slap: 

:lol:

nascarxx29

I have to look at some of my old pictures .I thought I recalled seeing 1 and 2 on GE headlights.Maybe on the daytona

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on March 06, 2009, 04:59:52 PM
Quote from: resq302 on March 06, 2009, 04:00:14 PM
Geno,

Yeah, the gist of the deal is that older lamps have the "wide" spacing, newer have "narrow".  Who mandated the change (Feds or the car manufacturers), I dunno - but it seems that after the fairly early '70s everything went to the narrow spacing.

The article you saw almost certainly came from Frank Badalson since he is - literally - a certified expert witness when it comes to lamps.  When talking with him on the subject I was corrected more than once that these are NOT bulbs, but LAMPS... :slap: 

:lol:

Ha Ha - I can hear him saying it!

I started in the lamp business and I call them bulbs, headlights....pretty well everything but head lamps.

resq302

And here I thought lamps was a fixture that sat on an end table or hung from a ceiling.  Not something that was mounted to the front of my car.  Hell, if thats the case, does that mean my tail lights are actually tail lamps? :rofl:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

Quote from: resq302 on March 06, 2009, 09:17:45 PM
And here I thought lamps was a fixture that sat on an end table or hung from a ceiling.  Not something that was mounted to the front of my car.  Hell, if thats the case, does that mean my tail lights are actually tail lamps? :rofl:

Funny as it sounds...I think so!

70426rtse

It has been my observation that all Superbirds should have Westinghouse lamps. I have noticed that B-bodies built in St. Louis had GE's. Since Daytona's were built at Creative also I would tend to believe that those should be Westinghouse also. You can alsways check the back of the bulbs for the date code. It is the lower # printed on it. Be careful cleaning it though! You can swipe it off instantly because the ink doesn't adhere to the glass well.

maxwellwedge

Well, both my Daytona's have original GE's. It seems quite a few Birds have Westinghouse, some seem to have GE. From that it would be impossible to make a broad general statement. I have original cars with their original lamps from 3 different plants that have a mix of both including one with a proper dated Tung-Sol thrown in just for kicks.

UFO

Just thinking with the key board now,but
If a vehicle was delivered with four GE's and during the pre delivery check out one is burned out and the dealer sells westinghouse lamps.You would now have one oddball.
The date code would still be correct.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: UFO on March 08, 2009, 07:32:54 PM
Just thinking with the key board now,but
If a vehicle was delivered with four GE's and during the pre delivery check out one is burned out and the dealer sells westinghouse lamps.You would now have one oddball.
The date code would still be correct.

Very possible - but wouldn't the lamps be Mopar, AutoPar, Chryco from the parts department? You don't think the dealership would buy from a cheaper jobber do you?  :D

UFO

I think that depends on what kind of deal they had.
Some smaller dealerships might have the freedom to buy from whoever they wanted to.
Should've asked me this question when I worked in the parts department 20 years ago. :rofl: