News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

quick holley carb electric choke question

Started by gordo1968charger, February 28, 2009, 06:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo1968charger

just rewired my 68,including the engine bay,old loom had a wire spliced into the loom for the electric choke,where would i put the wire on the new loom?
on the old loom it looked like it was spliced into the  green field wire for the alternator,is this correct?
cheers
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

John_Kunkel

The green wire to the alternator is the worst place to wire a choke to, it has variable voltage. The best place to get keyed 12V is the blue wire on the voltage regulator or the double blue wire on one side of the ballast resistor.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

62 Max

histoy

62 Max.... what's the silver junction box on the intake manifold used for?   Can the choke be wired directly to the ballast resistor?

62 Max

That is a choke thermal switch from a mid 70's Chrysler.When engine reaches operating temperature,it opens shutting off voltage to the choke..Engine will make enough heat to keep the choke open.Never cared for wiring direct as you have constant voltage to the choke which you don't need.

histoy

Thanks for your response.  I don't remember seeing one of those before.  My '71 Charger has an electric wire to the choke, but I believe that it is wired to be "hot" all the time.

gordo1968charger

wired it straight to the double blue on the ballast resistor and it worked perfect. :2thumbs:
thanks
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs