News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any of you Trekkies want to weigh in on the Star Trek movie?

Started by bull, February 26, 2009, 06:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

Packed full of action and dazzeling sets it was really, really good! the best sci fi (franchise) I've seen in some time... had that ensomble cast thing where the characters seem to really be enjoying their roles... and not phoneing it in... an all new cast with a couple exceptions.. i say it as good as a S.T. movie can be... i'll post more over on the other thread.    :2thumbs: a few notable suprises i can't give away here.  :shruggy: sorry...

KS71owner

Saw it this afternoon - VERY good! All the parts were well cast IMO - none of the actors seemed out of place as the characters we've come to know so well over the years. Quinto is particularly good as the young Spock, he doesn't have the experience and control the older Nimoy has, you can see his human side fighting with his Vulcan side - it's neat to watch.

Oh, and Uhura is hot.  :D

TheGhost

Saw it tonight.  Damn good movie.  Went with a bunch of my friends, one of whom kept saying how he thought the movie was going to suck before seeing it, and then after seeing it, kept raving about how awesome it was.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bull

In my initial post I said that the actors in the roles of Scotty and Bones seemed as if they might be miscast but it turns out Karl Urban and Simon Pegg were probably the best match of all of them IMO. Karl Urban played a better DeForest Kelley than DeForest Kelley.

Tilar

I went to see it last night and even if you just remotely like Star Trek it is really worth going to see and the new people fit into the parts really well. I liked the way brought Scotty into it.

I hope they do more movies with this crew. 
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

mikepmcs

Quote from: KS71owner on May 07, 2009, 07:49:16 PM
with one of my hot female geek friends. Can't wait!  :D

I'd rather see her picture, than that picture. :icon_smile_big:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Musicman

OK folks... I realize that I was the crotchety old naysayer at the start of this thread:

I hope it's good, but from where I'm standing at the moment it just looks like yet another sad edition of "Pretty People in Space".

However, I went to see the flic last night and I am pleased to report that my initial judgement was incorrect  :D
I'm not one for sequels, and I'm not one who is impressed or dazzled by CGI effects, but they actually did a real good job with this... It appears that someone actually put some thought into this one, and I do like the way they set it up for a fresh new series using the original characters. I didn't really care much for the gal they had playing Uhura, but I think she'll be OK.

Well, I have to get back to the table now so I can finish eating my own words :lol:

Let's just hope the next one is just as good :cheers:

KS71owner

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 10, 2009, 07:51:02 AM

I'll ask her if it's ok to post one.  :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

SeattleCharger

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:   

Excellent, excellent.      everything everyone else said.   saw in regular big screen, wanna go back and try imax, which was sold out for next four shows when I got there.   love when the ships go to warp,  at least the new theater had good sound

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Musicman

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on May 11, 2009, 12:47:26 AM
love when the ships go to warp

Yes it was kinda cool, like being shot out of a gun... technically incorrect however. The flash of light from the original series was not present. Breaking the light speed barrier creates an optical event just as breaking the sound barrier creates an audible event. (but who cares, it's still pretty cool)

moparstuart

saw it yesterday with my son's  , We all loved it  great flick .   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bull

Quote from: Musicman on May 11, 2009, 03:38:40 AM
Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on May 11, 2009, 12:47:26 AM
love when the ships go to warp

Yes it was kinda cool, like being shot out of a gun... technically incorrect however. The flash of light from the original series was not present. Breaking the light speed barrier creates an optical event just as breaking the sound barrier creates an audible event. (but who cares, it's still pretty cool)

There were a couple of moments in the film where they at least removed the sound during the outside shots. One such instance I can remember off hand was when the woman got herself "vented" out into space during the initial battle sequence. Totally reminded me of BSG.

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on May 08, 2009, 10:20:28 AM
I have no clue whatsoever who any of the new actors are. Never heard of any of them :shruggy:

Going to see it when its out on dvd.

I wouldn't wait if I were you. The special effects are way too good to really appreciate on anything but a big screen. Also, there are several established actors in the film like Winona Ryder, Leonard Nimoy, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Eric Bana and Bruce Greenwood.

SeattleCharger

I don't care if it was techinically incorrect, watching the beginning music opening of s.t. next generation you see the ship go to warp many times, then some more during episode,  got tired of it,  this new one surprised me and the sound was different,   techically there were a lot of differences in things, but that was ok.
     There was a good balance of changing or modifying some technologies or characters, but they kept enough of the orginal star trek in it to make it enjoyable for trekkies (especially the character development and the clever, often funny banter,   which was more of the flavor of original star trek)  (star trek fan myself). 

good god man!   I'm a doctor . . .   :lol:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

teamroth

I wasn't all that into the show as a kid. But my wife is die-hard. We saw it last night and it was incredible. As far as accuracy story-wise, my wife said things were pretty good. Have to remember that they wrote this long after the series was over.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

CaptMarvel

I dont know if you'd call me a "trekkie" although I make no appologies for having enjoyed the old series for most of my life. I'd really consider myself more of a Lost in Space fan, but the old Trek series was great. I never liked the Next Generation because I thought they focused too much on misguided diplomacy and worrying about what their brutal enemies thought of them (hmmm...sound like some of our real leaders in America today?) which is why I liked Cap'n Kirk the best. Ill admit I never saw any Trek versions as the great and oh so relevant commentary on society that some folks see it as. As for the new movie, I saw it over the weekend and thought it was great! Kirk was as he should be, pollitically incorrect and ready to fight entire crowds (ala James West-another TV favorite!) and ready to charge into danger, shoot first and ask questions later (unlike "yawn" Picard) Spock was as bland, logical and annoying as ever. McCoy was just crabby enough.. I thought every one of the main characters did their originals justice without being too cheesy about it. I know some Trek fans will pick appart tiny errors, but hey, at least Abrams stuck with the original characterizations and made an enjoyable movie unlike what was done with the dissapointing Space Family Robinson update in 1998...
Star Trek! ....Go see it!

bull

Quote from: CaptMarvel on May 11, 2009, 10:27:09 PM
I never liked the Next Generation because I thought they focused too much on misguided diplomacy and worrying about what their brutal enemies thought of them (hmmm...sound like some of our real leaders in America today?) which is why I liked Cap'n Kirk the best.

It's funny you said that because if you saw the new movie you'll remember Kirk's very limited attempt to offer help to Nero and his crew at the end. No one seemed too upset that they declined.

KS71owner

Quote from: KS71owner on May 10, 2009, 10:20:16 AM
Quote from: mikepmcs on May 10, 2009, 07:51:02 AM

I'll ask her if it's ok to post one.  :2thumbs:

Well I haven't been able to get ahold of her for the last couple days, but this was on her myspace for a long time so I doubt she'll mind if I put it here, especially now that she doesn't use myspace anymore. She has some other professionally done photos that are smokin', but I won't post those without her permission.

mikepmcs

I'm movin to Kansas! :2thumbs:

Yeah, I'd just about go see the notebook if she wanted to, good call. :cheers: :icon_smile_big:

RAWPWR

68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

Mike DC

A friend dragged me to the new ST movie the other night. 

Surprising.  I'm not a ST fan but this one completely failed to suck.  More fun than some of the Star Wars Prequels have been. 

mikepmcs

bull

Mike DC

True dat. 

George Lucas's movies were so much better when he didn't have quite as much control over them. 

Look at Empire Strikes Back:  That one was his storyline and character and overall production work, but he did virtually none of the actual dialogue and directing work on the set every day.   It came out awesome. 

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 21, 2009, 08:00:54 PM
True dat. 

George Lucas's movies were so much better when he didn't have quite as much control over them. 

Look at Empire Strikes Back:  That one was his storyline and character and overall production work, but he did virtually none of the actual dialogue and directing work on the set every day.   It came out awesome. 

Right. He wasn't credited as director for episodes 5 or 6 and those are the best of the lot. Irvin Kershner directed Empire (the best IMO) and Richard Marquand directed Jedi. I could have lived without the friggin Ewoks but it was pretty good overall. Episode 4 was the only thing Lucas had a hand in that is decent and I think that since it was done during his early career is the only reason why it was decent. Also, I'm sure there was some outside influence on the final product since he was a newbie.