News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

May pick up a 2.76 for highway use...what to look for, and how hard to switch?

Started by Dans 68, February 23, 2009, 11:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Guys,

May pick up the one shown below for $60. Please give me your opinions on its appearance and what to look for once I get it in my hands. I currently have a 3.23 in the 4-speed but as I probably will be driving more than a few hours to MATS It should help on gas. And, I've heard from other members that it does not take that long to change one out. Any helpful hints? Thanks.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

69charger440

Yeah, it is really simple to change! Where you located? Just PM me!! I think, I have seen that picture on craigslist in my area! If that is the case I can help you put it in! Very simple job, when there are a couple beers laying around!!!

Sean
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Dans 68

Northern Cal, Sean. It is a Craigslist ad, so...maybe it is a canned photo of a pumpkin. I'm sending you a photo of a beer if that will help.  :icon_smile_wink: 

Seriously, is there anything to look for, short of missing teeth and a rusty appearance?

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

69charger440

If you have some extra axles you could stick them in there. But your probably fine! It is a 2.76 gears. Nobody messes with those. They pull them out and sell them or put them on a shelf. I am in San Diego!! That is why I knew the photo I search all the craigslist ads with in 800 miles of me!! :D Dont want to miss out!!

Just pull both tires off. Slide the drums off. Take the five bolts of the axle housing that hold the axle in (both sides).
Side the axles out!  !!THEN!! Unbolt the third member leaving a bolt on the top of the third member still on by a couple of threads.  (this keeps the thing from falling on you while the fluid drains in a contianer!) Once it is done draining take the bolt of and watch your face! :icon_smile_blackeye: Then your done.  Just do it backwards for assembly. DONT FORGET GASKETS!!!  You will have to adjust the axles when you put them in. I forget the measurments. (Unless you have the mopar Green bearings!!)

Oh yeah, You have to unbolt the driveshaft too! :slap: But you know that!

Hopefully that helps!!

Sean
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Sublime/Sixpack

Don't forget to change the speedo gear in the transmission. Another thought is you only need to slide your axles out maybe 6 to 8 inches. If you do decide to pull the axles all the way out be careful not to cut the seals by dragging the axle splines across them.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak