News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque Converter to Flexplate issues...

Started by Longhorn69RT, February 22, 2009, 06:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longhorn69RT

After a very long delay I am finally putting my new rebuilt 440 back into the charger. The motor has been bolted to the bellhousing and everything seems to mesh up perfectly now that its back on its motor mounts. The problem is that the flexplate to torque converter bolts I have (my original OEM bolts, a set of arp bolts I bought for the rebuild, and a set of bolts provided by ptc) don't seem to reach far enough to be threaded to the converter. When my 11" ptc converter arrived, it came with the notice "ATTENTION must use chrysler OEM bolts ONLY!!". The converter spins freely and I feel I installed correctly when the engine was out of the car. I've also tried to grab the converter and move it closer to the flexplate, but it doesnt seem to want to move very easily. ANY IDEAS!?!  :shruggy:

I have a 3spd 727.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully when I get past this it will be smooth sailing to start-up!  :D

Jess

RECHRGD

How far away from the converter is the flex plate sitting?  I don't know if it's even possible, but could you have put the flexplate onto the crankshaft backwards?  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

If the converter is properly seated it will move forward to butt up against the flexplate. Something is bound up...remove the trans and inspect.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Longhorn69RT

At first I thought I might have installed it backwards but it is in fact in the right way. I guess things didn't mesh up as smoothly as I had thought. Any hints for what could possibly be jamming it up? Any idea before I drop the tranny or pull the engine would be great... it was a real pain wrestling that thing in there!

Thanks again.
Jess

John_Kunkel

A little extra thickness of paint on the converter pilot hub will make it reluctant to enter the register on the crank flange, it that's the case you can use longer bolts to pull it closer to the flexplate and then substitute the correct length bolts to pull it in the rest of the way.

If something else other than paint thickness is holding it back, the flexplate will bend as the bolts are tightened.....in that case, remove and inspect.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Longhorn69RT

Thanks John, your trick worked perfectly! I'll have a running engine in no time  :cheers:

Jess