News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overwhelmed??!?!?!?!

Started by jdiesel33, February 18, 2009, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

For those of you whose Charger is still "under construction", do you ever just walk out into the garage and see and realize all the work that still needs to get done and get extremely overwhelmed? For those that have made it thru the journey (even though it is never COMPLETELY over), how do you get thru it? It is even more difficult looking at all of the sweet "finished" rides that a lot of the members have. I think in my head "Will I ever make it to that point"? Easy to think that when you're drowning in rust and havent started the engine yet I guess. I have a mild case of OCD as well, so it is REALLY hard to leave projects unfinished, but I guess that is the nature of this beast!!
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

skip68

:yesnod:   There was lots of times I went into the garage and turned and walked back out.  :rotz:   You spend so much time on one thing and then feel like you got nothing done or, it will take forever.    Keep at it and it will get there.  :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

69*F5*SE

Quote from: jdiesel33 on February 18, 2009, 10:27:17 PM
For those of you whose Charger is still "under construction", do you ever just walk out into the garage and see and realize all the work that still needs to get done and get extremely overwhelmed? For those that have made it thru the journey (even though it is never COMPLETELY over), how do you get thru it? It is even more difficult looking at all of the sweet "finished" rides that a lot of the members have. I think in my head "Will I ever make it to that point"? Easy to think that when you're drowning in rust and havent started the engine yet I guess. I have a mild case of OCD as well, so it is REALLY hard to leave projects unfinished, but I guess that is the nature of this beast!!

I feel exactly the same way.   :rotz:  Ted

ITSA426

Put on a large part or make a big change for "visual progress" and even if you have to take it off to do something else you will notice an attitude difference. 

Mean 318

Here here... the best part is another 500 or 1000 and I will be able to drive or start it.... been there done that! Try spending a whole summer under the dash on the wires only to find the part you ordered and replaced from the parts store is wrong and they did it! I used 2 wiring kits and a year of floodlights in the driveway to learn that! Or that the guy you paid to re build you distrib didnt bother to replace the pickup coil and it dies after you warm it up... took me a month on that one! It takes time and I know just cuz you hear it dont make you feel great and ready to get goin again... but it is how it is! Good luck!

The70RT

Just keep pluggin away and it will happen. It gets me more motivated when i see others progress on here. I completely took mine apart about 2 years ago. I haven't really been overwhelmed yet. I know it has to get done and no one else is helping me so It isn't gonna sit and gather dust. I have had normal life stuff get in the way but after not having it tagged since the mid 80's I am anxious to get it back on the road. I figure this summer I will be over the hump and on the down hill slide  :boogie: 
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GT

Set many smaller and easily achieveable goals and track them.
If a full resto, break it up and do different aspects to keep the juices and interest flowing.
Break it down: I'll finish the floor pans this month.   Next month do the A/C rebuild.  Go back and do a qtr.  Then the instruments.  etc.
You can then stand back and see big chunks getting done.

You can also take a 2-3 mo break (like winter) and just become a parts-hound... searching for deals, etc.

Remember it's a hobby - you can (and should) take a break every now and then - take 2-3 months off, then go back to it. :cheers:
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Rolling_Thunder

Yep - start with all the smaller sub-assemblies...     it'll help when you go out to the garage and see a bunch of restored, good looking parts...       then just slowly start putting them on the car...     :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

My car is on the road and it still sometimes overwhelms me.  They are never done really so sometimes its good to just walk away. 
The other thing I will do is to make an itemized checklist, not just big things but even small things.  Don't put it all on a single page but just put up a page at a time somewhere in the garage where you can check things off.  Sometimes it looks like you have done nothing to the car but then you check your list and find you have finished a bunch of things.

captnsim

I make sure I do something, no matter how big or small every day. Seems to help me.

rusty lee

I just stay out of the garage... 

Sublime/Sixpack

Don't think about the whole project, focus on a small section at a time, get it squared away then move onto another. And like others mentioned, take a break, otherwise it can drive you a little crazy, then it becomes a chore. :pullinghair:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

69bronzeT5

Do I think that.....every single day.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

suntech

I think also money, or rather lack of them makes motivation drop. What i did, was to leave the car in the US, gathering parts, before i took a big load home in one shot. I think it is easier to get things done that way, instead of going out in the garage, flat broke, and sand something, just because you feel that you chould do something, but did´nt have the cash right then to buy what you really needed.
The car is home now, and i was planning to start right away, but now i am actually leaning towards driving it this summer, and start in August. Then i can gather parts for another 6 months, and i can make molds for carbon parts etc, while i actually use the car! :2thumbs:
I don´t think it will delay the finishing of the car, but the stuff i can do now, will inspire to get things going faster, later on :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

tan top

yeah had the same feelings ..  :lol: when i was restoring mine ...last thing i wanted to do after painting & repairing cars 9 hours a day 5 days a week , was to  work on my charger after work  for a few hours & at weekends  :icon_smile_blackeye: ..but  stuck at it ..working 15 hour days sometimes at the weekends for 3 years ... not good when you go into work monday morning doing the same thing ...& thinking damn ..want to work on my own car  :yesnod:  :Twocents: just divide you car up into sections ... & concentrate of one area or job & finish it  :yesnod: don't even look at the rest of the car .easy to get over whelmed ..if your not use to this kind of stuff , then longer you leave it between working on it , you will never want to go back to it  :Twocents:  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

I felt the same way especially after spending all I had to buy the car and then the engine blew up.  It was the simple fact that I owned a 69 charger that got me through it.  In my garage sat on of the worlds best known, most loved American muscle cars, and that helped me drag my feet in and out of the garage.  And over all it was worth the pain and suffering.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

jdiesel33

Thanks everyone. All of your suggestions make sense. I'll definitely keep at it and I know it will eventually be done. I like the setting small goals approach. I'll give it a whirl.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

MoparSam

Just hang in there, I know for a fact it can be very aggravating and overwhelming.  I've had my '68 for a little over two years now and so far have the engine bay painted and engine and tranny rebuilt for about a year and I redid the brake system when I first got the car.  In that time I've had to buy a new master cylinder and booster after putting $1500 into the brakes that had a warranty that ran out in a year, after having bought the stuff a year and a half ago.  Also I almost lost the car to a fire, went through two fuel pumps, and then buying an electric pump, fitting it in, burning up relays, rust and body work that had 2" of bondo (no joke), and most recently spider webbing the windshield.  The only thing that has kept my from selling out is I've wanted a '68 since I first started high school and wanted a charger since I was old enough to watch TV and comprehend DOH.  That car's my pride and joy and most of the time I'm relaxing while working on it.  You'll get there jdiesel33, it's a long road, but the end result is gonna be worth it!
'68 Charger R/T 440
'74 D-100 Adventurer 318
'75 Ramcharger 360 4x4 4 Speed
'78 Ramcharger 360 4x4 4 Speed
'67 Dart GT (Soon 440)
'05 Ram 1500 4.7
1/2 '71 Dart

rudyjrusa

absolutely! going on 2 and 1/2 years with project - did not finish the interior as of yet - now the transmission needs repairs - one of the freeze plugs by the firewall needs repairs - car needs vinyl top and repaint - need money - the most frustrating is ca is out of garage and need to clean garage to put car back in.  not sure how much longer i can go with this??

Back N Black

What level of restoration are you doing? Are you farming out any work? When i stripped my car down to the shell it was in the bodyshop for almost 2 years. Which was a blessing in disguise, it gave me lots of time to rebuilt the rear axle, heater box, dash, front end components, window regulators, seats and sliders, steering column, polish and buff stainless etc. Start small and stick to one project at a time, if you get something half done and move on to another project, things tend to get out of hand.

jdiesel33

Quote from: Back N Black on February 19, 2009, 08:37:56 AM
What level of restoration are you doing? Are you farming out any work? When i stripped my car down to the shell it was in the bodyshop for almost 2 years. Which was a blessing in disguise, it gave me lots of time to rebuilt the rear axle, heater box, dash, front end components, window regulators, seats and sliders, steering column, polish and buff stainless etc. Start small and stick to one project at a time, if you get something half done and move on to another project, things tend to get out of hand.

Certainly not trying to get it in Barrett-Jackson condition, more like a nice driver. Probably drive it 2-3 times a week and would like to do local shows on the weekend occasionally. Wont be a ground up full rotisserie restoration, just want to make nice, safe, solid, and reliable.
The only thing i have farmed at so far is the replacement of trunk and floor pans, but the guy doing it comes to my place to do it. It is about half way done. I am about to pull the engine out and start on it. The thing I seem to be wrestling with the most right now is rust removal and containment.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

451-74Charger

After 7 years, I got nowhere, but I didnt give up. This last 12 months saw new fenders and a bulge hood, I got bitten by the Charger bug again, and am hoping this year to at least get the body sorted

FLG

Im working on gathering parts.

I hope to gather most of the rest within a month or two so i can start taking it apart and immediatly putting it back together  :D

Lets see how that works out

Magnumcharger

I've been playing with my Charger, off and on for almost two decades now...and it's not even close to being done. Which sucks majorly!
I feel like kicking my ass every time I look at it, as it's one of the biggest projects I've ever taken on. ~ And it certainly didn't start off that way.

But, I keep coming back TO THIS SITE and it helps improve my attitude every time. It's therapy....and it's FREE!

Every once in a while, I go to a junkyard and see somebody's project car, that for whatever reason they gave up on.
Recently, a 1970 Cuda 383, in primer with bodywork done but completely stripped, and a 1966 Formula S Barracuda stripped to bare metal, and completely covered with surface rust.
And I think: "This man had no support".
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

defiance

overwhelmed??  YES.  oh man yes.  I made the mistake lately of getting to spread out on the car - It was in the body shop for over two years, just got it back looking BEAUTIFUL, but still lots of work to do.  So I went through all the things I needed to do and ordered the stuff I needed to get it done.  Lots of parts on back order, etc, parts trickling in - so I thought, I'll work on each aspect until I run into parts road blocks, then move on to another aspect. 
BIG MISTAKE.
My 2-car garage is now almost un-walkable with different halfway-done projects scattered out all over the place :(  I walk in and yeah, I just want to turn around and go watch some TV instead :(

I haven't been able to overcome that any night this week, but this weekend I have set myself a little mini-project plan - focused on clearing space in the garage - mostly getting the rear suspension ,rear end, and gas tank finished and installed, then getting the old rear end packed up and given away.  That stuff is all taking up a HUMONGOUS amount of space .... Unfortunately I need to get the entire underside of the car cleaned and coated before I can get the rear on, so it'll be tough to get there, but it's definitely doable. 

Then, hopefully, the garage will be easily walk-able again, and I can go back to feeling like I'm getting somewhere :)