News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pontiac is dead?

Started by TheGhost, February 17, 2009, 10:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Which is saying much for any of the new Pontiac styling then is it?  Maybe it should be no surprise that its dying.
The bigger point is probably that if you plan to resurrect an older name to capture the graying boomer market, you probably shouldn't stick it on a car that is more appealing to their kids or grandkids.
Which isn't to say that I don't agree with your surmise.

captnsim

RallyeMike

QuoteTell me GM knows what they are doing.  brickwall

They may not know how to run a car company, but they sure can hold a tin cup.

"Mr. Wagoner said on Tuesday that the revamping plan was "comprehensive, responsive and achievable," and could help the company break even by 2010".

Lets see: They got $4B in December, $5.4B in January, $4B in February, are now asking for another $4B by end of March. At the rate of $4B/month, and assuming the company actually DOES break even Jan  2010, GM is going to cost the tax payers another $36B this year.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

TheGhost

Quote from: Ghoste on February 18, 2009, 10:47:49 PM
Which is saying much for any of the new Pontiac styling then is it?  Maybe it should be no surprise that its dying.
The bigger point is probably that if you plan to resurrect an older name to capture the graying boomer market, you probably shouldn't stick it on a car that is more appealing to their kids or grandkids.

Frankly, it wasn't just Pontiac styling that was lacking in the 90s and early 2000s...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Ghoste

Mike DC

The original GTO was about $4K worth of performance, camoflauged in about $3K worth of styling, and priced at $3K.  No wonder it sold so well.   

But the new GTO was about $30K in peformance, camoflauged in about 22K worth of styling . . . and then stickered at $34K.  Guess how this one sold. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

The new GTO was General Motors starting with a good idea, and then train-wrecking it one step at a time with corporate execution of the idea. 

They seemed to start out intending to offer a "$30K/$30K/$30K" car (to use my above description). 

But the bigwigs priced it at what it cost THEM to BUILD the program, instead of what the market would actually bear.  If they spent $34K per car becuase they're an inefficient corporation, then they seemed to think it was the customer's job to spend $34K to cover it.  (After all, where ELSE are they gonna get their honest-to-God Pontiac GTO these days?) 

And the lack of styling was probably some vague realization by GM late in the project that they couldn't afford to dump any more money onto the sticker price than they already had.  So they cut certain "extras" like, the decent appearance to match the high price.  (After all, it wasn't THEIR job to lose money on this car, was it?)

Mopar2Ya

Those new GTO's were left on dealer lots IIRC selling for around $26k. It didn't help that they looked like a 2dr '92 Taurus.  :Twocents:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on February 19, 2009, 02:38:06 PM
Those new GTO's were left on dealer lots IIRC selling for around $26k. It didn't help that they looked like a 2dr '92 Taurus.  :Twocents:
or a grand am   :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

captnsim

Aerodynamic potato's with a pinball machine for a dash :Twocents:

Lizey

they arent killing pontiac but they're making it..a "marque" brand i think was the term?
idk but they're still making pontiacs
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

Ghoste

Quote from: captnsim on February 19, 2009, 03:07:38 PM
Aerodynamic potato's with a pinball machine for a dash :Twocents:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  Thats one of the best descriptions of 90's auto styling I've ever heard.

69charger2002

in my personal opinion the 93-02 trans am(98-02 in particular) was one of the best styling cars ever produced. my wife likes them better than the new challengers. in fact she likes 98-02 ram air's better than her black 70 R/T SE charger..   :slap:   the interior in those pontiac's looks cheap but the car is aggressive looking sitting still, ran like a hot potato, and was fairly aerodynamic.
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

superduperbee

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 18, 2009, 04:12:26 PM
NO more azteks on the road?  thank god..  :puke:

AZTEK = The Short Bus for automotive designers. :smilielol:they should all be painted yellow with tinted windows.  The Aztek will feel right at home parked next to an Edsel or AMC Pacer. As for Saturn.....the worst piece of crap I have ever driven. I also was hoping for a Trans-Am version of the Camaro. Couldn't really care less about Chrysler going under, I only like the old Mopars anyways.

Charger_Fan

Honestly, of all the members of the GM car family, I actually like Pontiac the best. I think that ever since the mid 60's (with exception to mid 80's to mid 90's), they've overall had a lot more performance oriented styling than the other GM's.
I wouldn't mind owning a new GTO, mainly because it DOES look like a Grand Am, but it's faster than snot. I just wouldn't want to do any engine work...no room. :o
I would also love to own a Solstice, I've liked those since I first saw one. I'd like to have one of those as my daily commuter, they look fun.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

b5blue

ERK!!!Stop it...You just made me throw up a little!They will all go under if bean counters keep running things! I'm sick of stubbie little turd shape cars! Chrysler would not be in trouble if they had not been raided by you know who!

Mike DC

Quotein my personal opinion the 93-02 trans am(98-02 in particular) was one of the best styling cars ever produced. my wife likes them better than the new challengers. in fact she likes 98-02 ram air's better than her black 70 R/T SE charger..   slap   the interior in those pontiac's looks cheap but the car is aggressive looking sitting still, ran like a hot potato, and was fairly aerodynamic.
trav

IMHO that wasn't a great one for styling.  By the 1993 restyle, both F-bodies had almost become caricatures of themselves. 

I like many of the ideas on paper.  But it was as if they had built 3 concept cars ranging from conservative to aggressive, and then somebody mistakenly greenlighted the most aggressive one rather than the middle one. 

SuperCharger

The  problem with the GTO is it was built of an existing boring platform it is the exact same as the Holden Monaro.

GTO

Ghoste

And IIRC, not unlike the outcry over a four door Charger, did not the Pontiac faithful complain loudly of the fact very early in the program when GM announced their intention to rebadge the Holden as a GTO and sell it over here?

captnsim

Yep they had a fit...Not that I blame them...

694spdRT

While I don't care for the GTO looks at all I did test drive one of the 400 horse models and it was pretty impressive.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mike DC

Listening to us Mopar guys about the 2006 Charger, you'd think the new GTO was exactly what we wanted.  I mean, it's got two doors, right? 

The only thing I ever remember hearing people complain about on the new Charger was "make it a 2-door!"

TheGhost

The Monaro is a boring platform?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Ghoste

Stylingwise yes, to me anyway and guessing by its sales performance to a lot of other people too.  No one has ever denied the performance of the car (or the new Charger for that matter) but price and style are the other two selling features and "over"priced (unless its really stupid) is going to be heavily influenced by the other two qualifiers.  Sooooo, if the performance is there it leaves the bulk of the finger pointing at one villain, bland looks.

ACUDANUT

The new Chager still does not at the very least, look like a Charger. :Twocents:

BIRD67

I have to agree, the 98-01 Trans AMs look bad ass and can also haul ass as well! and the Grand Prix GXP's haul as well! If I could get any new car right now, I would choose the Pontiac G8 GT, even over the Challenger SRT-8! The G8 is a great looking car that holds it's own! I think that if anything one of these days GM will only have Chevrolet..

Oh By the way, you know how Chevrolet claims it is the heartbeat of America? Then I guess America has Congestive Heart Failure..
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10