News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pontiac is dead?

Started by TheGhost, February 17, 2009, 10:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGhost

I heard from a friend that GM is killing off Pontiac, as well as a couple other brands.  Was wondering if anyone else heard this?

If it's true, so much for my dreams of a new Trans Am being produced...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

RallyeMike

Yups. Also just heard on the news tonight that Saturn, if not sold soon will just be scrapped. Wow.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

They should have never started Saturn in the first place in my opinion but what do I know?

ACUDANUT

They started the Saturn Brand, then killed the Olds ??
My wifes Chevy Uplander is also the same thing as the Saturn version, the Buick version and the Pontiac version.
All they changed was the grill. ????  Tell me GM knows what they are doing.  :brickwall:

bull

What I heard is that Pontiac might be reduced to just a couple models but nothing about selling it off.

"Chrysler will eliminate the Dodge Aspen, Durango and Chrysler PT Cruiser, according to company president Jim Press. GM said it plans to sell or spin-off its Saturn brand. If those attempts are unsuccessful, GM will phase out the brand.

GM is also evaluating options for a sale of its Hummer division and sought buyers for its Saab unit. Selling or eliminating those brands would leave GM to focus on Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC and Buick, with Pontiac reduced to one or two models."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29243150?GT1=43001

Hemidog

I heard on the news that SAAB might go down the tube this week.
It also said that GM asked the Swedish government to loan SAAB $700k, which made the Sweds pretty pissed.

71charger_fan

I had always thought of Pontiac as my fall back brand if Chrysler went under. Now they both might slip under the waves. I am liking the 2010 redesign of the Mustang. The '05 was nice, but for me, it was a "missed it by that much" design. I can't put my finger on what it is, but the 2010 just works for me. Although, I'll probably be overseas for another year and a half, so my next new car will probably be a 2011 model.

Belgium R/T -68

Beeing Swedish I have followed the fight between GM and the Swedish government and I have to agree, if GM couldn't make SAAB profitable during 20
years how should the Swedish state be able to? It's a pitty for SAAB, they always were early with new technology and safetyfeatures but I never liked the design. Maybe because I work 27 years for Volvo? :scratchchin:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

WingCharger

Lets just hope ma mopar can survive. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

GM needs to rethink how man brands it has. :rotz:

FlatbackFanatic

I hate to see Saturn go, I really don't like the new ones. I've had three of them since 2000, They are great little cars never a problem, good mpg. Just my :Twocents:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

PocketThunder

NO more azteks on the road?  thank god..  :puke:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

There are Azteks on the road?
I can forgive them the odd Aztek in light of bringing us the GTO and Trans Am.  I'll ridicule the car but I can still forgive them for it.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on February 18, 2009, 04:22:45 PM
I can forgive them the odd Aztek in light of bringing us the GTO and Trans Am.  I'll ridicule the car but I can still forgive them for it.
what about that abomination the NEW GTO   :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :scared:
  they really missed the mark there
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on February 18, 2009, 03:37:41 PM
Beeing Swedish I have followed the fight between GM and the Swedish government and I have to agree, if GM couldn't make SAAB profitable during 20
years how should the Swedish state be able to? It's a pitty for SAAB, they always were early with new technology and safetyfeatures but I never liked the design. Maybe because I work 27 years for Volvo? :scratchchin:
volvo there boxey but there good   :smilielol:  isnt ford trying to sell them off  ? or did they already ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

The new GTO?  Hmmmm, yes and you would have thought Dodge would have learned from the mistake where resurrecting hallowed nameplates are concerned.

captnsim

Back then was the big no more RWD scare. So they figured as long as the power was coming out the back...who would care about style.

68pplcharger

Can't say that the styling was great on the new GTO... Definitely didn't stand out. But the car is small and has a hell of a good running small block in it. I own one, and have kicked it sideways at 100 mph on the highway speed shifting to 4th gear. Doesn't do it every time, one wheel wonder, but it definitely lays several feet every time.  :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

I foresee the day when individual marques will disappear. I've long thought that part of the reason the car companied are in trouble is because they offer too much variety, more marques make for lower production numbers and higher per unit cost.

Just call it a Chrysler xxxxx or a Ford xxxxx or a GM xxxxx
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

captnsim

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 18, 2009, 05:53:37 PM

I foresee the day when individual marques will disappear. I've long thought that part of the reason the car companied are in trouble is because they offer too much variety, more marques make for lower production numbers and higher per unit cost.

Just call it a Chrysler xxxxx or a Ford xxxxx or a GM xxxxx
:o Your scaring me... :-\ Please stop thinking those...thoughts... :faint:

68pplcharger

:iagree: John has a strong point. I hate to say it... GM started the precedent , implied in the name, and I've seen Japanese cars with American engines and vise verse since the 80's. The big three might become the big one some day.

elanmars

Quote from: Ghoste on February 18, 2009, 04:30:28 PM
The new GTO?  Hmmmm, yes and you would have thought Dodge would have learned from the mistake where resurrecting hallowed nameplates are concerned.

i agree. that gto is nothing but the name slapped on a turd, much like that dodge chrysler slapped the mighty charger name to.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

ACUDANUT

Quote from: elanmars on February 18, 2009, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on February 18, 2009, 04:30:28 PM

i agree. that gto is nothing but the name slapped on a turd, much like that dodge chrysler slapped the mighty charger name to.
Amen to that !!

moparjohn

I am not sad to see saturn go, never liked em (JMO) I never thought they should have gotten rid of Olds, remember the Cutlass?  But allass Pymouth went to an undeserved grave, it should have been the "hyundia" of Chysler.  I think Chrysler should axe the Compass/patriot/sebring line I can't belive the Durango/Aspen sells less cars.  The PT was a popular model for a while, but it's been around a while and could go or be re-invented as a reto mod with a more modern spin.  I know I'm a stubborn old Mopar fan, but I never have had thoughts of buying anything else.  I hope they can get put themselves back on track.   
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

squeakfinder

It doesn't help when GM and Chrysler ask for more bailout money like they just did. That can't help buyer confidence.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

TheGhost

Quote from: moparstuart on February 18, 2009, 04:27:44 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on February 18, 2009, 04:22:45 PM
what about that abomination the NEW GTO   :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :scared:
  they really missed the mark there

I'm beating a dead horse, here, but they got the new GTO SPOT ON with how the old GTO was.  The old GTO was simply a Pontiac 2 door, with a powerful engine.  It looked like any other Pontiac on the road at the time.  The 04 GTO was the EXACT same thing.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.