News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just Another 69 Build... with a long story and pictures

Started by Long Island RT, February 16, 2009, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Great looking job on the dash! I love what you did with the MSD too...that's a good idea.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rolling_Thunder

damn...   looking good man!  and here I am trying to restore my stock dash...    I thought about doing something similar with auto meter gauges but didn't think I had the skill....      now it is 4 years later and will end up doing this in the future    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 21, 2009, 12:40:18 AM
Great looking job on the dash!

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 21, 2009, 01:14:32 AM
damn...   looking good man!  and here I am trying to restore my stock dash...    I thought about doing something similar with auto meter gauges but didn't think I had the skill....      now it is 4 years later and will end up doing this in the future    :2thumbs:

:yesnod:   :yesnod:  :o   Nice work.  I'm not a fan of non stock dashes but you are changing my mind thats for sure...  :2thumbs:

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69*F5*SE

Yes, you're doing a great job for a custom dash. 

Brock Samson

very nice!   :2thumbs:   :cheers:   :drool5:  I'd love to have the $ to redo mine as completely and with that attention to detail...
But I'd be afraid to bite off that much...   :-\
Can't wait to see it finished.. Good work!

:popcrn:

Long Island RT

Thanks for all the comments.  I love documenting my progress on this site.

Oddly enough - I'm going for a custom dash that's looks as original as possible - to me at least.

The only modification I had to make was to weld in a new tab inside the dash and bend one of the originals out of the way...  Just in case I win MegaMillions and want to restore it back to its original look.

As far as the cost - Since I did most of the work myself - It was less expensive than sending out my cluster and bezels to be all redone.  The gauges were a pretty penny but the metal was about 30 bucks and the veneer and sealer was less than a $100 and I have enough to make a matching console :yesnod:

Hopefully I'll have some nice shots of it assembled soon.
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: It  maybe a little late in the game now,..
but could you relocate the Emergency Switch and Parking Brake Light indicator  to beside the washer button?..
in that un-used portion?.   :shruggy:

:popcrn:

Long Island RT

We think alike - kinda.

The flasher switch will be under the headlight/parking light switch.  I removed the dimmer wheel (hopefully I wont need to dim the gauges too often  :-\).  I'll probably put the interior light switch near the light itself or figure that out when I get to it.  I couldn't fit the all the switches in their stock locations (because the gauges are much bigger) without either changing the gauge configuration or moving them into the radio bezel area - which both looked out of place to me.

As for the brake warning light - when I mocked it up next to the wiper switch - I didn't like it.  So then my thought process ended there.

My dad takes a look at it and says - "Hey - why didn't you keep the brake light under the headlight switch like stock and move the emergency flasher over by the wiper switch"  :slap:

DOH - that wouldn't been smart - but yes now it too late   :icon_smile_blackeye:
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Hemidog

ryan053

Do you happen to remember how much clearance there was between the caliper and your rims? Do you know the inside diameter of your rims. I wanted to buy those 12.19" brakes but everyone i talked to said there is no way they will work with 15" rims.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Long Island RT

Quote from: ryan053 on April 21, 2009, 05:02:48 PM
Do you happen to remember how much clearance there was between the caliper and your rims? Do you know the inside diameter of your rims. I wanted to buy those 12.19" brakes but everyone i talked to said there is no way they will work with 15" rims.

Just looked at it - I'd say there's about 1/4" clearance from the edge of the calipers.  It's hard to measure the inside of the rims while they are on the car but I'd say its around 13.75"  I'll get exact measurements if you need it.
I was told the same thing - 12.19 calipers = 17" wheels...??  But it ain't true!
The only other clearance issue you might encounter is with the front(outside) of the calipers.  Whatever rims are used probably need about 1/2" recess from the mounting surface to clear them.  I think most aftermarket whees are like that but if your thinking of steel stockers it could be an issue.

WingCharger

I love almost everything about your Charger! :drool5: :drool5: Wilwood Brakes, SWEET Custom Dash, and some Wheels I would love to have! :drool5:

Can't wait to see it done! :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

ryan053

My car has cragars on it. Thats interesting to find out. I would imagine a 1/4" clearance between the top of the caliper and the rim would be fine. Clearance between the front of the caliper and inside of the rim could be changed with a wheel spacer like you said. Thats awesome to know that they will fit. Thanks a bunch.

Long Island RT

Quote from: WingCharger on April 21, 2009, 07:08:00 PM
I love almost everything about your Charger! :drool5: :drool5: Wilwood Brakes, SWEET Custom Dash, and some Wheels I would love to have! :drool5:

Can't wait to see it done! :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

Thanks - You and me both!!

chargerkid01

so after your dash is done you are gonna make me one right?? I love it  :cheers:

Long Island RT

Got a mig welder - or know someones you could borrow?
That, a jigsaw and a decent set of files then get to work....

I have a feeling the wiring is going to be the hard part for me... :scratchchin:

Anyone know how to modify my old harness to bypass the dimmer switch?

FLG

Do you need the MIG brought to you or can you bring the parts?

Coming along great!

chargerkid01

This is bad , but I have a mig can't use it it thought. Never had the time to sit down and learn :brickwall:. Wat metal supplies do I need??

Long Island RT

I use a die grinder with a cut off wheel on it to clean up my stinky welds.  I sanded/filed down by hand after that.
Not much else needed to do what I did.  For rough stuff - you don't need to use the gas.

The welder is easy and fun - believe me I am an amateur.  If yours is like mine - just open the cover and it shows you which feed rate and temperature setting to use based on the thickness of the steel.

chargerkid01

Long Island RT

Long Island RT

Latest update:

I received the tail light bezels from BE&A - simply awesome....

I did a chance to bolt them in but didn't take any photos yet.

I also mounted all brand new stainless parking brake lines and the pedal assembly - I still need to get under there and take some shots.

I've spending many hours on the dash. I finally painted and the dash frame and mounted the finished metal/veneer,  gauges, switches (that I just got back from the platers) and LED blinkers and high beam indicators.

The alignment of the switches is far from perfect, even after I've fuddled with them for few hours. 

Here's some shots of the custom work I did from the back

As you can see from this shot - I couldn't have gotten everything any closer.
Now I'll start the wiring process - I'm really not looking forward to that at all.

Thanks for all your comments.  I've really been using this thread to document my build.

Hopefully my next post will have it mounted in the car!

69*F5*SE

What holds the tail light bezels to the lenses?  Mine fit together but, there's nothing there to hold the bezels on to keep them from falling off.   Mine weren't on when I got my car. 

Long Island RT

On my original bezels the pins seemed to be "melted" after they were installed.  I actually broke one tab trying to get the old ones off - which from what I understand is very common.  Mike from BE&A told me to use epoxy - worked great.  I feel bad for the guy who tries to remove them in 40 years.....