News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Antifreeze and oil comming out of exhaust ???

Started by ACUDANUT, February 10, 2009, 08:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I have (or thought I had) a good running 318.  When I went to try and start it, I could see antifreeze and a oil mixture comming out of my 1 foot pipes from my exhaust manifold.  No mistake about where it is comming from.
What do you guys think ?? Head gasket or intake problem ??

Ghoste

ACUDANUT

Man, I just got that engine looking damn good too.  All I did was put a different intake manifold on it, BUT that head may have been leaking before and I just never caught it. (Had full exhaust pipes on it and I couldn't see it)  :brickwall:

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

440charger68

life's a garden, dig it.

firefighter3931

It could also be a cracked block.  :eek2: Is this engine in a cold environment and how is the anti freeze ?

Compression test first then a cooling system pressure check.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ACUDANUT

Antifreeze is full, rated at 20 degrees below zero.  Compression test is not really a option. I think I am going to pull this newer intake back off, (that I just put on) and check things out there first.  If all looks well there, I will pull the head and have a machine shop check it out very carefully.  Thanks, I will keep you posted.

ACUDANUT

Found the problem. The new intake manifold did not seal I guess. Antifreeze was leaking into the engine and entering  into the intake/fuel and air port. What's the deal.  I thought I had the correct intake gaskets. What did I do wrong ??
I tried to post pic's but the file is too big. Errrr

The70RT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 11, 2009, 01:48:23 PM
Found the problem. The new intake manifold does not have water ports in the rear of my 318.  Antifreeze is leaking into the engine and entering  into the intake/fuel and air port. ( I thought they were all the same and did not catch this when I put this new intake on) What is the deal. Why would some 318's  have coolant ports at the front and rear of engine and others not.

When taking a ic set your camera on the smallest setting and then load it to a floppya you got it. Intake must  be for a different year  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

W4ATL

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 11, 2009, 01:48:23 PM

Use Microsoft Picture Manager. Right click on the file and select Open With and then select Microsoft Picture Manager. In Picture Manager, select File/Export.  On the right select a new file name so you do not overwrite your hi-res file and under Export using this size select Web Large. Then it will be small enough to upload.

ACUDANUT

Firefighter, did you hear what I did ?? Whats the secret here. I thought I had the right gaskets ??

The70RT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 11, 2009, 02:11:13 PM
How do you use photobucket ??

Save your pics from your camera to a disc or floppy then load them on photobucket. You need a program from your camera installed on your pc to load them unless you have a flashdrive or memory stick. If you can get them on a disc you can load them on here without photobucket.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: The70RT on February 11, 2009, 07:55:31 PM

Save your pics from your camera to a disc or floppy then load them on photobucket. You need a program from your camera installed on your pc to load them unless you have a flashdrive or memory stick. If you can get them on a disc you can load them on here without photobucket.
I loaded them into photobucket. However, how do you then attach them through photobucket to our site here.

The70RT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 11, 2009, 08:08:31 PM
Quote from: The70RT on February 11, 2009, 07:55:31 PM

I loaded them into photobucket. However, how do you then attach them through photobucket to our site here.

Load them on here like you did on photo bucket. Hit the Browse button below for attachments........I assume you tried that?

ACUDANUT

I tried the browse button, but it did not take me to photobucket. (only back to my photos on my Pc) ???

The70RT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 11, 2009, 09:24:18 PM
I tried the browse button, but it did not take me to photobucket. (only back to my photos on my Pc) ???

You will only be able to load from your PC. You don't need a a picture posting site to post on here. Now on the 70 Charger Registry you need a picture hosting site.

ACUDANUT

let's try this

ACUDANUT

more.

ACUDANUT

notice the valve covers got bent, from this intake being so wide.
You may need to enlarge these pics on your end.  ERRR, I had to downsize them to load and now you have to enlarge to view.  :brickwall:

firefighter3931

It's been year since i pulled a smallblock apart so i have a few questions ;

(1) does water go through the back of this intake ? Are there water passages in the heads out back....i'm assuming so because the heads can be swapped from side to side.

(2) the pics are small but it looks like the rear passage on that intake manifold is blocked off. Do you have another smallblock manifold to compare it to to see if this is correct ?

(3) how do the intake manifold bolts fit ? Do the bolt holes line up ? Has this block been decked or the heads milled ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ACUDANUT

Firefighter aka "BOSS" No water goes through the back of the intake. (I thought so too)..It's blocked off on both a factory and aftermarket manifold.
All bolts all line up. Factory virgin engine. Never been to machine shop. Still has factory plug wires even.
Please try to enlarge the pic's on your PC.
Thanks for the help and any advice.   I too, have not touched a small block in 10 years (I like big blocks).

firefighter3931

Ok, that's making sense now.  :yesnod:

What are you using for intake gaskets ? Is the rear waterport blocked off by the gasket ? What type of sealant/rtv are you using ?

It appears that the coolant is being sucked into the intake port for some reason.  :yesnod:

On Big blocks i use Ultra Copper high temp silicone on both sides of the gasket and let it set-up overnight to cure before doing the final torque.

Ron

Challenger340

Try some Fel-pro "printo-seal" Intake Gaskets, or, just use another set of stock type gaskets, and try some silicone around the front water passages on both sides. Torque in a circle, starting in the middle of the Intake, and go to 30-35 ft/lbs.

Dunno other than that, could the Intake have been milled at some point in it's life ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

ACUDANUT

I was using a older felpro intake gasket kit (plain metal).  BUT, after buying a new felpro gasket kit, it looks like might have been missing those four plastic gap fillers that go into the gasket/head plus the new gaskets is blue paper with metal inside with those plastic gap fillers, and I am sure this will SEAL this time.  :icon_smile_big:           I also used pertatex ultra blue silicone on both sides of the gaskets. It better seal. I'll keep you posted. Thanks. MIke