News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

McLeod clutch and my future motor ???s

Started by dstryr, February 06, 2009, 03:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr

Here's the McLeod setup in my 6bbl Road Runner that I have had for almost 6 years with great results. 

360250 12" pressure plate     street p/p
260853 12" disc, 18spline      800 series disc
16061 TO bearing

I am having a 505cu inch stroker built and will be in the 560+hp range and 600lb/ft torque range.  Do pressure plates get re-surfaced when a new or rebuilt disc goes in?  The motor will probably be at the upper limit for the clutch but for now my bias ply redlines will be where the rubber meets the road so the clutch shouldn't suffer too much from this setup.  I have a new Hays SFI rated flywheel and will be pulling the trans soon to get started on the motor swap.

Approx. how much $$ to rebuild the disc, assuming it is rebuildable?  Is it more economical to ship it in for a rework or just buy new? 

Anything I should be considering short of going to a street twin?

Thanks,
Frank
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Mick70RR

I'm running a McLeod 12" pressure plate and 800 series disc on a 505 cu in stroker and it feels like it's up to the job. I had to adjust it after a few hundred miles but it's been fine since then and I have a few thousand miles on it.
I ordered the clutch kit from Brewer's Performance and they first sent me the wrong kit by mistake, it was an organic 11" disc and lasted about 2000 miles before it was cooked. I emailed Brewer's with the part numbers they had sent me and without question they posted the correct kit the next day free of charge. Can't argue with service like that.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

oldschool

i use their street twin in all of my cars.one makes 840 hp. in a full weight 70 charger. one of them,in a 70 cuda with 700 hp,has been in there for 12 years.i think they are one of the best clutches made.you can send it back to the factory for rebuild.i sent one of mine back for overhaul.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

dstryr

Thanks for the replies...

I'll either have the disc rebuilt or buy new so I don't have to go in there again soon(I hope ;)) .  Do pressure plates need to be re-surfaced or otherwise serviced?
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

General_01

I bought a Street Twin clutch for my setup. I have not tried it yet because I got it last year while my motor was in the shop getting stroked. I told the guy what I was having done with the motor and he set me up. He races a 9 second Cuda, so he has some self aquired knowledge. His name is Chuck Lofgren. Here is his website.

http://www.lofgrenautospecialties.com/
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed