News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Had Enough BS

Started by Lee A, January 31, 2009, 04:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee A

I had it ,I am going to push my 69 into the dugout.I can't find one auto body guy to work on it even if I walked through a shop with hundreds hanging out of my pockets.I got a 69 Charger number matching 383 T5 with tan interior the motor even has all the original equipment on it except the exhasut manifolds.It needs a new trunk floor a new front floor panel,rockers and the rear tail section.My best friend is a body guy and lazier than shit he wouldn't even paint my air induction hood for my duramax!!!!And to add insult to injury I have been to about 4 or 5 autobody shops with in a 50 to 100 km raduis of my house and they all say oh we got a 3 year waiting period but yet there are no projects around the shop and now that people know I have this they have been calling and asking if I want to sell and just by talking some have been autobody guys but they are too busy also so I say no I'm too busy to sell it.I would post pics but after the couple of years of hanging around here I can't even get a GD picture to load onto my F---ing profile I am ready to throw the computer in the car and now push the whole works into the dugout!!!!!
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

1969chargerrtse

That's odd with a slow economy that body shops say they are busy?  As for the picture issue.  There is a help section, main page down neare the bottom.  Key thing is to make it small.  Sit back, relax and stop thinking about it for now.  What state are you in that the body shops are busy?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

mikepmcs

By the lingo, I'm guessing he isn't in the US, maybe Canada.
If you are still having trouble posting pictures email them to me at mikepmcs@yahoo.com.  I'll resize them and post em up.
Pics gotta be under 200kb and have some funky names so they don't duplicate what's already here.  (ex:  kjhgkjbh6655432)

Sorry about your car troubles, looks like you're gonna have to do it yourself possibly.

Welcome aboard. :wave:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemi68charger

Lee...
maybe I can help with the pictures.. Send me an instant message and I'll pass on my cell number.. I understand when you get frustrated, it isn't fun...........

You can either click my profile or click on the lower-most right icon below my picture where is comes up as "Personal Message online".... I'll send you a message as well..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Back N Black

I feel your pain, i had the same problem when i was trying to find a body shop. I finally settled on a shop that would work on it during their slow time. Apparently they did not have too many slow times because i got the car back 2 years later. The up side of it was i had lots of time to restore everything that i removed from the car. Maybe that's what you can do while your waiting for a shop? Start restoring all the small items i.e steering column, seat tracks, dash frame, heater box, grill, start buffing the stainless trim.

68 CHARGER R/T

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 31, 2009, 08:09:05 AM
If you are still having trouble posting pictures email them to me at mikepmcs@yahoo.com.  I'll resize them and post em up.
Pics gotta be under 200kb and have some funky names so they don't duplicate what's already here.  (ex:  kjhgkjbh6655432)

Sorry about your car troubles, looks like you're gonna have to do it yourself possibly.

Welcome aboard. :wave:

making fun of us canadians       ehhhh   :icon_smile_big:

daves68

Lee, First, most of us have been there at some point in our projects. I had a simiar experience with mine recently. No body shop wanted to mess with it because they don't make enough $$. They are more interested in the fast turnaround, new part replacement, insurance work. Lets face it - they can slap some panels on, squirt some paint and have it out the door in 1-2 days where resto work takes wks or mos. I gave up and learned body work myself. With the help of my brother and some close friends, we did it. Even built a home made rotisserie. When I could not beg or bribe a body shop to paint it, we made one in the garage, completely plastic wrapped it with ventilation and all. Had a friend with spray experience come over and lay it on. Ordered the vinyl top and headliner this wk. The "gang" is going to learn  how to apply one by trial and error. Mistakes? Plenty of them but they can be repaired easier than you think and no one but you will ever know. Car looks fine now and should be on the road soon. Hang in there and stay on this site. There is a wealth of information and I have found that the folks here are more than willing to help you.  You can do it so Git 'er done!
Dave

nh_mopar_fan

autodynamics

maybe you need a better best friend..

Mopar2Ya

Hang in there & don't give up. Finding a good/willing body shop can be very hard. Those that are willing are not always good, either. I must have contacted over 10 for mine & most said no, & that they only do insurance claims(because they can rip off the insurance companies). Maybe someone on here knows of a reputable place near you? GL.
Quote from: autodynamics on January 31, 2009, 10:35:12 AM
maybe you need a better best friend..
+1.  :rofl:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

jaak

Been there! Thats what gets me you read all the time post saying "car painted", etc. Thats my question... where in the hell do they find these people to work on them. The one guy that agreed to do my car kept it two years and didn't do anything with it. So me, like Daves68 decided if I want it done I need to do it myself. Im slow, but atleast progress is getting made.

Jason

mikepmcs

Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on January 31, 2009, 09:48:40 AM

Heck no, please don't take that wrong.  I merely said that because Lee used km instead of miles.  Also the word dugout is not commonly used for that purpose in the US.
Sorry , if it came off wrong. :cheers: :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

The70RT

When you take pictures with your digital camera take them on the lowest setting then load them on a floppy and then just load them on here. As for your avatar pic you may have to shrink it on a picture hosting site? Sorry about your luck. Don't force anyone to work on it. Many horror stories around on here about shops so careful.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68 CHARGER R/T

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 31, 2009, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on January 31, 2009, 09:48:40 AM

Heck no, please don't take that wrong.  I merely said that because Lee used km instead of miles.  Also the word dugout is not commonly used for that purpose in the US.
Sorry , if it came off wrong. :cheers: :2thumbs:

i'm just joking with ya    :icon_smile_big:

Back N Black

For pics, i e-mail them to myself and it pops up "make picture smaller", click yes and they are good to go.

hemi-hampton

Send it to me, I'm not to busy & just finished a 69 T5 car. LEON.

Stanleyart

Quote from: Lee A on January 31, 2009, 04:02:21 AM
I had it ,I am going to push my 69 into the dugout.I can't find one auto body guy to work on it even if I walked through a shop with hundreds hanging out of my pockets.I got a 69 Charger number matching 383 T5 with tan interior the motor even has all the original equipment on it except the exhasut manifolds.It needs a new trunk floor a new front floor panel,rockers and the rear tail section.My best friend is a body guy and lazier than shit he wouldn't even paint my air induction hood for my duramax!!!!And to add insult to injury I have been to about 4 or 5 autobody shops with in a 50 to 100 km raduis of my house and they all say oh we got a 3 year waiting period but yet there are no projects around the shop and now that people know I have this they have been calling and asking if I want to sell and just by talking some have been autobody guys but they are too busy also so I say no I'm too busy to sell it.I would post pics but after the couple of years of hanging around here I can't even get a GD picture to load onto my F---ing profile I am ready to throw the computer in the car and now push the whole works into the dugout!!!!!

Hey man, Just take a deep breath and back away for a few minutes, then come back to it. Not knowing where you are located, I do have someone to recommend and depending on your schedule of payment, he'd get it done between 6-12 months. If it's just bodywork that you need I couldn't imagine more than 3-5 months.

jaak

Leon, I wish I did live close to ya, I love to see pics of your work!

Jason

68pplcharger

Been there done that! I started to learn body work when I was 17, so I didn't have to deal with people that either didn't have the time or skill to do the job right. If they had the skill then I couldn't afford it anyway. If nobody can find the time in there busy schedules sitting around the shop doing nothing, then I would learn for myself. It takes time and alot of patients when you first start out, but it's worth it. If your friend wont do it, hopefully he is a good enough friend to teach you the correct way to do it yourself.   :Twocents:

daves68

Hang out at some local cruise nights and swap meets. Talk up your car and what needs to be done. You will make some new friends and may get the help you need. Be willing to help them too. Works both ways. And, you can learn by working on someone elses car.

hemi-hampton

Here's another view, Picture kind of dark though. You may see this car at Detroit Autorama & Chrysler Museum CEMA Show since the Owner works at the Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, Michigan. LEON.

mikepmcs

Quote from: jaak on January 31, 2009, 03:08:52 PM
Leon, I wish I did live close to ya, I love to see pics of your work!

Jason

+1 Add me to that list!! :wave:

That car looks awesome

hemi-hampton

More light in this Pic. LEON.

bmoparmofo

69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

Sublime/Sixpack

It seems that most body and paint shops just want to do Collision work now days.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak