News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger

Started by clanton, January 26, 2009, 05:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clanton

Heres a pic of the "tar" that came out of the carb I had put on the car after running for 1/2 hour
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

The70RT

Nice car man. Looks like you need to clean out the tank or your gonna plug another carb. I would blow the line out as well with some solvent.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

captnsim

One thing to remember is, with new gas the alcohol content ( 10% avg  ) acts as a cleaning agent. This loosens all the tarnish and built up shellac in the tank and lines...Fouling filters and carbs. In some cases attacking the rubber fuel lines from the inside causing them to collapse as well. With flushing the tank and lines I'd also replace all rubber lines. Also be prepared to change the fuel filter once or twice after as a fouled fuel system is hard to fully clean.
Nice car :2thumbs: Don't get discouraged...The more you do to it the easier it all gets.

SeattleCharger

Quote from: clanton on February 09, 2009, 10:11:44 PM
Heres a pic of the "tar" that came out of the carb I had put on the car after running for 1/2 hour

Hey, that's kinda good news, looks like its an issue of car sitting a long time, and that the motor is probably ok :2thumbs:     I'll bet you'll be way attached to that car before ya know it. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

b5blue

I think I saw a NOS carb for sale for a 383 in parts for sale here, try member "partsalot". Good luck...Great car!

TUFCAT

You got your money's worth on that one! I love the T6 - and I'm a big fan of 70 Chargers.

Now, if you really want something that looks and runs great, I'll be the nice guy and trade you heads up for my unrestored 1967 Coronet....

It runs like a clock and drives like the day it was new.....

Yessir,  I'll take that poor running jalopy off your hands. I'll even deliver the Coronet right to your driveway!

clanton

When I get it running, I'll put it up for sale.
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

TUFCAT

If it really looks like the pictures - -  I'd be proud to own it!  :cheers:

suntech

Honestly i think you did a good deal, if it is like it looks on the pictures, and engine problems is just minor details, if you have a good body.
If you sell this, trying to get a better deal on another one, i think you will be dissapointed. :Twocents:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

TUFCAT

Quote from: suntech on February 16, 2009, 04:42:21 PM
Honestly i think you did a good deal, if it is like it looks on the pictures, and engine problems is just minor details, if you have a good body.
If you sell this, trying to get a better deal on another one, i think you will be dissapointed. :Twocents:

SUN, wait a minute! :scratchchin: I'd really like to own this car!!!  :D  So tell him he paid way to much for it!  :icon_smile_wink:

suntech

Oh man, you really got screwed over on this one, but luckily TUFCAT can get you out of your trouble, he offers you 5 K  :D :D

Did ths sound ok ???:angel:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Dans 68

Quote from: CB on January 26, 2009, 05:41:40 PM
didn't you check the car before you handed over that amount of cash???

I took a 17h flight to check out a car

And I only took a 17 hour drive to look at a car.  :icon_smile_wink:

Seriously, always look at the car before you buy. However, in your case I agree with the members here and say you did fine.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

clanton

Switching out fuel tank, entire fuel lines, and fuel pump today. I had ran the motor just off the fuel in a carb, disconnecting the fuel line then running a   
a line from the fuel pump to a bucket to pump the fuel out of the tank, nothing pumped, entire fuel line is cram packed full of "tar".
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Dodge Don

Quote from: clanton on February 19, 2009, 01:07:53 PM
Switching out fuel tank, entire fuel lines, and fuel pump today. I had ran the motor just off the fuel in a carb, disconnecting the fuel line then running a   
a line from the fuel pump to a bucket to pump the fuel out of the tank, nothing pumped, entire fuel line is cram packed full of "tar".

Mystery solved. Pretty easy fix and you'll have a brand new fuel system.

b5blue

Don't forget the vapor separator if it has one! Good luck it's a really sweet Charger!

chargerkid01

If I had the cash I'd buy it right now off you it is a beautiful car and some engine and fuels system work is nothing, compared to my 69 charger!!! :cheers: It is a nice car I'd keep it.

CB

Quote from: Dans 68 on February 17, 2009, 04:34:28 AM
Quote from: CB on January 26, 2009, 05:41:40 PM
didn't you check the car before you handed over that amount of cash???

I took a 17h flight to check out a car

And I only took a 17 hour drive to look at a car.  :icon_smile_wink:

Seriously, always look at the car before you buy. However, in your case I agree with the members here and say you did fine.

Dan

but I traveled 5400 miles to check out a car :nana:

Your 70 is a killer!  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

SeattleCharger

4 pages on this thread,  people must like your car  :scratchchin:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Brock Samson

yeah, nice charger even for a yucky '70...  :D
but it's kinda' rare for a new owner to come on complaining about a purchase only to find out the car's a pretty nice one only in need of a fuel system...
i think for 20K you did good...
even if it is a '70...  :lol:

chargerkid01

I travelled from Bloomingdale, Ohio to Odessa, Texas to get my charger. Then I travelled rom Bloomingdale to Superior, Wisconsin to get My parts car I think I have a little more miles than most!! Again Keep the charger or give it to me :cheers: :smilielol:

hemi-hampton

I like it, I'd take it if I had the funds. I recommend you trade TUFCAT even up, He's got a nice car that runs good. LEON.

clanton

I will be considering any reasonable cash (which means close to what I paid for it) offer for this car, once I get it road worthy.
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

The70RT

Quote from: clanton on February 26, 2009, 04:16:18 PM
I will be considering any reasonable cash (which means close to what I paid for it) offer for this car, once I get it road worthy.

You mean once you take care of thr fuel system? So you still just don't like it for some reason  :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

clanton

She fired up, has good power. Suspension is a lil mushy. Heres a pic of my 4 spd H code, and my SE.
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

clanton

Oh the 68 H code 4 SPD is not for sale
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.