News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why get married?

Started by 69chargerboy, January 26, 2009, 02:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerboy

I'm contemplating getting married, everything is going great both have separate homes, money, etc... We are fortunate enough to come from families that never experienced divorce, I'm afraid, I hear too many horror stories around me...if I do, I'm getting a pre-nup for my Charger  :icon_smile_big:  So why should I get married?  :popcrn:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

PocketThunder

OH GOD here we go...   :o

I tell you what, i went thru my parents being divorced when i was 6.  All my life i said i would never get married, but i did, and its working out just fine.  I only tell my friends one thing.  "The secret to a happy marriage is 2 TV's, one upstairs and one downstairs"   :rofl:  Before you lived together you watched what you wanted on your TV, she watched what she wanted on her TV.  Now that you live together she watches what she wants on your TV and if you dare turn the channel she will talk in you ear untill you turn it back.   :brickwall:

Oh and when you want to go out with the guys or buy a car part that you have money saved up for just remember "Its easier to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission".   :cheers:

I could go on all day long, but, just remember, when you get married, "your money is her money and her money is her money".   :icon_smile_blackeye:

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

skip68

Let me see a picture of her and then I'll make my decision.   :yesnod: :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ponch ®

In the past I would be saying "Don't do it", but now I'd just be guilty of not heeding my own advice...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

skip68

Seriously, this is something that you have to decide on your own.   :yesnod:  Just make sure it's for the right reasons.   :yesnod: :cheers:  How long have you been dating her ?    Chuck.................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Old Moparz

Quote from: 69chargerboy on January 26, 2009, 02:18:02 PM
So why should I get married?  :popcrn:

How ugly are you? It could be your only chance at sex.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69chargerboy

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 26, 2009, 02:46:00 PM
Quote from: 69chargerboy on January 26, 2009, 02:18:02 PM
So why should I get married?  :popcrn:

How ugly are you? It could be your only chance at sex.

Ha! That's a good one... I think I'm attractive, In shape, good carreer..... Still funny  :lol:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 

Cuda Hunter

I have lived with my Woman for over 10 years.  We are not married.  We do everything as if we were married but we just don't have a legal paper stating that we are bound.  Makes everything so much easier.  Still have her on my insurance and joint bank accounts.  Everything is the same just without the paper.  And if we break apart, there is no taking my personal belongs with her.  And I can't take hers either. 

mikepmcs

I'll throw my hand on the table....

Only 1 reason to get married to me and that is.... You want children and feel compelled to start a family.  Cannot grasp the concept myself, absolutely no reason for it to me personally, except stated.  Everything else can be done without getting married including having children technically, but that wouldn't be fair to the kid IMO.  If you tie the knot, then split up, someone's gonna get the others stuff and it's just a headache all around.  If their are kids involved then it's even worse.  Why not just be together but live in separate houses(no cohab law this way as far as I know) and have fun and all that romantic stuff but still have your own houses and a place to retreat to when you are all done playing together.  I mean really think about it, what advantage(not talking financially) do you have getting married.  It's a huge stressful expense to begin with and it doesn't get any cheaper during or after the marriage is dissolved.  No reason for it.  Most people get married because they think that they have to or it's the right thing to do, and that's the first sign of doom right there. :Twocents:
I could go on but my personal point is in there somewhere.

You asked.  If you two have a good relationship then she would stay with you marriage or not, unless, like I said, she has to get married or vice versa, you have to get married.

Disclaimer:  I'm not trying to alienate any members here or judge you in any way, this is my personal opinion and hopefully will not influence our relationship/online friendship in any way.  If you're married and you are happy I applaud you and respect your decision.

I'm open to any feedback BTW but please keep it civil, this is strictly my opinion but will be happy to go pros and cons with any and all comers.  
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Quote from: Cuda Hunter on January 26, 2009, 03:03:04 PM
I have lived with my Woman for over 10 years.  We are not married.  We do everything as if we were married but we just don't have a legal paper stating that we are bound.  Makes everything so much easier.  Still have her on my insurance and joint bank accounts.  Everything is the same just without the paper.  And if we break apart, there is no taking my personal belongs with her.  And I can't take hers either. 

Just be careful of how proof is obtained to be deemed "Common Law Marriage"  in Colorado. 

http://sls.colostate.edu/Docs/CommonLaw.pdf
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Khyron

Just sell all your stuff. Give her half, and go get drunk.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

PocketThunder

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 26, 2009, 03:13:12 PM
I'll throw my hand on the table....

Only 1 reason to get married to me and that is.... You want children and feel compelled to start a family.  Cannot grasp the concept myself, absolutely no reason for it to me personally, except stated.  Everything else can be done without getting married including having children technically, but that wouldn't be fair to the kid IMO.  If you tie the knot, then split up, someone's gonna get the others stuff and it's just a headache all around.  If their are kids involved then it's even worse.  Why not just be together but live in separate houses(no cohab law this way as far as I know) and have fun and all that romantic stuff but still have your own houses and a place to retreat to when you are all done playing together.  I mean really think about it, what advantage(not talking financially) do you have getting married.  It's a huge stressful expense to begin with and it doesn't get any cheaper during or after the marriage is dissolved.  No reason for it.  Most people get married because they think that they have to or it's the right thing to do, and that's the first sign of doom right there. :Twocents:
I could go on but my personal point is in there somewhere.

You asked.  If you two have a good relationship then she would stay with you marriage or not, unless, like I said, she has to get married or vice versa, you have to get married.

Disclaimer:  I'm not trying to alienate any members here or judge you in any way, this is my personal opinion and hopefully will not influence our relationship/online friendship in any way.  If you're married and you are happy I applaud you and respect your decision.

I'm open to any feedback BTW but please keep it civil, this is strictly my opinion but will be happy to go pros and cons with any and all comers.  

Mike i agree with you 100%.  Unless the couple involved is going to have kids, there is really no "need" to put it on paper.   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69chargerboy

So far so good, we have dated for 5 years, she's a great woman, beautiful, smart, has a few bucks in the bank.... I do eventually want kids, who will take the Charger when I'm gone?  :icon_smile_big:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 

mikepmcs

Although commendable, cause you've already beat the national average, 5 years, or, time for that matter is not a gauge on a successful relationship. I agree however that some time is better than nothing......like  meeting Britney in Vegas for 3 hours and getting hitched only to split in a day is a little on the short side.  I've seen splits and divorce at 10/15/20/30 years. People change as they get older, minds think differently, priorities are different, and those young hotties are always gonna be there if you catch my drift. 

But, like I said, if you want a family, then let me be the first to congratulate you.  In the prenup, put "not allowed to dissolve the marriage" that should take care of everything. But wait, what if you want out, oh well, it was a thought. ;D

Marck

I've been married for 1½ year now, been together 7 years total, and to me absolutely nothing has changed in our relationship.. My wife says the same, we actually talked about this a few days ago..
We had a great wedding, we invited only the people we wanted to share the day with, no "obligation invitations" was sent out..
Our honeymoon went to Thailand, best trip ever, and we got to soake up all the whole experience by ourselves..

If you love her, go for it...  :2thumbs:

69chargerboy

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 26, 2009, 03:47:56 PM
Although commendable, cause you've already beat the national average, 5 years, or, time for that matter is not a gauge on a successful relationship. I agree however that some time is better than nothing......like  meeting Brittney in Vegas for 3 hours and getting hitched only to split in a day is a little on the short side.  I've seen splits and divorce at 10/15/20/30 years. People change as they get older, minds think differently, priorities are different, and those young hotties are always gonna be there if you catch my drift. 

But, like I said, if you want a family, then let me be the first to congratulate you.  In the prenup, put "not allowed to dissolve the marriage" that should take care of everything. But wait, what if you want out, oh well, it was a thought. ;D

Very nice, I do catch the drift I'm at the local gym and college everyday, there is always temptation, but I feel this relationship is too important to risk...Not to sound toooo gay, but out of all the women I have dated and been with, she is the one I really love.  I'm about to turn 31 and I would love to start my own family. I don't want to be too old before I have a child or two...
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 

69chargerboy

Quote from: Marck on January 26, 2009, 03:58:59 PM
I've been married for 1½ year now, been together 7 years total, and to me absolutely nothing has changed in our relationship.. My wife says the same, we actually talked about this a few days ago..
We had a great wedding, we invited only the people we wanted to share the day with, no "obligation invitations" was sent out..
Our honeymoon went to Thailand, best trip ever, and we got to soake up all the whole experience by ourselves..

If you love her, go for it...  :2thumbs:

That's great! That's what I hope for....  :cheers:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69chargerboy on January 26, 2009, 04:00:18 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on January 26, 2009, 03:47:56 PM
Although commendable, cause you've already beat the national average, 5 years, or, time for that matter is not a gauge on a successful relationship. I agree however that some time is better than nothing......like  meeting Brittney in Vegas for 3 hours and getting hitched only to split in a day is a little on the short side.  I've seen splits and divorce at 10/15/20/30 years. People change as they get older, minds think differently, priorities are different, and those young hotties are always gonna be there if you catch my drift. 

Very nice, I do catch the drift I'm at the local gym and college everyday, there is always temptation, but I feel this relationship is too important to risk...Not to sound toooo gay, but out of all the women I have dated and been with, she is the one I really love.  I'm about to turn 31 and I would love to start my own family. I don't want to be too old before I have a child or two...

Thats for sure about getting too old for kids.  I'm 33 and have 3 kids ages 4 and under.  I dont know how people who wait till their 40's to have kids can get out of bed 3 times in the middle of the night to change a diaper etc....  I'm dragging right now!   :lol:

Oh and if you're asking, stop at 2 kids.  Then you can still play one on one defense, my spouse and i have to play zone defense!   :rofl:

CB

I don't really believe or better, see myself being in a monogamous relationsship.
That's why I don't have a wedding ring on my finger.
Besides that, I don't care too much being single anyway.
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

charger490

been married 54 years and it has  not been easy but i stick it out.my happyiest year was 55 years ago.LOL got three kids all doing fine and seven grandkids plus one great grandchild. if i had to do it agian i would change girl friends every  5 years

CB

Quote from: charger490 on January 26, 2009, 04:30:37 PM
if i had to do it agian i would change girl friends every  5 years

that's what I mean....
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

RAWPWR

dated the 1st for a year, had 2 boys (one on Real World Brooklyn) got divorced after five years. Meet present wife, engaged 1 month later, yes one month, married 4 months later (didn't have too) plus she had a daughter from her first..little rough at first because of blending families. We have 3 boys together and its been 16 plus years to date, with a grandson and one grand child on the way..
Still have no money, but I kept the 68 Charger that I had from High School. All 6 kids plus son-in-law are trying to get the car  :yesnod: :RantExplode:
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

chargerkid01

I've been with my girlfriend for 3 years now. She will be getting her ring as soon as I get the money I've been spending it on the charger he he don't tell!! I agree if you 2 are in love go for it!!

RAWPWR

yep..sometimes you just know :yesnod: but only you are the one (well her too) that knows.  :rofl:
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

NHCharger

Been married 26 years, two great sons. Some days I would do it all over again, some days I wouldn't.
The amazing thing about being married this long is the communication. I'm currently in my home office on DC.com, my wife is in the living room talking to me, every 30 to 45 seconds I reply with a grunt or an uh-huh so she thinks I'm actually listening to what she is saying. The only problem is she just went upstairs to bed. I either agreed to take the dog outside to go pee (it's 4º out), or  join my wife in bed :ricky:. Not really looking forward to either one.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel