News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 CHARGER 500 COMMERCIAL THAT WAS BANNED FROM BROADCAST

Started by model maker, January 23, 2009, 03:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

model maker

I have in my collection a 1970 Dodge Charger 500 commercial that was BANNED from broadcast and perhaps this will be the very first time seeing it, it is a great commercial.   i will try and post it.
Bert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kSNwAidSk&mode=related&search=
MODEL MAKER

bull

It hasn't been banned on this site. It's probably been posted a dozen times or more in the past three years.

Dodge Don

bull

Quote from: Dodge Don on January 23, 2009, 06:47:11 AM
Bull is correct. That "Elliot" commercial has been readily available for years.

http://1970chargerregistry.com/page7.html

On a similar note, I heard AOL and Microsoft will pay you $245 each time you forward one of their beta test emails. :shruggy:

Ghoste

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2009, 10:07:51 AM
Was it actually banned or not?

That's what I've always heard. Back in '69, whenever they first triend airing it, they got complaints about how sexually charged it was. Especially the girl playing Sheila. But that's just what I heard.

Ghoste

I've had a copy of it for several years but that is the first I had heard that.  It surprises me that it would be pulled in such a non pc era because it isn't out of line with any of the other advertising from the era IMO.

Sublime/Sixpack

I remember much more risque behavior and clothing on the TV show "Laugh-in" back then.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Ghoste

The widely run "Mother Warned Me" or "The Eternal Triangle" print ads were far more demeaning to women I would think.

69*F5*SE

Saw that commercial several times on the net. Go Elliot  :2thumbs:

Dodge Don

I think the marketing message of you get a Charger you get women was probably effective in getting guys attention but conversely the idea that I (as a buyer) would have the same car/taste as a guy like Elliot would make it less desireable....I'm sure every guy would think they are cooler than Elliot right from the get-go.

Sublime/Sixpack

So rather than being "Banned" it was more than likely pulled by Dodge because they thought it would be counter productive so to speak?

WingCharger

What about the animated "EVIL" '69 GTX commercial? :D
Anybody have that? :shruggy:

Ghoste

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 23, 2009, 06:01:45 PM
So rather than being "Banned" it was more than likely pulled by Dodge because they thought it would be counter productive so to speak?

I can't imagine that either.  A company run by men marketing a car to men with the accepted advertising of the day for that particular car?  For example, Dodge ran a LOT of Charger ads in Playboy but I can't recall them plugging the Dart in there.
Does anyone have any evidence of this ad being pulled or banned?

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2009, 09:27:44 PM
Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on January 23, 2009, 06:01:45 PM

I can't imagine that either.  A company run by men marketing a car to men with the accepted advertising of the day for that particular car?  For example, Dodge ran a LOT of Charger ads in Playboy but I can't recall them plugging the Dart in there.
Does anyone have any evidence of this ad being pulled or banned?

Personally I don't know the story on this ad. Its difficult to believe that it was actually banned but thats what I keep reading on message boards. Pulled? Maybe.  I always felt that it was ineffective advertising, sort of along the lines of what Dodge Don mentioned.  If a guy like Elliot drives a Charger who would want one. :Twocents:

426HemiCharger

I have no idea why the ad was banned because it seem fine to me, not offensive at all! :brickwall: :icon_smile_question:
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722