News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vin tag help again...

Started by SmashingPunkFan, January 14, 2009, 11:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

I've been looking into some Chargers I found on the internet, and when you ask someone to send a pic of the VIN tag, they say no.

I'm sorry to ask dumb questions, but does anyone know why?

Thanks for the help!
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

Dans 68

With the vin in hand, and with the help of someone from the DMV, you could find out where the car is located. Some people have had their cars stolen after giving out their vin. A little paranoid, perhaps, but understandable.  ::)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

SmashingPunkFan

True. I just didn't understand the reason, but it makes sense now, lol

Thanks guys!
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

HemiTom

the way i look at it, if im looking for a car and very interested in it and i ask if they would provide the vin and they say no....ill just pass on it...exp on ebay...if you have a Vin then if they try to pull a fast one on you and say the car that was for sale was one of lesser quality...there is no way to prove that was the car you won/bought. if you have a vin then you can say that that is for 100% accuracy that that is the car you bought.

NHCharger

Just tell them to tape over the parts that would give you the vin # of the car. If they won't do that then their hiding something.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ghoste

And not that I don't agree with you Tom but if you were selling and people were asking for the VIN, would you freely give it out or would you worry even just a little bit?

69_500

If I was selling a car then yes I would freely give out the VIN to the car I'm selling. If I'm buying a car, I always ask for the VIN, at least the first 7 digits of it anyways. The last 6 are of no need until you go look at the car. You can tell if your interested by just hearing the first 7.

When I bought my 500 I only heard him say the first 2 digits of the VIN and I said "I'll take it". He stopped then said "But there is a bunch of other letters and numbers after those." To which I replied, "They don't matter I know I want the car, and I"ll be there in 40 hours to pick it up."

Oddly enough the guy thought he was selling a 1970 Charger 500 by the way, but the asking price wasn't for a 70 Charger 500.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 69_500 on April 04, 2009, 09:51:59 AM
If I was selling a car then yes I would freely give out the VIN to the car I'm selling. If I'm buying a car, I always ask for the VIN, at least the first 7 digits of it anyways. The last 6 are of no need until you go look at the car. You can tell if your interested by just hearing the first 7.

I totally agree. The first 7 numbers would matter to me.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic