News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk Pan

Started by jdiesel33, January 09, 2009, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

The new 2 piece trunk pan I got doesnt have all of the holes and such cut out like my original. Which ones do I need to cut out, other than the filler tube? This is for a 68. Sure would be nice it came already done!!!
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

daytonalo

Drain plugs , fuel sender wire . For the record this is par in the panel replacement worrld

hemi-hampton

I like to keep my old trunk floor peices around to lay over the top of the new one & circle the old holes into new. LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 10, 2009, 12:19:19 AM
I like to keep my old trunk floor peices around to lay over the top of the new one & circle the old holes into new. LEON.

:iagree:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

that is fine and dandy but all the pans I replaced consisted of crumbs

hemi-hampton

Crumbs will sometimes work if the crumbs are big enough. LEON.

jdiesel33

Boy, this seems like a really dumb question to ask, so I must not be thinking about it correctly. I assume the only point of the drain plugs is to drain water or whatever other liquid may somehow get in the trunk or cabin. First, when the heck am I ever going to get that much water in that I need to drain it? Secondly, seems like it would be worth the 1 in 1 million chance that the above would ever happen and not even make the drain holes in the new pan. Hell, if I would have to go to all the trouble of pulling the seats and carpet to pull out the drain plugs, I could just get a wet vac and do it. Am I thinking about this correctly? Seems weird to drill drain plugs, then plug them, then cover them up.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

The70RT

Quote from: jdiesel33 on January 20, 2009, 10:10:03 AM
Boy, this seems like a really dumb question to ask, so I must not be thinking about it correctly. I assume the only point of the drain plugs is to drain water or whatever other liquid may somehow get in the trunk or cabin. First, when the heck am I ever going to get that much water in that I need to drain it? Secondly, seems like it would be worth the 1 in 1 million chance that the above would ever happen and not even make the drain holes in the new pan. Hell, if I would have to go to all the trouble of pulling the seats and carpet to pull out the drain plugs, I could just get a wet vac and do it. Am I thinking about this correctly? Seems weird to drill drain plugs, then plug them, then cover them up.

I guess If your back window is sealed good you won't need holes. It is all about looking original.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jdiesel33

Gotcha. I figured the original look was definitely part of it. I just couldnt get a grasp of the actual usage of these things.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

The70RT

Quote from: jdiesel33 on January 20, 2009, 10:22:07 AM
Gotcha. I figured the original look was definitely part of it. I just couldnt get a grasp of the actual usage of these things.

Then you could have a flood or drive off in a lake somewhere....then you would need them. If you spill some beer back there you may want to hose it out  :lol:

jdiesel33

I would need a lot more that that if I drove into a lake!!!!!!! :eek2:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

AutoRust

The body plugs your referring to were stamped to allow water to drain during storage of the pans before assembly.
Think Detroit in the 60's. Large volumes of stuff got stamped and stored until installed on assembly lines. Storage might have been in any place, and if it was outside, water build-up.

Nothing to see here folks, its just a Bluesmobile

jerry

hemi-hampton

OK, I've heard this Question asked 100 times. Here is the facts, no speculation. This oughta be made a sticky so it does not have to be repeated. The Holes are for Drainage as the cars were dipped through numerous Tanks. 7 to be exact. Anybody that cut off a 1/4 panel can see these dip lines behind the 1/4 structures. Heres a Factory Pic. LEON.

jerry

2thumbs:and its plain to see the excess that didn't drain out of trunk floor and floor pans that dried in the ovens.some of the holes were used for attaching body shell sections on jigs for welding.these holes were never meant to be drains for water and why there are no drain valves stuck in any of the holes.       :smilielol:[humor]

AutoRust

Hmmm, first time ever in my life I was wrong !! :icon_smile_big:              :smilielol:

Except when I got married the first time !!    :rotz:

Guess I better explain that to the person who told me that

Thanks for clearing that up Leon, Im gonna save that picture and whip it out next time I see my "expert"

69*F5*SE

That's great info that makes sense to me. Leon knows his Mopars well.   :yesnod:  Ted

Chatt69chgr

With all that dipping and such you would think the trunk pans wouldn't rust out so easily and so fast.  But I guess if the plug had some dirt around it or undercoating then it wouldn't drain and water would just stand in the trunk (after coming in through the lower sail panel area) and with that situation, I guess rust is inevitable.  My charger sat in the garage for most all of it's life but for 6 months per the original owner.  That's when the water got in the trunk and rusted it so badly that I will be replacing it.  Just rusted the bottom of the pan.

runningman

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on January 21, 2009, 11:45:59 AM
That's great info that makes sense to me. Leon knows his Mopars well.   :yesnod:  Ted

I agree, Leon does know his stuff.   :2thumbs:

jerry

whats bad is the fact that so many guys think they had drain holes in there car to drain water . :smilielol:

The70RT

Quote from: jerry on January 21, 2009, 03:47:00 PM
whats bad is the fact that so many guys think they had drain holes in there car to drain water . :smilielol:

Ok so they didn't intend to make the holes to drain water. I remember now their is other threads on here about the jigs etc. I pulled my plugs in the trunk because my back window leaked really bad (see my pics on my resto) The only thing holding it in was the metal by the sail panels. It leaked so bad that where it sat out every so often the first 20 years I owned it. The water ran to one side of my quarter because it was always on a slight incline and filled up a few inches. It rusted the quarter and my trunk extension. Now if I would have pulled the extension plug sooner maybe I could have saved my quarter  :-\ at least water never ran into the other quarter and in turn needed no rust repair at all.

hemi-hampton

The Quarters Trunk Extension has a Drain plug, Plastic Plug with a little nipplehole to release water. It is common for these to fill full of Debris blocking this hole & once blocked the water backs up & sits there rustying away. All along the bottom of your Rockers you will notice little drain holes, These can get blocked full of dirt & rust out rockers. Keep your holes clean ;) :yesnod: LEON.

jerry

you guys are a good bunch on this website. :2thumbs: i was just poking fun . hope i didn't make anyone mad.

The70RT

Quote from: jerry on January 21, 2009, 09:56:44 PM
you guys are a good bunch on this website. :2thumbs: i was just poking fun . hope i didn't make anyone mad.

I didn't mean to sound too testy. It's all good Jerry.

AutoRust

QuoteKeep your holes clean

HEY, lets not get personal now !! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :nana: