News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for a home or land rant.

Started by BB1, January 05, 2009, 12:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB1

I'm and ex Californian and I've lived all over the Western part of this country.
Anything East of the Mississippi I consider weirdo land, freaks ville, tax lover undercover,
nair-do-wells, nut farm hayseeds tobacco chewers.

:smilielol:

I made Kansas my home for the last 14 years, and I've had no luck finding a place to call home.
I really hate the homes here in Kansas & Missouri. All these crappy split level homes and 4 story monsters make me sick.
The closer you travel to the down town is like a time machine, like her are the 80' homes then the 70' 60' 50' 40' 30' 20' teens.

San Diego we never had basements, most of the time they're moldy damp places to store junk.
Tornado's my ass, never seen one. I'll build my own storm shelter.

Every real estate person keeps showing me crap I don't want!  :brickwall: :brickwall:
Conventional cookie cutter homes with a little garages ain't going to cut it.

I want to build a 2 feet thick walled garage that can hold 20 cars with room to spare. I will build a little apartment in one corner with one bed room, kitchen, office, bathroom.
That is heaven, I will call it "Mafia central" the ultimate MoPar Garage in the Midwest.

Ahhhhhhhh !!!!!!

Rant off

Delete my profile

bakerhillpins

Sounds like you may want to look into building an underground home.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

PocketThunder

Time to buy the land and build your own place.   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BB1

Yup, I think I may go there.

Does anyone have big garage blueprints. Steel building, brick, earth?
Delete my profile

PocketThunder

Quote from: BB1 on January 05, 2009, 01:20:32 PM
Yup, I think I may go there.

Does anyone have big garage blueprints. Steel building, brick, earth?

How big?   :popcrn:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

PocketThunder

BigBlockSam

I want to build a 2 feet thick walled garage that can hold 20 cars with room to spare.

:yesnod: me too . i want it to look like a barn  and the house to look like a farm house , with a big wrap around porch. an apartment over the garage so my nephew can live there and help with the bills .  :yesnod: :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Finn

I'll take one of these please! :drool5: :drool5:
*check out the inside pics as well*
http://www.sandiegohangarhome.com/
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

BB1

WoW thanks for the input, I will seriously look into these.  :yesnod:
Delete my profile

Todd Wilson

A guy I used to work with on the railroad before he retired built him a big Morton building  and then finished a corner of it into an apartment. It was very cool. He had doors on each end. A lift and wash bay. He could pull his car inside. Get out and had a bench right there where he could sit down and take off his shoes or boots. Hang his coat up and then go inside the apartment. Winter time his winter vehicle he would park in the wash bay and it would drip dry as the shop was heated as well as the apartment. He had various heating options and kept the shop area much cooler then the apartment but could warm it up to tshirt temperature with no troubles. By keeping his shop at a certain temp level his apartment was easy and cheap to keep warmer. His building was tall enough for a Semi truck to come into. He had storage up above the apartment. Had a built in storm shelter right there inside the building.

Find you some land somewhere and build you a building!

Todd

500hp_440

my neighbors freind built a 2000square foot garage with its own shower, and kitchen, and a house on it!
then he got married :pity: him
its down here in Florida, but you can buy my neighbors house (me on one side and a pig stie on the other so you can build a huge garage in the back yard), id like that especially if you let me work on my charger in it  :D
or i can try to locate the plans for that garage for you
Let it alone^.

RallyeMike

QuoteAnything East of the Mississippi I consider weirdo land, freaks ville, tax lover undercover,

There's lots of nice places in the West that don't fit this description if: You have to stay at least 150 miles from the Pacific coast, avoid California, and anywhere exceeding about 50,000 people in one spot. I think it has something to do with earthquake nerves and sea air (on shore winds blowing strange things in from China, you know?).

I like your idea. I always thought it would be nice to buy an older, small warehouse in town. Build a little warm spot in a corner with some stairs to the roof for the summer time. Drive your car right inside and roll right out onto the couch without even touching the floor.  No lawn to mow. No trees to trim. Mail placed right through the slot in the door. :scratchchin:  I had a buddy that once live in an ex-gas station in a town of about 200 people. That was sweet a sweet place.

Good luck on your search.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

I've always wondered about the idea of converting a large daylight basement into a shop. Most daylight basements I've seen are comprised of wasted space so why not make them useful. The biggest problem I could see would be a lack of adequate height.

PocketThunder

Quote from: bull on January 06, 2009, 11:40:55 AM
I've always wondered about the idea of converting a large daylight basement into a shop. Most daylight basements I've seen are comprised of wasted space so why not make them useful. The biggest problem I could see would be a lack of adequate height.

What is a "daylight" basement?

Old Moparz

The best thing you can do is just find one realtor that doesn't have their head up their ass & stick with that person. Seems like most of them will show you what you don't want, or can't afford. When I was looking for my house, I remember 3 or 4 realtors who pissed me off so much I simply called another realtor. They'll tell you to call them if you see a house with another realtor's sign because they're a multiple listing agent, but if they're an idiot, why call them?

We were looking for a house with just 3 simple requirements, nothing difficult. We qualified for more than we wanted to spend & realtors HATE that.

1)  Don't show us anything over $150k.
2)  Had to have a garage, at least a 2 to 3 car size, or a barn.
3)  No bi level or split level homes.

So what does one realtor show us? A cape style house with a 1 car garage for $149k.   :shruggy:

The next one shows us a modernized cape with a 3 car garage, but for $349k.  ::)

Another realtor drives us to a house in the next county where we said we wouldn't go to, & shows us a bi level with no garage at all for $179.   :brickwall:

We ended up finding our own house advertised in a real estate magazine for less than we wanted to spend. It had no garage, but had room for one & the money we saved let us build it. There are some really decent real estate agents out there, but unfortunately there are a lot of nimrods that will piss you off immensely before you find them.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Old Moparz

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 06, 2009, 11:41:53 AM

One where the basement level is above grade.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

moparstuart

a walk out ? 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bull

Quote from: moparstuart on January 06, 2009, 12:03:22 PM

a walk out ? 

Yes, a "walk out" I guess. Apparently I've stumbled upon a regional term used to describe a basement that's partially exposed, typically used on houses that are built on hillsides. The downhill side of the basement is exposed to (usually) the back yard and the sides are gradually enveloped by the earth as you travel up hill so that most of the sides and all of the opposite end are underground. Like so:

Getting back to my idea, I was thinking instead of using the daylight basement as living area I would convert it into a shop and keep the typical two-car garage up top just for parking the commuter cars.

PocketThunder

Thats what i thought you meant.  Yes my friend has a "walk out" or "daylight" basement with a single car garage door on the end and he puts his street rod in there for the winter and then the snowmobiles go in there for the summer. 

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Finn on January 05, 2009, 06:50:17 PM
I'll take one of these please! :drool5: :drool5:
*check out the inside pics as well*
http://www.sandiegohangarhome.com/
I don't think that guy uses his plane very often, unless he backs it out each time.
Cool idea, though. :icon_smile_cool:

Although they're not cheap for most of 'em, scroll through here for a while; http://www.carproperty.com/index.php
There's some cool ones that are listed from time to time.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

SFRT

old fire stations. live upstairs, bad ass shop downstairs. am looking at one now. old station house 33.

'cept since its here it 800 grand.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mike DC

Just watch out for CO2 poisoning if you're gonna have anything above any area with cars or motors.  

About 8 or 10 years ago, a family that lived on the same subdivision block with my parents literally all died because of it.  It was the middle of winter, and the mom & kids started unloading the minivan while the big garage door was still open & the motor running.  Somebody doesn't realize they're the last one at the van, sombody else remote-shuts the big garage door from the kitchen doorframe . . . . you can guess the rest.  The next day all five of them were found dead.  

Silver R/T

that's weird. Over here if you have money you can have your house built way you want it. One of my uncles is a contractor/constructor so it wouldn't be hard for him to build you what you want.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PocketThunder

Quote from: SFRT on January 06, 2009, 01:01:09 PM
old fire stations. live upstairs, bad ass shop downstairs. am looking at one now. old station house 33.

'cept since its here it 800 grand.

When i lived in Chicago on the near north side by Wrigley there was a old telephone building down the street that went up for sale.  I saw the light and was going to do the exact same thing that you are talking about but i looked up the listing and it was $800,000, and this was back in 2000.  Ouch.. :eek2: