News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how long can you leave in bare metal?

Started by 41husk, November 01, 2005, 03:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I am in the process of sanding and many parts are exposed, I can only do a couple hours a night.   How long can the parts remain exposed without starting to rust they are stored inside but the building is not climate controlled?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

andy74

while i was working on my body i had to leave parts in bare metal for a day or 2 at a time,thats all it took for some light scale to develop-id leave everything for as short a time as possible,and plan on re sanding before primer-thats my 2 cents

Jon Smith

depends on various things like humidity, airflow throught the garage etc, could be days, could be years :shruggy:

cudaken

Allen, any surfaces rust you might get will not be a issue. Will buzz right off. I call you here in a few minutes.

Ken
I am back

4402tuff4u

Quote from: cudaken on November 01, 2005, 06:49:51 PM
Allen, any surfaces rust you might get will not be a issue. Will buzz right off. I call you here in a few minutes.

Ken

I agree with Ken. When I droped off my Charger to my body shop guy it was bare metal. I went from the media blast guy directly to the body shop, a distance of about 15 miles. I thought the body shop was going jump on it and apply a coat of primer right away, but that is not the case. My car still has sections that the shop has not been touched yet (he's doing one section at a time)and there is no sign of surface rust. There are areas that it has been bare for approx. 4 months. Yes It's been indoors all this time, but I'm amazed how clean it still is. Before he starts working on a section, he DA's the area, cleans it with 3M metal prep solution and begins his work. That 3M solution is amazing. It cleans the metal spot less.

Not knowing the significance on how clean the metal has to be, I touched the metal with my finger after he wiped it and Kevin the body shop guy yelled and said "dont touch the metal after I wipe it!!" and he had to wiped it again and explained that the body oils will not allow the etching primer to adhere properly.   
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

41husk

thanks guys,  Ken I will poick you up Friday so we can see what we will need to get this stripped the rest of the way and in primer, Thanks
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

cudaken

Call me and let me know what time.

Ken
I am back

41husk

Probably 4pm if that is ok?  Give me a call if not.  I will have some cam2 iced down for ya! 
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

cudaken

COOL, I WORK CHEAP  :icon_smile_big:

Ken
I am back