News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help... Is this a real 440? 1972 Winnebago Pictures

Started by PocketThunder, December 13, 2008, 11:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

I went to look at this '72 Winnebago this morning and the guy said it was a 440 steel crank.  I dont think it is, it appears to have a cast crank, and i didnt see any numbers on the drivers side of the block.  The exhaust manifold was hiding the numbers on the pass side.  Can anyone tell me what this is?  Price is $100 and i haul it out of there.

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

:shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

WingCharger

I thought all 440's up till 1976 were drop forged crank engines? :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:
They started using cast cranks in '76 because the drop in horsepower according to Mopar Action.

Challenger340

Just my opinion, I'm way too old, been way too long for me, to remember visual "posterity" Identifiers,
But,
I think thats a Forged Crank "heavy Rod" Balancer ?

If it is a Cast type Balancer, it should say on the front "Cast Crank Only" in very readable large letters.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

PocketThunder

Quote from: Challenger340 on December 13, 2008, 01:15:08 PM
Just my opinion, I'm way too old, been way too long for me, to remember visual "posterity" Identifiers,
But,
I think thats a Forged Crank "heavy Rod" Balancer ?

If it is a Cast type Balancer, it should say on the front "Cast Crank Only" in very readable large letters.

Is a forged crank a steel crank?

Challenger340

Same thing, when referring to that vintage, "Forged" is "Steel".
The "cast cranks" in those years, were Cast "Iron".

Looks to me, like a Forged Steel Crank, with Heavy(six-pack) style Rods, to me anyways, but I'm old and NOT great at visual identifiers.

Trivia;
"Cast" Steel, is a fairly recent, in last 10 years, term, used to describe Cranks produced from a "steel Alloy", that is melted and poured into a mould, and allowed to melt.
Still a "Cast Crank",
which does NOT retain the same strength, or "metal grain structure" inherent in a Crank Produced from Drop Forging, or "Hammerring a shape", from a malleable piece of red-Hot, but NOT melted chunk of STEEL.

Forged Steel Cranks, are still produced today, and are pricey.
"Cast Steel" is a way of making people "think" in todays world, they have a Steel crank at a far cheaper price.
Cast Steel is must stronger and harder than a regular "Cast" Crank, however NOT as strong as a Forged Steel.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Big_John

From the strange water pump, it looks like it might be a 440-3. That was an industrial engine that was used in a lot of motorhomes.

I'm not sure exactly what the differences are, but IIRC, there are extra water passages in the heads/block and possibly valve rotators.

John_Kunkel

Any '72 model year will be a forged crank, cast cranks didn't arrive until '73.

The motorhome engine could be a 440 or a 413, the stamping in the top data pad will tell the tale. Both had the thick harmonic balancer.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

PocketThunder

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 13, 2008, 08:41:35 PM

The motorhome engine could be a 440 or a 413, the stamping in the top data pad will tell the tale. Both had the thick harmonic balancer.

The pad by the distributor correct?

The70RT

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 13, 2008, 08:44:05 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 13, 2008, 08:41:35 PM

The pad by the distributor correct?

Yep  :yesnod: I could have got one a while back but ended up being a 413. It was stamped on the pad so I passed.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us