News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam Change Questions

Started by Martian R/T, December 08, 2008, 06:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martian R/T

I am thinking about tearing apart my 440 to change out a mushroomed fuel pump pushrod, I am tired of the problems that I am having with my electric fuel pump, but I am trying to decide what to do about the cam, when the 440 was built I got talked into a mechanical cam setup, never have been real happy with it, didn't like adjusting it all the time, I put in a set of roller rockers and that worked better, but still not sold on the mechanical, I don't race it, no high rpm running, pretty much a street cruiser, the mechanical is a .557 lift MP unit, I have been thinking about the .509 lift MP cam, I was planning to keep the roller set up, I will have to order new push rods, but need input from all you engine builders about what I need to do, it has been too many years since I have been into an engine, any help is appreciated, Thanks. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

firefighter3931

How much stall and gear does your car have ? The 509 is a bigger cam (duration) than the 557 solid and needs lots of stall and gear to work right.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Martian R/T

I am running a 2500 Stall converter with 3:55 gears
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

Sublime/Sixpack

That cam would be happier with atleast 3.91 gears.   :Twocents:

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

firefighter3931

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on December 09, 2008, 03:23:37 PM
That cam would be happier with atleast 3.91 gears.   :Twocents:

:iagree: and another 1000rpm of stall. Honestly both the 557 solid and 509 hydraulic are poor choices with your existing stall & rear end ratio.  :P

I would be looking at a hydraulic in the 225*-230*@.050 range. There are several off the shelf grinds that would suit your needs just fine.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs