News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger full quarter - NOS vs. new repro?

Started by A34, December 06, 2008, 06:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A34

Hey Guys, gonna finally start the resto of my R6 car in a month or two. I was wondering now that the repro quarters have come out, are NOS ones easier to find and less expensive?

I have a drivers NOS one and would like to pick up a passenger one. The last one  I saw was $3500 and little buggered up, so I passed.

I don't have anything against the repro's, I'd just rather put an NOS or original used one on, if at all possible/feasible.

BTW, any one use the new AMD repro's? Do they fit, and is the body line correct?

Thanks !!
Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

Ghoste

NOS ones are just as rare as before, after all they are a finite number and growing smaller all the time.  For the same reason they aren't really getting any cheaper.  Unless you feel you absolutely must have NOS panels I wouldn't be the least bit afraid going with the new repops.

Mike DC

If you go with repros and you wanna get as close to NOS as possible, then I would get the "Classic Body Design" quarter skins.  Those are the only time I've ever held a reproduction panel and thought the metal really was 100% as strong/thick as the original stuff was. 

I'm not dissing AMD's stuff or anything.  But I've never held those in person, and they're Asian metal versus USA metal in the CBD parts.  I'm just saying the CBD quarters were awesome. 

BB1

Delete my profile

Dodge Don

Classic Body Design full quarters are fantastic. I have a pair. No regrets!!  :2thumbs:

A34

Thanks guys !!!  I've emailed both repro companies asking them what the difference is between their products. 

I'd rather go with NOS or good used if I can, then I can say my car has all Chrysler sheetmetal on it.

I think it would be a good move if I can swing it financially. If not, then it's repro city.

Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

Hemidog

bull

Quote from: A34 on December 07, 2008, 12:47:48 PM
Thanks guys !!!  I've emailed both repro companies asking them what the difference is between their products. 

I'd rather go with NOS or good used if I can, then I can say my car has all Chrysler sheetmetal on it.

I think it would be a good move if I can swing it financially. If not, then it's repro city.

Well, the good news about NOS stuff is that the prices will likely go down a little now that there's some competition. The bad news of course is that NOS is still going to be next to impossible to find, and it will still be expensive.

One thing you might keep in mind is that the fitment might not be any better with NOS stuff. Some people say that's part of the reason we even have NOS parts in the first place; the stuff got shelved because it was tried and didn't fit back in the day. I doubt that's the case with big body parts because test-fitting it is more difficult but after being kicked around and left for dead for the past 40 years these parts might not be too presentable (as you've already discovered).

Personally I wouldn't take any more pride in an NOS piece over a reproduction and 99% of those you brag to won't care either. But if you're dead-set on NOS you're going to have to exercise a lot of patience in finding it and then forget the concept of customer service if it shows up looking a lot different than it looked on Ebay.

RT/SE

I totally understand wanting to hold out for another NOS quarter.  If you are not able to find another NOS panel in the timeframe you want to get started and you decide to go with the repro USA full quarters, another option may be to sell the full NOS panel you have and pick up a pair of the USA repro quarters so you have the same quarters on both sides.  You may be able to get more for the NOS panel and bring down the total cost for the panel you really needed.  Tough to say in this economy if that would be true or not but I do believe there still is a good market for NOS parts.  Somes folks just prefer all NOS parts for their restos which is totally their decision.  Whatever way you go, you definitely will have one beautiful car when done.  Best of luck with the resto.........RT/SE

Mike DC

Yeah, I think it's true about NOS stuff being rejected.  They'd produce like 120% of what was needed and the bottom 20% went to the NOS shelves, or something like that.

A lot of NOS parts are not any better than a very well preserved used part.

(It's pretty pathetic that these originally-rejected parts are now the gold standard for quality that reproduction parts can't even touch.)

Arizona Dave

Hey all.  I haven't ever seen in person NOS quarters.  6 months ago I purchased a pair of 69 Charger full quarters from Classic Body Designs @ $3200.00 for the pair.  They look great, though I haven't yet installed them.  They're still hanging from the ceiling of my garage.  No problems with the initial quality of the quarters.  I have not yet tested the fit so I can not comment on if they fit properly.  They better fit perfectly for the cash I dropped, eh?

I've been very dissapointed with Ron Lushia @ Classic Body Designs as a person.  Ron is the owner/president.
When I 1st contacted him he talked a good game.  He comes across as a very nice man.  He spent quite a bit of time telling me the history of his business venture.  He said he was with Hardcore Racing previously and when Hardcore's owner got into financial trouble, Ron purchased the Quarter molds and the right to reproduce them.  We spoke about the website extensively.  He wanted to use the story of my Charger on the website.  I purchased the Quarters and continued to speak to him for a few weeks.  I told him that my wife & I are Dukes of Hazzard Histoians and he said he would send us a stack of enlarged photos, taken on the original Georgia set.  He also said he would send my wife a Classic Body Designs t-shirt so she could pose with my car in it, and then I'd take shots as the progress went along.  We were all for it.  Why not?  He went on and on about everything thing he'd done and everything he wanted to do.

Long story short, Ron dried up and refused to return my calls, even though in the messages I left him I told him that I wanted to buy additional quarters for another 69 Hemi Charger project.  I made it very clear that I wanted to give him more $ for more quarters.  The t-shirts and the signed photos never showed up.  At this point I don't think very much of the guy. 

I don't care though.  I got what I wanted:  Full quarters for my 69 Charger.  I just tell this because everyone needs to know that Ron Lushia isn't very organized in his business, nor would I personally trust a word he says.  Other people I have spoken to have also expressed that Ron makes false promises and is a flake.  I find it most irritating when people don't do what the say they're going to do.

I am not making issue with the quality of the product he sells, just the character of the person doing the selling.  It's not a big deal to me - Ron can fall off the earth for all I care.  I got what I needed so I'm done with him. 

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else that has dealt with Ron.  Have your quarters fit properly?
High Speed & Low Drag, Baby!
Look me up when you're in AZ.
Arizona Dave

Dodge Don

As noted I bought a pair from Classic Body Designs. The passenger side is on now with no issues, drivers side next. I dealt with Ron and I had no problems. Nice guy and I was actually shocked at how fast they were shipped. I also bought a set of door skins, also A+ experience.

If a picture and a t-shirt are more important than your quarters then I guess you have a legitimate beef.

Arizona Dave

Nope.  You must not have read my whole post.  :brickwall:
As I said "I don't care.  I got what I wanted: Full quarters for my 69 Charger."

The point is that the guy's full of hot air.  End of story.

His product was delivered & looks good.  It's a shame he soured our relationship with his actions, to the point that now I think he's a flake.  I'm not upset, but I won't recommend him to my friends.   :coolgleamA:

Arizona Dave

suntech

2500 a piece a year ago, 1600 a piece 6 months ago, and now 999 a piece!! That is one thing that bugs me more, together with "call for price" on website. I was ready to drop 5k for a set of new quarters, more than a year ago, but i waited, since i was not in a hurry. If i had bought the same quarters right now, i would have saved 3K!! Wonder what the price will be in another 6 months? :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Arizona Dave

As I said in the last post, I bought a pair of Classic Body Designs aprox 6 months ago for $3200.
The reason for the drop in price, as I understand it is that there really hasn't been that much of a huge demand for the high priced full quarters.

Sure, everybody would love to have USA made, high quality "full quarters" for their charger project, yet people weren't paying the $1600 each inflated price.  The "added value" of installing new full quarters vs. patch panels or even Fiberglass/bondo, wasn't there enough to support $2500 or $1600 per quarter. 
When you say "FULL QUARTERS" there is this magic and mystique that surrounds the phrase.  When a fella says he's replacing "full quarters", there's a moment of hushed awe, as those listening absorb the utter awesome-ness of the aura of the almighty "full quarters".

Yes, it is freakin' really cool to take your project or restoration to that level.  If you're doing "full quarters", then it implies that you know what you're doing, that you're not a bondo packing hack & that your car's going to be awesome - which it will be if you do it right.  I'm impressed by the effort to install new full quarters properly.  If fact, documenting the process of removing the old damaged/rusted quarters and the installation of new full quarters correctly in the restoration process, can add significant interest and value to a vehicle that needed quarter work.

The Charger restoration market long hoped for and wanted a quality full quarter that was produced by the aftermarket.  When they came out @ $2000+ each, the producers/sellers were testing the market to see what it would tolerate.  They got some bite initially, though not enough sales were generated, so the priced dropped to around $1600 each.  Then when they found that price was too high, Ron @ Classic Body started trying to interest guys in becoming distributors of his sheet metal.  Aprox a year ago, a friend of mine paid top dollar and bought 10 pairs, thinking the market demand would huge and he'd be a distributor.  Well, he still has 5 of those pairs of "full Quarters", that he's been unable to sell at the price he needs to cover his buy-in expense.  Now he too will have to lower his price just to move the merchandise.

Now Classic Body Designs has dropped the "full quarters" price again for a "holiday special". 
The point is that Classic Body Designs is still testing the waters to see what the market will pay.  It's just like any new product or new technology that comes out.  Initially the price is very high, then it gradually drops over time as the newness wears off or market saturation starts to happen.  We may not yet be at the "market price", and the $999 may drop even lower.   :brickwall:               
Arizona Dave

knitz01

suntech

The AMD quarters are 699, and some dealers are selling them even cheaper!! :2thumbs:
I dont see any point in going in to the Taiwan versus US made thing again, but personally i dont care where they are made!! If the AMD quarters are as nice as the the Classic ones, i guess CBD needs to lower their prices, and if the CBD ones are CLEARLY better, maybe they dont need to lower the price!!!
Dodge Don has the CBD quarters on, and he is happy with them. He also has their door skins, and they needed work to match. That shows that nothing is PERFECT!! Is the AMD parts perfect?? Has somebody fitted them yet?? I guess this is not answered, at least here yet, but one thing is sure though, that we are all a hell of a lot better off now, with people that goes through the hassle to make us these parts, regardless of where they are produced!!!
As for full quarters versus patch panels, my opinion is that a replacement part that goes all the way out to the original seams, with correct flange, is a lot better than patching the hell out of the body!! :shruggy:
I have pretty much everything AMD has for the 68 Charger, but it wil be a long time before i can give any good info on fitment.

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

375instroke

So, for the longest time, we get squat.  Now, we have two companies making full quarters?

Dodge Don

Quote from: 375instroke on December 22, 2008, 01:21:20 AM
So, for the longest time, we get squat.  Now, we have two companies making full quarters?

Yes. :2thumbs:

Dodge Don

Quote from: suntech on December 21, 2008, 10:06:06 PM
The AMD quarters are 699, and some dealers are selling them even cheaper!! :2thumbs:
I dont see any point in going in to the Taiwan versus US made thing again, but personally i dont care where they are made!! If the AMD quarters are as nice as the the Classic ones, i guess CBD needs to lower their prices, and if the CBD ones are CLEARLY better, maybe they dont need to lower the price!!!
Dodge Don has the CBD quarters on, and he is happy with them. He also has their door skins, and they needed work to match. That shows that nothing is PERFECT!! Is the AMD parts perfect?? Has somebody fitted them yet?? I guess this is not answered, at least here yet, but one thing is sure though, that we are all a hell of a lot better off now, with people that goes through the hassle to make us these parts, regardless of where they are produced!!!
As for full quarters versus patch panels, my opinion is that a replacement part that goes all the way out to the original seams, with correct flange, is a lot better than patching the hell out of the body!! :shruggy:
I have pretty much everything AMD has for the 68 Charger, but it wil be a long time before i can give any good info on fitment.

I agree. Even NOS stuff isn't "perfect". The door skins had too sharp an edge and had to have the lines rounded off a bit to match up perfectly...not a big deal really, used to be you couldn't get "sharp" enough lines. The full quarters were great, saved me a ton of shop hours mucking around with partial panels. The only issue the shop had was fitting to the aftermarket wheel housings but the problem was with the wheel housings and they had to cut out a bit off them and fabricate the rest. Whether you go with CBD or AMD I recommend full quarters over partials. I could have waited to get them for a lower price but then my resto would be even further delayed. If you are just at this point now you definitely benefit from the lower prices. Not sure who manufactured the wheel housings.

I don't know why this has been such a contentious issue for some. I don't buy into the whole "made in USA" thing....it is a marketing gimmick, not a standard of quality. I can't imagine that the AMD quarters would be any different than the CBD quarters and would love to hear from anyone that has used the AMD ones so others can feel comfortable with the quality of both manufacturers.

We (the hobby) should be happy that;

1) These parts are finally, at long last, available

2) That there are multiple companies making them

3) Competition drives down prices

As a 70 owner I was disappointed that AMD announced they were going to make fenders....but only for 68 and 69. However apparently CBD is going to produce 70 fenders. Too bad I'm already done with the work on my fenders. Oh well, but I applaud them for doing them.

superbirdtom

This is great discussion as I am going to start my resto on my 70 r/t charger next year (maybe )  sat in a container under a tarp for 15 years ooopppss  shoulda known better, anyway it is so rusted thet theirs holes in the roof. and it needs full quarters and roof panel. have nos door skins 400 ea.  anyway My trip to new orleans got cancelled yestersday alaska air stopped all flights into portland and seatac seattle . can''t get off this island till dec 24.  anyway thats ketchikan for ya.

I have seen a camaro freak here let me look at full repop 69 z-28 quarters , one pair were 350$$  and another 600$$--- wow what a difference in quality. on the charger panels I would have to look at them side by side and try to fit each one in order to determine which was better. glad to see 70 fenders are being made.I will try to post pics of the charger soon as I believe no one on this site knows about it. theres 4 or 5 68 to 70 chargers here, I will have to get some pics , theres a guy a recluse out the road who has every dead mopar that ever existed on this island, except very few and he has em all outside rusting away, a few under tarps .I sold him a s-bird wing a couple months ago and brought my camera but he had a fit and said no photos ! at one time he had a v code 70 fury. anyway I always go with the more expensive ones but in this case I would have to see and have worked with both in order to give an honest review.  SBT

hemi-hampton

Somebody needs to make a Quality inner wheel well. Putting NOS or used or high quality 1/4 over a cheap garbage Sherman made wheel well is a joke. :brickwall: :brickwall:

suntech

QuoteSomebody needs to make a Quality inner wheel well. Putting NOS or used or high quality 1/4 over a cheap garbage Sherman made wheel well is a joke. 

AMD has them now. I am getting them. Anyone else got them??

71RT4ME

Pop over to Moparts to check out the restoration page.There is a discussion about Classic Body Designs 1/4 panels and the issues they have !
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4884359&an=0&page=0#Post4884359