News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats the deal??

Started by a192074m, December 05, 2008, 01:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a192074m

hey quick question>> i have a 73 SE with a 318>>> why is the motor only rated at 150HP while all the other 318's before that year are rated above 230hp???     :think:

71charger_fan

They changed from a gross hp rating to a net rating. That accounts for most of the difference.

flyinlow

Lower compression,egr valve,timimg changes also.

a192074m

is there a way to get that HP back without costing alot?

a192074m

also, wasnt that the year when they started to add all those emission laws???

Ghoste

This would be the part where the old cliche rings loud, "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?".  Is a power boost on a 318 the direction where you mainly want to put your effort?  I only ask because some money up front into a different engine could prove to be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Ghoste

Emission changes came in bit by bit over the years even going back into the 60's (closed crankcase ventilation, Chrysler Clean Air System, closed vents on carbs and so on)

a192074m

yeh thats true>> maybe ill just focus more on the bodywork if i consider not using that motor but it would be nice to know that it runs

flyinlow

If you want to go quicker at the track. Max bang for the buck would be to change the axle ratio. Most 318's have 2.71 gears in a 8 1/4 axle.

Most of us want to play with the engine first.

318 is a good workhorse. If it is healthy consider:

More ignition timing,faster advance curve.

Dual exhuast,low restriction mufflers. Looks and sounds better.

Good SB, intakes on ebay all the time. Its a heavy car go for low/mid range torque.

600 cfm carb. 

Plug EGR valve.

Three angle valve job , mill head to get compression up. Most 70's 318/360 had bad valve seals anyway. Intake heat cross over would plug, then the choke would not operate correctly.

Would be faster,run better and not hurt gas milage if you keep you foot out of it. :Twocents:

a192074m

yeh that's what i heard about the 318>> its the smaller of the v8's but i can only imagine how much more $$ id be spending if it was say a 440