News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where is the fuel filter?

Started by jdiesel33, December 02, 2008, 11:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

Need to replace the old one. Couldnt find a post in the forum or any info on the web about where it is located. Novice question, still learning. Engine is a 440 magnum, 68 R/t.

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

flyinlow

Sublime/Sixpack

If its stock (untampered with) like already said it'll be slightly above and in front of the fuel pump. Should be black in color and unlike the typical fuel filter. Its actually a fuel vapor separator.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Ghoste

But it could also (if it isn't stock) be glass or metal or white plastic and located anywhere inline between the fuel pump and the carb.

Sublime/Sixpack

62 Max

And if it looks like this it is not a filter ;D

jdiesel33

1968 Dodge Charger R/T

BB1

Vapor lock canister, on higher modal engines there are two lines running from the fuel tank.
One is for fuel, and the other is a return line back to the tank.
Prevents fuel on a hot day from boiling.
Delete my profile

jdiesel33

Hmmm....I did remove the old fuel tank and it had 2 lines going to it. Didnt notice that piece yet though.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

On HP big block engines there wasnt a fuel filter per say but a Vapor Seperator like 62 Max posted a pic of.

It gets bolted to one of the fuel pump bolts as pictured below...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

jdiesel33

Thanks. Good pic.

So I may not even have a fuel filter on my 440? At the parts store I asked for a fuel filter for a 440 and they gave me one. I will take a look tonight and see if I have the Vapor Separator. Thanks for all the good info!!!
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

The vapor separator contains a fine mesh screen that acts as the fuel filter.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 03, 2008, 04:13:38 PM

The vapor separator contains a fine mesh screen that acts as the fuel filter.
I concur :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

jdiesel33

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on December 03, 2008, 01:44:23 PM
On HP big block engines there wasnt a fuel filter per say but a Vapor Seperator like 62 Max posted a pic of.

It gets bolted to one of the fuel pump bolts as pictured below...

Looks like I do have the Vapor Separator as shown above. However, the one in the pic is not hooked up exactly like mine. On mine, the 2 outlets are on top and looks like they go to the tank and the block. The end with the one outlet is on the bottom for me and connected to the fuel pump. Why would they be configured differently and also does it matter?

Also, the metal tubing that goes from the fuel pump to the VS needs to be replaced. Is that something I can get from a parts store or do I have to special order?

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

The metal hard line is available in reproduction.  many vendors carry it. 
As far as the orientation of the separator,  there is an "In & Out" and the way it is pictured is correct....
from the factory service manual.....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

jdiesel33

Boy I am really confused now!!! That means the outlet was hooked up to the fuel pump on mine, but in the pic and in the manual it shoes the inlet going to the pump. Is it possible that on mine the inlet was on one end, while the outlet and return were on the other? Did they make them both ways? If not, then I guess it works both ways, either the outlet or in the inlet hooked to the pump? That doesnt sound right. I am more confused now than when I asked the original question!!!

Thanks for your replies.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Ghoste

It would work both ways but it wouldn't work as a vapor separator.  The fumes would rise to the top of the can (look at the cutaway) when it's shut off to be drawn back to the tank.

jdiesel33

Interesting. I wonder if someone hooked it up that way on purpose or if it was a mistake. In any event, I am going to put it on according to the pic and the manual. We'll see what happens.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Sublime/Sixpack

One problem with reversing your (used) separator now is that any dirt/debris on the screen will go right into your carburetor. Just food for thought.

Ghoste

Very true.  I would get a new one if it were mine.

jdiesel33

No worries. The whole point of this exercise was to put a new one on anyway, so no problems there. I figured after sitting for 15 years in a semi-jungle, I would replace it and other related parts before trying to start her up. Thanks for the advice.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

rt green

so, where do you get a fuel separator?
third string oil changer

jdiesel33

Well, I dont have one in hand yet. When I originally went to the auto parts store, I asked for a fuel filter for a 440 and they gave me one. However, it only has one outlet on each end so it isnt the separator that I need. I'm going to take what they gave me back tonight and see if they carry what I need.

1968 Dodge Charger R/T

62 Max

You won't get the correct one from a parts store.Two places not to buy from,Jim's Auto Parts in Hew Hampshire and Year One.One will rip you off on cost,the other on shipping.Most anyone that sells restoration parts have them.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Member Bill Alphin has them on his site at a reasonable price.  Look at the "Fuel" section on the sidebar on the left in the site

www.amhightechauto.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T