News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee stuff

Started by jake4cars, November 27, 2008, 05:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake4cars

Hello Everyone,
A good friend of mine is looking to build a General Lee, any good sources for the appropriate parts such as push bars, wheels, decals, etc., he is looking to make it as correct as possible.
Thanks,
Joey :cheers:

mikepmcs

welcome aboard. there are so many vendors out there with correct and incorrect stuff. also there are so many variations of the car so who knows where to get what and what to get.  My suggestion is you can do a search here and find numerous threads on this subject or you can go right to the source.  The North American General Lee Fan Club hosted by Travis Bell and the president is a good friend of mine by the name of Jim Shine.  You will get the most correct information from Jim Shine.  Send them an email.

http://www.generalleefanclub.com/

good luck to you

if you can't find any love there, here are some more sites to try

http://wwglfc.com/

http://www.cglfc.com/
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Ghoste

Correct me if I'm wrong Mike, but are there not also more than one accepted version of the GL to clone?

mikepmcs

oh heck yeah.  That is kind of what I meant, but it's early yet.  You can just about do anything you want and have a close to correct general lee, but if you want the most correct GL replica(closest to lee one anyway), you are gonna have to look at Travis and Jimmy Shine's Lee 1 build. Right down to the 01 being crooked on the driver door.

My general is patterned after the 2005 movie itself so like you said ghoste, the sky is the limit.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jake4cars

bamadukefan02

cglfc.com which is the Confederate General Lee Fan Club is a great place for you to get info on General Lee's, even have members there with real screen used cars.  I would advise you to start there, they can tell you about all the scammers involved in the Dukes of Hazzard and the General Lee from people selling rust bucket cars and overpriced parts to other clubs who have people in them that have reputations of being dishonest.

Mike DC

"The" General Lee was varied on just about every way you can imagine.  The orange paint shade, the interior vinyl shade, the rollbar/cage configuration, the diameter & width of the rims, the dimensions of the pushbar, the model of the CB antenna, etc.  Building a clone is not so much a matter of learning THE correct way, but rather forming an opinion about which of the several correct ways you want to copy for all these things. 

The TV series (and movie) also built a bunch of different things for stunt cars versus the nicer "hero" cars.  Those cars hit the takeoff ramps in a much different condition than when Schneider & Wopat climbed into the window and fired it up.  (Extensive rollcages inside, drastically increased seatbelt harnessing for the driver, the front pushbars had their lower halves torched away to clear the ramps, gas tank removed, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------------

It's just like the kinds of issues you wrestle with when doing a factory stock restoration. 

There's more than half a dozen different V8s that a Dodge Charger could have potentially been built with between 1966 and 1974.  And yet, that doesn't mean any of them is factory-correct in any year of Charger, does it? 

It all depends on what you set out to duplicate and what you didn't. 

JoeyGowdy

Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

bigred68

Hello Jake4cars. Although I believe this topic should prolly be in the off topic or other car related forums, I may? be able to help you or, possibly anyone else looking for General Lee stuff. As the Charger I was going to make into a big orange clonker got Smashed by a tree this summer, all of the "stuff" is now for sale. I "hem hawed" around all fall and so far this winter about what to do with the general's uniform, I think it's time to sell. One problem, I got no idea as of yet what to ask for everything just yet. I do know I'd LIKE to sell it all at the same time. Here's the list of stuff, that I can remember. Please give me a day or two to gather up some fair prices for everything.
Please note all parts listed are correct to series type car (at least one of the various styles)early Georgia, Valuzets, WB, ETC.
10 spoke unilug vectors/shelby racing wheels
4 plastic ctr caps w/stickers
Cobra 78x CB
NOT CORRECT magnetic mount antenna
roll bar (will NOT protect occupants in case of roll over accident)
push bar (late style large)
wolo dixie horn
ALL DECALS including roof flag, door 01's, GENERAL LEE text, and crossed flags for base of rear window.
I'm sure I'm missing something. All items were purchased from reputable dealers of this kinda stuff. If you, Jake4cars, or anyone, is interested in this stuff please PM me. Again please give me a day or two to compile some prices for this stuff.
ALSO PLEASE NOTE crushed '69 charger is NOT for sale as it has now become a parts car for my '68.
Thank you for time.
Jeffery.