News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Indy heads, what rocker arms to use?

Started by idahogrumpy, November 25, 2008, 11:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahogrumpy

OK my turn to ask another question. I'm in the process of trying to build a 470 stroker with Indy heads. This engine is for a friend and he wants to go fast!
My problem is with fitting the roller rockers that he purchased from Hughes. The rocker arms will not clear the spring retainers. When Hughes was questioned about this My friend was treated kind of rudely and told to use shims under the rocker shafts. We installed .060 shims under the rocker shaft and still do not clear the valve spring retainers. It would take at least another .020 or more to clear. Problem with that is then we run out of mounting stud. 
(Hope we can get longer studs.) The rockers mounted this way look extremely weak, beside the potential lack of oil flow to the rockers might be a problem. Then there is the geometry to consider if I can get that far.  There has got to be a better way!  Sooooooo, what is the general consensus for the proper rocker arms to be used on the Indy EZ1 heads?

For those of you that might remember we were considering a 500 hp 408 build, I talked him into the 470 (B) engine build for his A-body. I wish we had stayed with the small block. This engine has been a royal pain!!! :brickwall:

The plan is to break in & tune this engine in on the dyno. If I can get it put together and it doesn't go BOOM!!!
I will post numbers, photo's, and the build when we get her done.    Thanks Kyle  :cheers:

Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Challenger340

I'm assuming the "underside" of the Rockers hit the Retainers ?

How big a Diameter Retainer/Spring are you using ?

All I've ever had to do, is to clearance the underside of the Rockers.

If that is the problem, just grind/add some relief on the underside of the Rocker with a die grinder, then polish afterwards.

Just personal preference, but I don't like the shim idea. I know lots of guys do it , just not for me.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

idahogrumpy

Bob, I will have to measure the retainers to get you the size. (stock Indy) I had thought about cutting the rockers, however I was very nervous about the amount of material that need to be removed in order to clear. The material removed would be very close to a oil feed hole in the rocker.

The problem as I see it, is that Indy uses longer valves in their heads that would require the rocker shaft to be raised for proper geometry. The shim method is a very sloppy way to do this in my opinion. I was hoping that someone knew of a better rocker arm assembly that was built for use with longer valves. ( I'm a dreamer I know!)  :shruggy: Does anyone make a thicker pedestal spacer?

Thanks Bob, Kyle   
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Rob R

Change the retainer so you can use a lash cap...it always a chore to select a proper retainer...I've used the Indy/Dove rockers with 1.625 springs and 2.100 spring height on plenty of street engines with no issue.
I've Never used those Hughes rockers but it's either find a retainer or lose those rockers... :Twocents:

Challenger340

INDY use longer Valves as standard in their heads yes, but the pedestals are also raised to provide correct geometry as well when using standard Rockers on the "EZ" heads.

I'm still a little confused as to why "whatever" Rockers from Hughes won't fit ?

As mentioned, try the lash caps,
if still interference

Can you access some/ "any" other brand, of stock type Rocker Arm, for a trial fit to see if thats the problem ?
Even a Crane Gold ?
NOT rec. Crane Gold for a Roller app. just for trial fit.

Are these 1.5 or 1.625" Retainers ?

Bob out.

Only wimps wear Bowties !