News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Double roller timing chain setup vs. timing gear drive setup

Started by bull, November 24, 2008, 12:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

First off I don't know if it's possible to even find and purchase a timing drive set for a 383 so this discussion might be moot as far as my rebuild is concerned but in general I'm curious what the opinion is here on gear timing setups compared to chain setups? Is there a noise level difference? Is there a huge price difference? Is there a quality/realiability difference?

Ghoste

Noisier, almost like an underhood blower, huge price difference (100's of dollars), as for quality and reliability, they are rock solid for cam timing and they don't stretch.  Flip the coin and the noise isn't unbearable to some and even desirable to some others.  The price is one of those areas where we take it in the pooper for liking Mopars.  Chevy guys can get them fairly reasonable, a buddy of mine has one in his Camaro (go figure).  As for cam timing and chain stretch, the double roller has worked pretty well for millions of miles, yes they stretch eventually but how many have you had to change before a regular rebuild anyway?
If I wanted the cool whine sound or race car perfect timing I might think about them but for my street car, I'm not worried about needing to spend the money for a gear drive. 

firefighter3931

I've had good luck with the Comp timing sets....not even remotely interested in a gear drive.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Rolling_Thunder

gear drives are noisy - also one magazine did a test and a regular chain actually made more power than a gear drive...   not by much but still more.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bull