News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need (FRAME) help!!

Started by jb666, November 10, 2008, 05:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Ok, my list of problems just grew a bit..

Long story short, I need rear frame rails. '69 Charger.

Besides AMD and YearOne (both have no stock) can you guys recommend anyone to me??

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 10, 2008, 05:47:02 PM
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/body_parts_rear.htm#DS-212077070

maybe this vendor can help.

Too funny!! I'm trying to get through to them now.. They are fairly close to me, so I could go pick them up..

Thanks!

Charger-Bodie

You can also get nice rust free used ones form yards such as Texes acres or Desert valley auto parts.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

WingCharger

I thought your car has a solid body?

PS: I LOVE YOUR  CAR!!! It is in my top 15! :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

jb666

Quote from: WingCharger on November 10, 2008, 06:12:12 PM
I thought your car has a solid body?

PS: I LOVE YOUR  CAR!!! It is in my top 15! :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Thank you.

I thought so too. Pictures, taken right, can make a car look gorgeous.. My "restoration" was completed in a method that I'd expect from HLPAG. The rear frame rails were trash. They used fiberglass to smooth them over and then caked the undercoating on them... They aren't supporting the trunk area and the driver's side is missing a chunk big enough to fit your fist through..

Certain things were done well, other things were the worst hack job I think I've ever seen in my life.. (the wiring, the suspension, the frame, the finish body work for example).

jb666

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 10, 2008, 06:06:57 PM
You can also get nice rust free used ones form yards such as Texes acres or Desert valley auto parts.

Great tip!! Thank you!!

jb666

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 10, 2008, 06:06:57 PM

Both were a no go.. I just called them  :'(

Big_John

You could try these guys. I think its a cap that goes over your existing rails. They're not too far from you.

http://www.autorust.com/catalog.html

jb666

Quote from: Big_John on November 10, 2008, 08:15:04 PM
You could try these guys. I think its a cap that goes over your existing rails. They're not too far from you.

http://www.autorust.com/catalog.html

Thanks John, but the shop owner told me to stay away from caps, to get the full replacement rail. He'll have the car for a while anyways, since he's doing a full harness install (among other things).

Finn

How far is your search radius? There is a guy in CA that might have them but I dunno if you wanna ship that far? Let me know.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

gasoline_24

I have a full rear frame section including the entire rear frame.  However, one rear section would either need braced or replaced.  Otherwise it is in great shape.  I am in KS.

Daytona R/T SE

SFRT

I had to replace my ds front rail and shock tower. I got it from

http://www.texasacres.com/

excellent item, superfast shipping great price.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jb666

Quote from: gasoline_24 on November 10, 2008, 09:46:53 PM
I have a full rear frame section including the entire rear frame.  However, one rear section would either need braced or replaced.  Otherwise it is in great shape.  I am in KS.

Well, the section I really need is from the rear bumper to roughly 12" up. Are both sections of yours clean at these points?

jb666

Well, I found a pair of brand new rails.. Jim's has them.. What's weird is I offered to pick them up and they said no, "ship only"??? Either way, no harm no foul, they are on their way!!

Aero426

Quote from: jb666 on November 11, 2008, 01:17:20 PM
Well, I found a pair of brand new rails.. Jim's has them.. What's weird is I offered to pick them up and they said no, "ship only"??? Either way, no harm no foul, they are on their way!!

Jim's Auto Parts has a reputation for poor customer service.   I am surprised nobody spoke up here.   Do a search on Moparts and you will see.    People who are local to them go out of their way to avoid doing business with them.   Watch your credit card billing, especially on the shipping.   The "no local pickup" statement is not surprising.

jb666

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 11, 2008, 03:37:34 PM
Quote from: jb666 on November 11, 2008, 01:17:20 PM

Jim's Auto Parts has a reputation for poor customer service.   I am surprised nobody spoke up here.   Do a search on Moparts and you will see.    People who are local to them avoid doing business with them. 

Yeah, I've heard a few things.. I just don't get it, because they are 1/2 hour from me and about 3 minutes from my brother's place.. I could have picked them up, but the "ship only" policy threw me for a loop. Why would anyone say that?? It'd be cheaper for me to drive up then to ship them.

Aero426

QuoteYeah, I've heard a few things.. I just don't get it, because they are 1/2 hour from me and about 3 minutes from my brother's place.. I could have picked them up, but the "ship only" policy threw me for a loop. Why would anyone say that?? It'd be cheaper for me to drive up then to ship them.

People who have bought on site, have said their walk in price changed when they appeared in person.   There is a reason you never see them at a swap meet.   But they have a slick internet site.   My opinion is that like the 24 Hour Plumber with the full page ad in the yellow pages, their objective is to stick it hard to as many people as they can, at least ONE TIME.

jb666

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 11, 2008, 03:46:29 PM
QuoteYeah, I've heard a few things.. I just don't get it, because they are 1/2 hour from me and about 3 minutes from my brother's place.. I could have picked them up, but the "ship only" policy threw me for a loop. Why would anyone say that?? It'd be cheaper for me to drive up then to ship them.

People who have bought on site, have said their walk in price changed when they appeared in person.   There is a reason you never see them at a swap meet.   But they have a slick internet site.   My opinion is that like the 24 Hour Plumber with the full page ad in the yellow pages, their objective is to stick it hard to as many people as they can, at least ONE TIME.

So .. She's telling me that if I were to walk into their shop they wouldn't sell me a set of frame rails? That's a ridiculous policy.... How are they still in business??

Aero426

They are in business because people don't get the word, kind of like HLPAG.   You probably realize it now, but the "no local pickup" message they gave you is a pretty big red flag.   Very much like HLPAG not wanting you to come see your car and take delivery on site.   Maybe your experience will go OK.   

jb666

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 11, 2008, 04:05:53 PM
They are in business because people don't get the word, kind of like HLPAG.   You probably realize it now, but the "no local pickup" message they gave you is a pretty big red flag.   Very much like HLPAG not wanting you to come see your car and take delivery on site.   Maybe your experience will go OK.   

Hell with that, I'll be ordering elsewhere.. I don't have the time or patience to mess around with a company like this.. Plus I can't afford the jail time.

gasoline_24

Have you tried AMD?  They have these.  The frame I have needs work on one of the rear portions the same as the one you have.  The other has rust but it is just on the surface and is solid.  If you are interested I have pics, but the shipping to you would be pretty high.

jb666

Quote from: gasoline_24 on November 11, 2008, 04:41:05 PM
Have you tried AMD?  They have these.  The frame I have needs work on one of the rear portions the same as the one you have.  The other has rust but it is just on the surface and is solid.  If you are interested I have pics, but the shipping to you would be pretty high.

AMD has them on their site, but are 3 months away from actual production.

I just got off the phone with another vendor who said they shipped directly from Goodmark in Georgia, but they have no way of telling if they are in stock or when they could ship..THEN WHY SELL THEM AS "in stock" ON YOUR WEB SITE??????

:brickwall:

gasoline_24

I have a whole bunch of AMD sheetmetal and I would recommend waiting.  It is worth the wait.  I have quarters, fenders, trunk floor, tail light panel, rear valance and other parts.  They are not perfect, but the best of anything I have seen on the market.  I waited a year for the quarters, but I think they are a little better about giving estimates now.