News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74 Charger SE questions

Started by The Big E, November 09, 2008, 10:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big E

Hello.

I've been out this forum for 5 years but am now back in action.  I sold my 68 Charger in 2003 for financial reasons and now have the Mopar bug back!!!!!

I'm eyeing up a 74 Charger SE on sale about an hour from where I live but my knowledge of this generation of Charger is a bit iffy.  I'd appreciate any help with any of my questions below:

1) Are all 74 SEs also Broughams?

2) What did the SE option give you?

3) What about the Brougham option(if applicable based on #1!)?

4) How many came with sunroofs?

5) How many had cruise?

6) Was there a clock option in the dash for an SE??  Did getting this option then remove any other guages(ie the oil pressure guage?)

7) What's the hp rating for a 74 318?

8) Were there any other hood options other than the Rallye hood?  Would a Roadrunner hood fit or are they just for Satellites?

Thanks again for any info.

Ernie(aka The Big E)
London, Ontario, Canada

Ghoste

All SE's are not automatically Broughams.  The SE gave you a fixed and louvered rear quarter window, vinyl roof, sill mouldings, deluxe wheel covers, Rallye instrument cluster, belt and hood mouldings, front hood deck lid and bumper reveal mouldings, and vinyl front bench seats with center armrests.  The Brougham package added a seat upgrade to cloth and vinyl, an electric clock, deluxe steering wheel with partial horn ring, simulated wood grain trim and padded door trim, other soft trim and additional sound deadener.  No idea on sunroof or cruise control numbers but you can bet it isn't very many on the roof.  The 318 was rated at about 230 hp, I think.

The Big E

Thanks for all the info.  Very interesting.  There was no such packaging in 68!!!!!  I guess it's good that the car I'm looking at is both an SE and a Brougham.

The Big E

Ghoste

All I'm going by are brochures though so I would still think that one of the 3rd gen gurus we have on here would be able to add, subtract or just generally dispute anything I have told you.

TruckDriver

Quote from: The Big E on November 09, 2008, 10:01:35 AM

1) Are all 74 SEs also Broughams?

2) What did the SE option give you?

3) What about the Brougham option(if applicable based on #1!)?

4) How many came with sunroofs?

5) How many had cruise?

6) Was there a clock option in the dash for an SE??  Did getting this option then remove any other guages(ie the oil pressure guage?)

7) What's the hp rating for a 74 318?

8) Were there any other hood options other than the Rallye hood?  Would a Roadrunner hood fit or are they just for Satellites?

I have a lot of the info you are asking for on my all 3rd gen forum. If you look, look in the sales brochure section. The Roadrunner hood will not fit a Charger. And off the top of my head, the horsepower rating for a 318 is around 190hp I believe. It is also listed on my forum. The link to my forum is below if your interested.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bordin34

I believe the horsepower is 150-155hp. My 74 SE brougham did not have a clock my 73 brougham SE does.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

BROCK

Ah 3rd gen Rallye clusters.  There are 2 versions of the fascia in that the 74 added an International Symbol
beside the headlight & wiper switches.  (Thanks Nacho for showing me this)  There were also 2 versions of
the backplane, though, that didn't rely upon the year.  One backplane allows for a tach or clock while the
other simply places 2 regular gauges in the same spot.  The left gauge is the speedo every time.  The 2 right
gauge faces could have 1 or 2 gauges in each face.  So, there you have it:  5 or 6 gauges in 4 pods.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Bob

The Brougham package added a seat upgrade to cloth and vinyl, an electric clock, deluxe steering wheel with partial horn ring, simulated wood grain trim and padded door trim, other soft trim and additional sound deadener.

I have the SE Brougham but no clock and deluxe steering wheel with partial horn ring. Hmm :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Like I said, just going by the brochure.

Bob

Quote from: Ghoste on November 10, 2008, 09:22:14 AM
I would like to have the clock. What does the partial horn ring look like?

The Big E

Thanks for the further info!!!!

I've now signed up for the 3rd generation charger forum as well but haven't had alot of time to look at the postings yet.  I quickly went into the brochures section but could only open the first page of each brochure...is there more 74 Charger info if I keep trying???

Looks like some variations between what the brochures said a Brougham would automatically give you and what actually came on the car on the production line.  I noticed that a bit with my 68 CHarger as well, I had lots of brochures.  Maybe the clock and optional steering wheel had to be selected as separate options when the order actually happened or the paperwork was done at the delaership???

As best as I can remember the 74 SE Brougham I saw had the clock definitely and I'm 95% sure it did not have the partial ring horn...just the SE option 3 spoke with no ring.  I saw a 73 SE Brougham as well a few weeks back and I'm sure it didn't have a clock, I don't think it had the ring steering wheel.

DO any of your 74 CHargers have the sunroof and/or cruise??

FOr pictures of the partial horn ring steering wheel I saw it right here on this site!!! Go to Interiors and then about 10 postings down is one about 'TUFF steering wheel'.  It has a brochure of all 74 Charger steering wheels, very neat.

Ernie
London, ON

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Bob on November 10, 2008, 10:04:55 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 10, 2008, 09:22:14 AM
I would like to have the clock. What does the partial horn ring look like?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bob

Thanks Nacho. As far as I can tell they were options.

Old School

I have a 74 Charger with a sunroof no cruise. I don't have any production numbers for how many
came with a sunroof, wish I did.

pettyfan43

Quote from: Bob on November 10, 2008, 09:19:14 AM
The Brougham package added a seat upgrade to cloth and vinyl, an electric clock, deluxe steering wheel with partial horn ring, simulated wood grain trim and padded door trim, other soft trim and additional sound deadener.

I have the SE Brougham but no clock and deluxe steering wheel with partial horn ring. Hmm :scratchchin:

My 73 is the Brougham but has solid Vinyl seats, and was that way when My Aunt purchaed it in 1977.

BROCK

The 74 SE Brougham that caused me to become a MoPar man had
white buckets & a buddy seat - no cloth.  Can't remember if it had
a clock - though I think it just had the 5 gauges.  I think the list of
what ya got with the package is accurate - just alternatives are on
the orderform waiting to be checked off!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Nacho-RT74

this was an info I got from a member old website ( Arthur ) and I copied the info:

The Brougham package was the luxury package on the Charger SE from 1972 to 1974. It included:
-Cloth & vinyl seat with fold down center armrest, or vinyl bucket seats with plush carpet, or cloth & vinyl bucket seats with plush carpet.
-Electric clock
-Deluxe steering wheel with partial horn ring
-Simulated wood-grained trim and soft trim
-Padded door trim panels
-Added sound insulation

HOWEVER was stated was a package on SEs, I have FOR SURE AT LEAST one Brougham package on a 74 Hardtop ( non SE )car... now those panels on my car.

I specify hardtop non SE because back on 73 you could get a hardtop SE

about partial horn ring, of course wasn't present on 72 and 73 because that wheel first appearence was in 74 using more less same configuration that the padded 3 spoke wheel on 74s.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

The Big E

I didn't check for plush carpet but alot of seat material combos were possible based on what my responses have been.

Too bad that Mopar back in the day didn't keep better track of how many cars came with each option, that would be ultra-cool info to have now in 2008.

The car I'm looking at originally came from Denver I've been told if that makes any difference.

the Big E

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: The Big E on November 11, 2008, 01:37:51 PM

Too bad that Mopar back in the day didn't keep better track of how many cars came with each option,

yes those records did exist but just a few of them are still available specially lates 60s. Dunno why since 72 the more detailed records are lost