News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Read-End Ratio?

Started by JoeyGowdy, November 06, 2008, 09:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyGowdy

Just curious, the 2070741 is the 8.75 (8-3/4) rear-end correct?

What would be the driveshaft to read-end ratio?

I'm trying to find the right gearing to make the speedometer work properly.

::)

Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

A383Wing

Yes, the 741 case is a 8-3/4" rear end....you need to find out the gear ratio by counting the ring teeth and then divide that by the number of pinion teeth....

Ghoste

It is an 8.75 rearend but that's a casting number and you need to establish the gear ratio.  The surest way is to remove it and check but if you mark the driveshaft and a wheel and calculate the number of turns of the driveshaft to get one full revolution of the wheel you'll be close.  From there we can help you with the speedo pinion.

A383Wing

JoeyGowdy

Ka'Pla! Success!! Found it - had to use the wire-brush, but it was still there... up-side-down I might add... reads 2.76 which isn't to hot is it?
:(

Ghoste

It a highway cruising gear, yes.

JoeyGowdy

Quote from: Ghoste on November 06, 2008, 10:40:28 PMIt a highway cruising gear, yes.
True... 15mpg  :lol: then again, it can eaisly do burnouts... perhaps it has been rebuilt and/or replaced in it's past with a better one?  :?:

Ghoste

Is this 2.76 stamped on the ring gear or on a tag attached to the outside of the housing?

A383Wing

Bet it's stamped in a flat pad below the fill plug....I might have a different set of gears in it ....could have been changed.....

JoeyGowdy

Looks like the original tag (flat piece on the right), here's a photo from my cell phone taken a couple minutes ago (didn't see any other tags or stamps - could be original or they might not have placed another tag on it if it's been changed in it's past):

A383Wing

Just because the tag says 2.76, doesn't mean that's what is inside....you need to count how many times the driveshaft goes around when the tire makes 1 complete revolution. Do this on jackstands and with the engine off.

Ghoste

I agree with Bryan.  I thought for a bit there you were reading it off of the ring gear but you can't rely on the stamped tag.  It could very well be a 2.76 but it may not be either.

JoeyGowdy

A'ight, just measured it - the driveshaft turns 1-3/4 (1.75) everytime ONE wheel makes a complete turn... thoughts?

Hemidog

That doesnt sound right? did you count correctly?

JoeyGowdy

Quote from: Hemidog on November 07, 2008, 02:53:48 PMThat doesnt sound right? did you count correctly?
Yes, one full rotation of the wheel turned the driveshaft 1-3/4 (1.75) times.

I only had the driver's side wheel jacked-up... the passanger side was still on the ground.

Perhaps I should try to rotate the wheel two full turns and see what happens?

FLG

Its an open rear...therefore you need to double that number  :2thumbs:

On a posi rear both tires rotate so only one revoultion is needed. On an open rear since only 1 wheel turns you need to either rotate the tire twice or just double the reading when you rotate it once.

Hence why the tires spins so damn fast if you power brake a car with an open diff

JoeyGowdy

Quote from: FLG on November 07, 2008, 06:35:28 PMIts an open rear...therefore you need to double that number  :2thumbs:

So doubling the 1-3/4 would probably make it about a 3.50 or 3.55 ?

John_Kunkel

Now that you know the gear ratio you need the tire diameter to determine the proper speedo pinion.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JoeyGowdy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 07, 2008, 07:31:09 PMNow that you know the gear ratio you need the tire diameter to determine the proper speedo pinion.

Front: 225/70/R14

Rear: 245/70/R15

:coolgleamA:

A383Wing

He did not say "Tire Size"....he said "Tire Diameter"....you must measure the diameter with a tape measure.

Then get the chart....

FLG

245/70-15's have a diameter of 28.5"

JoeyGowdy

Just turned the driver side wheel twice and the driveshaft turned 2-3/4 (2.75) times... the passenger side is still on the ground.

So... 2.76 or 3.5X ?

FLG

Weather you turned the wheel twice or turned it once and doubled the number they should be the same. Either double and triple check or pull the carrier and start counting teeth.

If your supposed to have 2.76 and your saying you checked and it takes 2.75 revolutions id be pretty sure it is a 2.76 gear ratio,

JoeyGowdy

Eh, knowing my luck I'll probably have to pull it and check... one wheel revolution turns the driveshaft 1-3/4 (1.75)... two wheel revolutions turns the driveshaft 2-3/4 (2.75)... both times I was turning the driverside wheel and had the passengerside wheel on the ground so it wouldn't move.
:scratchchin:

A383Wing

Here's another way....put both jack stands under the rear...have both rear tires off the ground....make a chalk mark on both tires at the bottom, and on the drive shaft yoke.....now you are going to lay on a creeper, or the ground, and slowly spin both tires (one at each hand) the same direction, keep an eye on the drive shaft and count how many times it goes around when both of your chalk marks on the tires end up at the same place you started.