News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will this cam be ok for my 400?

Started by WH23G3G, November 05, 2008, 07:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm wanting to get the cam that closely resembles the the cam for a 1973 400-4bbl Charger. I've pulled the spec sheet out of the 1973 Chassis Manual here is the specs.

400 2bbl and 4bbl
Intake Duration - 268 degrees
Exhaust Duration - 284 degrees
400-4 BBL and 440 - Hi. Perf.
Intake Valve Lift (Zero Lash) - .450"
Exhaust Valve Lift (Zero Lash) - .464"

I was about to order this one on Summit Racing, it's almost identical to the specs I pulled from the 1973 chassis manual.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DCC%2D4452783&autoview=sku
but I called the tech line and the guy was kinda rude, didn't offer any suggestions. I could tell he didn't want to help because I didn't really know what I needed to get but that's why I was calling. He told me I was wrong and it was way too much lift to be a 1973 400-4bbl stock cam, but the whole time I was reading right out of the 1973 chassis repair manual under specifications. He said it would work, but I would need a stall converter and then he just hung up the phone. He told me the factory converter was below 2000 RPM. But I looked in the transmission section and says the factory stall speed on a 400-4bbl 727 is 2400-2700RPM. These are the specs. for 73 so it should work with the A/C and power brakes? 

firefighter3931

That cam is the standard 440 HP cam and was also used in 440 6-pack engines. There are much better cam profiles available for a low compression 400ci street build.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tatrick2me

Call Comp Cams tech line. Tell them what you want, and what you want it for. Or call HUghs engines they both have cam profiles that take advantage of our big mopar lifters. Unlike a mopar cam on a chevy blank. Our .904 lifters give us the advantage of faster ramp speeds with less lift and duration. This means more power at a wider RPM range with less valve spring pressure. Which in it self makes a longer lasting cam, valve giudes and rocker arms.
Bone 7

WH23G3G

I want to get one from Mopar Performance. Is there another better cam they make?

tatrick2me

Those old factory grinds that the factory carries are out of time with the times. They waste fuel and don't make the power Comp and Huegs makes.
Bone 7

Ghoste

tatrick is right, I like to support Mopar too when I can but the Mopar Performance camshafts were designed a few decades ago.  It isn't that they are bad choices, it's just that there are so many far better ones around.  A lot has happened since the 70's.

RD

will it work? YES

will you be happy with it?  most likely

will it squeeze every single bit of hp and torque from your engine compared to other cams? NO

does 5 hp matter to you? _______________

think about practicality.. if you are just doing a cam swap and you like the sound of a cam moreso than the power production.. or your money is limited... then your choice may be different than trying to squeeze 2 extra hp (this is a generalization).  I agree with the above recommendations as far as finding a cam that can increase larger hp/torque productions.. but if your wallet doesnt meet those specifications.. then picking that cam will not hurt you either.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

WH23G3G

I called the Summit order line and the person was better this time and then I called PAW to see what their suggesstions were. Every cam I talked to Summit and PAW about was on backorder. All the Mopar cams and the Comp Cams we chose we're going to take awhile to get here as well. I asked was there anything wrong with choosing a performance cam from Melling or Sealed Power. They said they are good cams. Being in the parts business I can get some quality parts at good prices. I know Sealed Power makes good products so I decided to try their Performance Cam and Lifter Kit. Hopefully I will be happy with it. It's listed under Federal Mogul's website under their Speed Pro division as a Performance Pro-Series 3000 cam. It is also listed under the Sealed Power catalog as the OEM replacement cam for the 1969-1971 383, 1972-1974 400, 1972-1978 440. I hope it will be an acceptable choice. The specs of this cam #CS-661 are here, which is close in lift to the factory cam but the duration is different:

Valve Lift INT - .449
Valve Lift EXH - .464
Duration @ .050" - 214/225
Lobe C/L - 115
Overlap - 46

firefighter3931

That cam will work OK but it wouldn't be my first choice. Not a fan of wide LSA profiles on low compression short stroke engines. It should idle nice and smooth and make lots of manifold vacuum for easy tuning and power brakes.

If you're looking for a highway cruiser type build this cam will serve you well....just don't expect lots of tire twisting torque.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tatrick2me

What your going to get is a lose of power from this cam. The LSA is just to wide for a 8:5 to 1 engine.  Go here
http://manciniracing.com   These are real mopar only people a part of the origanel RAM CHARGERS raceing team. And the very first Direct Connection dealer. There phone # is on the web page. Everyone else is on mopar back order because Mancinie has it all. They have some damn good deals on Comp Cam, Mopar lifter packages.
Bone 7

oldkimmer

...........Yes the new cams r superior to the old DC/MP cams.......I have used that cam in many builds....most ppl like the rumble that cam gives their BB............kim.........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WH23G3G

Well I gave the Sealed Power Cam kit #KC-661 to my machine shop so he could install the cam bearings and make sure it's lined up. They said the block could just be honed out and cleaned up but to use Steel rings. Is that the same as Chrome rings? I'm sticking with Sealed Power because I know they've been around a long time and the Re-ring kits are readily available around here. I wanted to put the Mopar aluminum dual plane intake manifold on instead of the original iron intake but will I even be able to find a place to buy one anymore? It seems everything I've tried ordering from Mopar has been backordered. If that's not available my second choice was the Edelbrock OEM replacement aluminum intake. I don't like it as much because it has an EGR provision eventhough it can be covered up. Everything else will be stock, HP exhaust manifolds, maybe even reproduction mufflers. I guess if I'm not happy with how the cam performs I can change it out again.

tatrick2me

Bone 7

firefighter3931

If you're looking for a good manifold for that 400 check out the vintage edelbrock DP4B which is available used on e-bay. This is the best choice for a mild build and will allow use of the stock throttle/kickdown linkage. The factory 70-71 cast iron intake is the best of the factory pieces....not a bad choice either.  ;)

Ron