News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering gear boxes

Started by steves66, July 28, 2005, 10:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steves66

I have been looking into replacing my steering box with an aftermarket box. I have been looking into the Firm Feel and the Steer and Gear boxes. The S&G is a little cheaper than the FF, but which one is better? ???  I don't mind paying a little more for better quality, but is the FF better that the S&G?  Do any of you guys know about these boxes or installed one before?  Any input would be greatly appreciated before I make the purchase.

8WHEELER

I can tell you the Firm Feel boxes are great I have them in three of my cars and I love them, I
have never tried the Steer & Gear so I can't speak for them.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

74ChargerDrummr

Where would you get one at a decent price? I have a 74 Charger, Slant 6, automatic. Thanks!
"...try to run, try to hide, break on through to the other side..."

8WHEELER

This is where I have bought all my boxes and my friends as well,   http://www.firmfeel.com/
They are not cheap but I don't think anybody is, plus they are about 2 1/2hrs away from me.

Dan

steves66

Thanks Dan. What stager did you get? I called them and the sales rep told me that the stage 2 was the best all around, not too loose and not too stiff.

8WHEELER

All of mine have been stage two boxes and I am very happy with them, There have been a few on this board that used stage three boxes and they were also happy. But as they said the stage two is more widely used and feels great, and I also added the longer fast ratio arms on one of cars and I love it turns faster lock to lock and is much easier in parking lots and all around driving but figure on about $200.00 more for that out the door.

Dan

bull

Dan, Did you have any of your boxes rebuilt by Firm Feel or did you just buy one of their stock? Where are they located? So does the stage 2 box feel a lot tighter than stock or does it feel like it should have back in '68? I remember how sloppy those old steering boxes can be. It must be a nice change to have tight steering on an old Charger.

8WHEELER

I bought there boxes the first two times and just brought in a core when I picked them up, the next two boxes I dropped off he rebuilt them for me. Dave is not far from you actually in Vancouver WA.

Dan

bull

Is the price the same on the rebuilt compared to the ones he stocks?

8WHEELER

They only have rebuilt one's in stock if he has one ready he does ''not'' have new boxes. He will always want a core or $75.00 or so, at least that's the way he was 2yrs ago.

Dan

74ChargerDrummr

Dan:

What is this "core" that I keep seeing mentioned? I am in need of a steering box, as well as a Pittman Arm. I appreciate your help.

Scott

bull

Quote from: 74ChargerDrummr on July 29, 2005, 06:03:21 PM
Dan:

What is this "core" that I keep seeing mentioned? I am in need of a steering box, as well as a Pittman Arm. I appreciate your help.

Scott

Core means your old box. They always want one to replace the one they're selling so they can rebuild another one for the next guy.

74ChargerDrummr

Are the "rebuilt" ones pretty good? It seems as if many parts are going that way, i.e. starters, alternators, etc.

bull

Quote from: 74ChargerDrummr on July 29, 2005, 06:56:35 PM
Are the "rebuilt" ones pretty good? It seems as if many parts are going that way, i.e. starters, alternators, etc.

Depends on who's doing the rebuild of course. I would trust Firm Feel to do a good steering box rebuild but probably not a starter from Thrifty Auto Supply, if you get my drift.

hemihead

If you want to go a less expensive route, I bought a factory firm feel box and pump with cooler for $35 off a
87 Fury cop car at my local U Pull yard.It will work on your 74 using the 74 Pitman Arm.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

74ChargerDrummr

Thanks for the help, everyone! That's another good opportunity to check out - I will get one some day!

MadScientist

Did anyone see the rebuild kit that (I think it was S&G) was selling in MCG?  Has anyone done a rebuild of a manual box before?  It looked like a replacement worm gear and some extra hardware.

MS

8WHEELER

I know FF does a great manual box but I have never done one myself.

Dan

Wakko

Bump from the dead.

Is there a factory steering box from another vehicle that will work in the 2nd gen and provide an upgrade?  I ordered a factory rebuilt replacement from the local auto store through a connection for only $66 but if I can upgrade without going with the $300 Firm Feel than I will.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Mike DC

The same steering box was used all the way into the 1980s on some RWD models. 

But as for an UPGRADE?  I dunno. 
The O.E. police-car steering box was a bit better (tighter internal clearances, like Firm Feel does).  But I'm not sure that a store would sell you anything other than a regular one for that application if you tried to get it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

BTW:

For all the trouble you're putting into rebuilding/tightenting up the front end of your car, you might wanna look into the factory rag joint (on the steering shaft in the engine bay, just above the steering gearbox itself).  It's a small rubber isolator for the steering column that eventually wears out just like everything else. 

A worn out rag joint usually never creates a MAJOR steering issue, but it's one more thing that can take tightness out of the "road feel" at the steering wheel.

Wakko

Thanks for the tip, mine was in horrible condition. 

I'm trying to avoid spending $180 on a pitman arm, so if I can put a box in the car from a mid 70s car where the pitman is 1/3 the price, that'd be sweet.   BTW I scored a rebuilt box through my old work (Advance Auto) for $66!
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Blakcharger440

I have heard mostly good things about FirmFeel. Thats the way I am going.