News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing the front u-joint

Started by Hemidog, October 28, 2008, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

I'm a total novice when it comes to the drivetrain, can anyone give me a quick lesson on how to replace the u-joint that sits between the tranny yoke and driveshaft?

-how do you remove the driveshaft&yoke from the tranny?
-do I need to drain the tranny fluid?

I got a new 7290 joint waiting to be installed.

Ghoste

You will need to unbolt the rear u joint from the differential and then slide the driveshaft back to disengage the front yoke from the trans.  It just slides out.  If the car is sitting too high in the front there may be a little trans fluid come out the back but if its level or nearly so, you shouldn't have to worry about tranny fluid.  As for the front u joint, you will need to get it pressed off and the new one on.

Back N Black

You can also use a bench vice to press out the U-joints.  :2thumbs:

Hemidog

that for the tips guys.
Another thing, is it a wise thing to mark off the placement of the drive shaft and axle yoke so that you install it the same way?

GreenMachine

I find it more difficult to use a press or vice to remove/install u-joints due to the driveshaft that needs to be supported the entire time. I lay the assembly on the garage floor and place a large socket underneath the u-joint being removed (to catch the cup), and a small socket on the opposite end and tap it out with a hammer.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Hemidog

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 28, 2008, 04:52:24 PM
  I find it more difficult to use a press or vice to remove/install u-joints due to the driveshaft that needs to be supported the entire time. I lay the assembly on the garage floor and place a large socket underneath the u-joint being removed (to catch the cup), and a small socket on the opposite end and tap it out with a hammer.
Yeah, I typed "replacing u-joint" in Google, and a bunch of those methods popped up, so I think ill try that.