News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I think it's time to finally start rebuilding the engine

Started by WH23G3G, October 27, 2008, 12:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Other than exhaust, radiator, and A/C lines I'm ready to start playing with my motor. Its a 1976 4006530-400 cast crank truck block, that the previous owner bored .040 over with forged pistons, .010 on the rods and mains, a 1973 3614374 cast crankshaft and damper, 1973 3671879 4-bbl iron intake, 1 1973 3462346 head, and 1 1976-1978 4006452 head, 1973 HP exhaust manifolds, no idea on the camshaft, and a still in the box remanufactured Carter thermoquad. Possibly it was a remanufactured engine, I don't have any papers on it, originally a 318 car. When I got the car it had a Quadrajet the previous owner adpated to fit. I still have to remove the remaining 6 pistons, crank, and camshaft. There was no ridge, the pistons I've taken out came out with just cleaning with carb cleaner. The crosshatches can still be seen. The heads definitely need to be redone. The bearings appeared to have minimum mileage on them. My plan is to disassemble the block take it to the machine shop and have them clean it, hopefully it will need just a hone, and installation of cam bearings. Then have them check the crank, I doubt it has any problems, it's as shiny as my new bumpers. Then I was going to put new camshaft, moly rings, stock timing set, HV oil pump, new main and rod bearings, oil screen, windage tray, and have the heads rebuilt with new seats, guides, and new valves, and springs. It will have everything stock, possibly I will add a Mopar aluminum intake if I can find one available. I was thinking about going with a stock camshaft. Which had .450 lift intake, and .464 exhaust factory. What's the closest stock camshaft I can get? Or what could I use that gives just a little bit more power without messing with the idle quality too much? I already have a stock rebuilt 727. Anything I could do to the heads to help? It's going have 2.25 exhaust kit with Hemi style mufflers, whatever they are. That's what the company told me. It may never see the track, it's just going to be a nice driver, it's gonna have A/C and power steering, all suspension is new and HD, new rear sway bar, and 8.75 rear end with a 3.91 posi.   I was going to get everything for my engine rebuild from PAW. Any feedback on engine rebuild suggestions is welcomed and appreciated. As this is my first engine rebuild, but I'm going to do it.

firefighter3931

It sounds like the engine is in descent shape other than needing the heads rebuilt. On that type of build i would keep the cam conservative but definately upgrade over stock.  :yesnod:

I'll pass along the same advice i gave another member with a very similar buildup :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49820.0.html

Ron

Ps. You will also need new valvesprings.....the Comp Cams # 911 will work fine with that cam profile and fit perfectly on your stock heads.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs