News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it just me or does pretty much any older car look good to you now?

Started by bull, October 25, 2008, 10:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm not sure what to call this phenomenon but here lately, as of the past 2-3 years or so, I fantasize about owning nearly every decent car for sale out there that was built between about 1960 and 1980. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a Mercury station wagon, a Datsun B210, a '68 Mustang or a 1978 Cordoba. What is going on? Am I so desperate to relive the old days that I would take ANY car that reminds me of them? Or is it that those cars are more of a draw now because they are unique among the current offerings where they were once so commonplace? It's weird, I can't explain it yet, but don't be surprised if I display pics of my new '72 AMC Matador wagon someday.

68coronetGLwannabe

I agree! :cheers: Just wanna relive the glory days when cars had style. Dang,sure wish I could still grow a mullet! :coolgleamA:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

dpm68

Yes, something about them having individuality and soul back in the day...

SFRT

Same here. Its because all the new cars are BORING..bland...and just lame looking. A friend of mine is a salesman over at the Jaguar dealer on Van Ness and once in a while they will get some new 'supercar' in and I'll go 'test drive it'...even their most 'badass cars' feel sterile. closed in, silent, cant feel the road...no personality.

may very favorite things to drive are old cars and pickups with a great big bench seat, tall flat windows...more of a feeling of actually being on the road, not enclosed in a bubble.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Samson

Why do you think I'm snapping away with my camara every "decent" car I come across?..

I mean besides being unstable both mentally and emotionally and smoking peyote

suntech

I have been like that since i was a kid. Since i live in Europe (Norway) i grew up with different cars than most of you guys here, but when my buddies had VW Golf GTIĀ“s or somethng in that style, i had a  71 Opel Commodore HT.
My first urge for a Charger was when i was 18. Now i am 45, and has one :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

bull

Quote from: SFRT on October 25, 2008, 11:26:58 AM
Same here. Its because all the new cars are BORING..bland...and just lame looking.

That's very true, but think about those cars I mentioned above. In their day they were boring, bland and just lame-looking too. But now they aren't. :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 25, 2008, 11:35:59 AM
   Why do you think I'm snapping away with my camara every "decent" car I come across?..

I mean besides being unstable both mentally and emotionally and smoking peyote

Yea, now I see... It's Strat's fault as usual. :yesnod:

68coronetGLwannabe

It seems like back then you put on some dual exhaust,air shocks,cragers or keystones some big tires with white letters and they all looked good! :coolgleamA: seems every thing nowdays is small low to the ground and has strange sounding exhaust not to mention way oversized wheels. Whoa I think I am getting old :scratchchin:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

gers1968rt

Yes, I'm feeling the same, so many cars look so generic and alike. Seems like sometimes my kids know what make a car is before I do. Sometimes I have to ask them what it is. I'm getting old too?
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

Red Ram

Seems like the only styling features that designers focus on are the headlights and tail lights. If fins where the great excess of the 50's, tail lights are the great excess of today...some of them are really ridiculous!
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

The70RT

Just like the ole wagons. Everyone junked them back then, now the ones that are left are cool now and sought after.

Quote from: Red Ram on October 25, 2008, 12:24:26 PM
Seems like the only styling features that designers focus on are the headlights and tail lights. If fins where the great excess of the 50's, tail lights are the great excess of today...some of them are really ridiculous!

Also seems like all the newer stuff has the rear and front lights protruding so you will knock them out and by new ones.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Silver R/T

some of my favorites
1961 galaxie
1959-1964 Impalas
T-birds
60's Cadillacs, etc
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RD

i have definitely been eyeing some fords to be honest.. still havent felt the deep and dire urge to follow through with a chevy.. just dont know if i could do it.  i appreciate some of their looks/lines/etc.. but not enought to own one (a chevy that is).  Now if a nice lil mustang came by me at a decent price, and i had the floating $$$ then by all means i would get it.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

mopar7890

I agree, the same here. I guess it may also be a bit to re-live the good days we all had back then.
1970 440 Challenger RT/SE, 1971 383 Super Bee, 1971 Fury III, 1973 Mach 1, 1960 Meyers Manx

Back N Black

I think its because we are car crazy and we appreciate the 60's and 70's iron despite the nameplate. I have a couple of friends that have lots of money and they have no intrest in muscle cars. I always tell them that if i had that kind of  money, i would have a garage full of cars. I took them to a car show and they lost intrest in 5 minutes, oh well. But their beer still taste the same.  ;D

ac_knight

I have to agree.  My dad has a 1953 Dodge Pickup, Job Rated, and it is need of some resto work.  I find myself wanting to tackle his project and havent even neared completion of my own.  So I do think that some of the old cars just appeal to us.  It was a simpler time, with simpler machines that we happened to fall in love with.

TruckDriver

Same for me too. But then again, I always have liked a little of everything. I grew up with GM products, friends had all Fords & Mopars.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mike DC

I look at a new car and I see something that has everything about it compromised for the sake of cheapening the price, and yet still manages to cost as much as a hand-restored old car, and the new car STILL manages to be unreliable because they've cut so many corners. 

mikesbbody

Id like to have a old car as a everyday driver but sadly its just not practicle  :icon_smile_dissapprove: I think the big 3 all made good cars but for me its mopars or no car  :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

My money says that in about 30 years bull will be searching Hemmings for an '06 Charger because he loves the styling.   :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

I bought the '71 RR thinking it would make a sweet Daily Driver, but that just ain't the case. It's too brutal and basic and primitive, No Cruise, - no A/C - No Sweet 1000 watt 9 speaker Aftermarket stereo with CD, Radio & Tape Player, -
plus three extra power outlets for the cell phone charger, and heated coffee Mug, No power windows, door locks, sun roof,-ABS- traction control, folding rear seats that pass through to the trunk, No extra two doors in the back so I dont have to kiss a huge skinny plastic steering wheel when guests jump in the back like the old iron... the '99 has leather everything, four cupholders, armrests front and rear, fully tinted windows, fully adjustable power heated seats. The list of ammenities just goes on and on... then there's the 17-27 MPG, the runner only gets 12 - 14 on the best of days... But yeah, The road runner is a nice hammer and the looks I get from the earth firsters, what's that called?.. the "Stink Eye"?..  :shruggy:
Alot of these old cars I see, I love to look at them and remember what they stood for in automotive culture when new and I'm really so glad the owners are keeping them out there, but I know they can't hold a candle to today's advancements in automotive efficency, safety and comfort.
I still love to see em though..  :2thumbs: &
I still love to safari hunting and shooting the old beasts, it's alot easyier in the modern whooptie though...
I got over 200 new pics of old cars, trucks and bikes I've just loaded into a folder I'll post up soon..

rt green

without all the crap on them, thats why i like the old ones. you can always put the stereo in
third string oil changer

Brock Samson

the only option on the runner is power steering and the ralley wheels and the the reflective stripes, like I said, it's a great hammer.  :D

Old Moparz

Brock, I totally agree with what you posted, that's why I laugh when I read about the youngster who can't wait to get his classic car for a daily driver.   :lol:

The lack of creature comforts makes it more of a chore to drive. When I take the Satellite out once in a while, it's fun to be behind the wheel with the top down, but it doesn't take long to remember how I couldn't wait to get a newer car (or truck) to commute in.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry