News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 or 413

Started by 68coronetGLwannabe, October 24, 2008, 06:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68coronetGLwannabe

My 70 charger has 383 built for 1/4 mile racing, it was in the car when I bought it. I am just looking for a nice dependable good running all around cruising engine. A local reputable shop owner who loves old mopars is willing to swap me for a 413 complete with a fresh rebuild. He is willing to do all the work for an even trade. I didnt buy my car for the engine so does it sound like a fair deal? :shruggy:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

68coronetGLwannabe

I guess the question I am asking is the 413 a good engine. :scratchchin:
"That's us in 10 years".

mikesbbody

413 is a good engine but i would think a 383 would be easier to get parts for? and they make great strokers too!

68coronetGLwannabe

What years are the 413s from?
"That's us in 10 years".

rav440

is your 383 #s matching to your car ? why not just de tune your 383 , change the intake , cam and carb . also youll probably need to change the torque converter also .

the 413 could be out of alot of differant things early 60 passenger cars to 70s motor home  :shruggy:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Mike DC

There's nothing wrong with a 413 short-block that's not wrong with any other BB wedge block.  Although the heads & bolt-on parts may be another matter.

Honestly I'd think hard about keeping the 383.  If the 383 is already built up pretty well, and the 413 is mostly stock, then the 413 is unlikely to get you something notably faster out of the deal.  At least not until you've got it yanked apart all over your garage floor for rebuilding anyway.  And in the meantime, 383 cubic inches generally rips through a bit less gasoline than the larger motors. 

68coronetGLwannabe

Thanks for the info guys! I will check but i believe  my 383 is not # matching . It used to be an auto now its a 4 speed car. Also this mechanic is going to swap 3rd members because mine has a posi with 4:11 and like I said before I just want a all around car I can take for a cruise. Im sure the mech is getting the better end of the deal but after I pay the paint guy and the mechanic swaps this stuff straight across, I will have a nice 70 I can cruise and enjoy for about 15K. If money wasnt an issue right now I would keep the 383 and just swap it my self for a another. If this all works out the car should be done in a couple weeks. :2thumbs:
"That's us in 10 years".