News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can we revisit the Premier Plastics grill topic?

Started by bull, October 20, 2008, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Mostly wondering if anyone here has actually received one of their grills, mounted it in place and used it. Does the rubbery construction cause any performance problems or is it just an annoying side issue like the company's lousy customer service?

Also, has anyone decided yet to compete with them?

69chargerboy

Well, I bought the grille and went though all the Premier Plastics Bull Sh!t. When I finally received it I was over joyed. It looked great, I couldn't wait to prep and paint it. But, after talking to Mike from BE&A, it's more of a pain in the a$$ that I want to deal with. Hopefully Mike will see this post and possibly chime in. Mike explained that the PP grille is a real pain to prep and paint because of how its made.  He said it's difficult to have primer and paint to stick to the surface...
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

XS29J

Don't waste your time or money. Find an original and restore it.  Ordered mine 3/28/08 still no grille.

69chargerboy

Quote from: XS29J on October 20, 2008, 08:31:06 PM
Don't waste your time or money. Find an original and restore it.  Ordered mine 3/28/08 still no grille.

I agree.  :yesnod: :iagree:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

bull

That's what I figured. Oh well, it looked good on the surface.

Mike DC

PP needs to sh*t or get off the pot.  They need to either become a reliable supplier, or else announce they're out of the Charger grill industry so that some other supplier will get into it.  As long as they're in it like this, we're worse off than if they weren't here at all. 

(Look at how many other parts for these cars are already being tooled!  The '68-69 plastic grilles would probably have been tooled up by someone else AGES AGO if there was definitely nobody doing them already!)

SFRT

yeah if its softer grade ABS its going to have a ton of solvent in it that will outgass thru primer or paint. at the minimum you need to soak it in release agent remover them primer the hell out of it with a chemically compatible primer. then bake it then paint it. still may stay sticky.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Blown70

Quote from: XS29J on October 20, 2008, 08:31:06 PM

So good thing you bought that grille with the charger then huh?   :2thumbs:

XS29J

hotrod98

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 21, 2008, 09:45:41 AM
PP needs to sh*t or get off the pot.  They need to either become a reliable supplier, or else announce they're out of the Charger grill industry so that some other supplier will get into it.  As long as they're in it like this, we're worse off than if they weren't here at all. 

(Look at how many other parts for these cars are already being tooled!  The '68-69 plastic grilles would probably have been tooled up by someone else AGES AGO if there was definitely nobody doing them already!)

You are absolutely correct. One of the suppliers told me that they would not even consider making the 71 cuda grilles until the current guy quits offering them. I'm still waiting.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams