News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the best way to get the straightest line down the side of the body?

Started by tripleblkr/t, October 10, 2008, 06:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripleblkr/t

Blocking the filler primer and I want to make a nice straight line down the side while I block to it.  I usually use 2" wide tape and with another person go from one end of the quarter to the other.  Once I get the tape on nice and straight I'll sand down to it or up to it depending if I'm doing top of the quarter or the bottom of it.  Any one else have any better ways to make straight body lines. On some of my cars I'll use a laser and then lay the tape on the laser mark, works awesome on cudas, darts and dusters. On my charger the quarter bows out to much and messes the laser line up.  I guess I'll just have to make a nice body line with wide tape  :shruggy:.

hemi-hampton

DPL

I did the same on my 69 RT and it worked really well (laser wouldn't work)

The only catch was I ended up repeating the process 8 times!
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

Mike DC

Take a pretty thin dowel rod or something, maybe wood or plastic, etc . . . get one about 3-4 feet long with the right stiffness and you can flex it to lay against the body panels as you need to.  Draw a line down the panel with that. 

tripleblkr/t

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 11, 2008, 12:50:59 PM
Take a pretty thin dowel rod or something, maybe wood or plastic, etc . . . get one about 3-4 feet long with the right stiffness and you can flex it to lay against the body panels as you need to.  Draw a line down the panel with that. 

Cool thanks, thats a great idea!!

KS71owner

Hello all, new here but thought I'd chip in...

I've heard that magnetic sign material, like what you see on contractor vehicles, works well for making nice clean lines if it's cut into 1/2" wide or so strips about 6' long. At that width it will flex enough to curve and it will stay in place without tape. Never tried it, but a guy I talked to at a car show said it worked well for him. I'd think you'd have to tape it down if you're block sanding near it but it would be really easy to reposition until you're happy with it, then tape it.