News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear speaker installation

Started by carb, September 27, 2008, 07:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carb

Refinsihing the interior of my 69 and Im planning on installing a new pair of  6x9 's in the rear package tray area. There was an old pair of vintage Jensens that had seen better days living back there. They were mounted from below the sheetmetal, without speaker grills and the package tray had two huge 6x9ish holes cut into it.
Heres the questions;
1 - were the stock speaker(s) install from underneath the sheetmetal? From the shape of the metal decking, you'd think they fit into the holes from above.
2 - Ive seen at least one picture posted with modern speakers installed from below the package tray. Did you install anthing to limit vibration, or was the rubber mount around the speaker edge enough?
3 - Ive seen the post where theres Cerwin Vega speaker grills mounted to the package tray. How did you mount the speakers? above or below the sheet metal? Did you fit the speakers through the cardboard package tray? If the  speakers are mounted under the metal deck,how did you attach the grills to the tray, glue?
  Any pictures you might have of how your speakers were mounted, along with package tray details would be a great help. The 1969 service manual doesn't cover this one...
I'll most likely replace the package tray with a new one and I'm using the jute backing. I just cut holes in the jute over the speaker and under the speaker slots in the new tray, correct?
Thanks in advance.

Dodge Don

Yes they attach from under. I put a ring of foam to reduce vibrations between the speaker and the sheetmetal.

carb

I was thinking about  weather stripping foam, the narrow, self sticking stuff that goes around door ways. Is that what  you used ?  Or was in something special from an installer?

Dodge Don

Quote from: carb on September 28, 2008, 11:12:01 AM
I was thinking about  weather stripping foam, the narrow, self sticking stuff that goes around door ways. Is that what  you used ?  Or was in something special from an installer?

Pretty much the same type of stuff. I had extra foam from my heater box resto so I used that.

Spike

Used 6x8  Kenwood speakers in my 70 Charger and it worked out great.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: carb on September 28, 2008, 11:12:01 AM

I covered as much of the sheetmetal under the package tray as I could with Dynamat Extreme

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

carb

Its good to know Im in the ballpark, ideas wise.
Thanks for responding

mopar0166

what is everyone using to cover that area above the speakers and below the rear window?  the materail I currently have thier is shot!

Hemidog

Quote from: mopar0166 on October 01, 2008, 06:46:01 AM
what is everyone using to cover that area above the speakers and below the rear window?  the materail I currently have thier is shot!
Legendary sells the package tray cover with or w/o cutouts for the speakers!

mopar0166

thanks, i need to update it.  if you touch it, it falls apart.