News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 engine id

Started by koshe, September 26, 2008, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

koshe

where the ID codes are on my 340?

Ghoste

Drivers side, front of block, under the cylinder head.  There are more but that should have the cid, is that all you are looking for?

koshe

I am trying to figure out just whhat motor is in my car! I am told it is a 70 340.

Ghoste

There will also be casting numbers and date codes cast into the block on the sides.

koshe

The stamp under the head reads
EW340P2552   11
Can someone decode this?

Thanks

Ghoste

The first 2 digits indicate a 68-71 340 engine assembled at the Windsor plant.   The next 3 are the displacement.  The "P" I don't know and the next four are the day it was assembled which in this case works out to July 23, 1969.  The 11 is a field code and I don't know it either.

John_Kunkel

The "P" means Premium fuel needed, the 11 means it was the eleventh engine built that day. The late July '69 build date makes it a '70 model year.

There should be a VIN stamped on a machined flat just above the pan gasket on the passenger side of the block.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.