News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern engine in an old car

Started by Paul G, September 21, 2008, 09:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

How often do see a modern engine like the small block Hemi transplanted in to a classic car? I have been doing a little research and find that several company's make products to do this.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

71 B5383

What companies are these? My uncle does have a 360 from an '01 Durango in his '67 Dart GT,but he made everything himself.
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

Paul G

I did a Google search for "Hemi engine swap" and found several articles about this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hemi+engine+swap&aq=1&oq=

You can get the components needed to retrofit a junk yard engine, or you can buy carb'ed crate engines, etc.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Rolling_Thunder

I know autodynamics did it...      I am in the process of doing it...      couple others...    maybe half a dozen others i know of ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:   To date?".  bet I've seen a dozen cars like that, you do mean the modern Mopar hemi in Es and Bs right?.. I don't think I've seen a new one in a C yet though...  :shruggy: or an A. Just the internet.
only seen one in person though, that sublime Coronet at MOPAR ALLEY twice now.

share your links.  :RantExplode:

Paul G

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 21, 2008, 12:13:48 PM
:scratchchin: To date?". bet I've seen a dozen cars like that, you do mean the modern Mopar hemi in Es and Bs right?..

Exactly. I am thinking about what I want in my next Mopar. Probably B or E body, most likely 3rd gen B body Dodge or Plymouth. I would like to use a newer 5.7 or 6.1 hemi in it. Manual trans though. I really like the look of the stock Hemi, fuel injection, long runner intake, etc. sitting under the hood. The 5.7 Hemi with a carb intake looks a whole lot easier to install and get it running right. The thing about going this way is lots of power from a light engine. Daily driver reliability. And hopefully a lot less fuel consumption than an equally powered vintage motor.

greatwn73

I'm building one now. Its a carbed 5.7 going into a e-body. I'll be mocking up the engine while the car is at the bodyshop(special oil pan, TTi headers,oil filter relocation, special flex plate,etc,etc). I wouldn't have tried this without the internet.

Ghoste

It seems to be the next big fad so there'll likely be more and more companies jumping in shortly.

Mike DC

The trend isn't new, we Mopar guys are just the last ones to the party. 

We didn't have a truly modern new V8 until the mid-1990s. 
We still didn't have a very powerful new one until the early 2000s. 

And we didn't have that powerful new V8 in cheap local scrapyards until pretty recently.