News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

finally got the motor! *INSTALL PICS* -its running!-VIDEO * ITS ON THE STREET!*

Started by SFRT, September 19, 2008, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFRT

HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFTOFF

today was a GOOD day. Got it to fire up, broke in the cam, all's well.

got a nice steady 70lbs of oil pressure at idle, thing fires up instantly and purrs nicely. The exhaust note is nice and rumbly, without being droney. I AM FRIGIN STOKED.

there is 1 oil leak to fix tommorrow, and the top radiator house popped off, but thats fine now. the digital 'vintage' tach from Julius works great, btw. needle steady as a rock. I was nervous with that double pumper mechanical no choke carb, but at 60 degrees ( our normal temp around here) it fires right up WITHOUT having to pump the gas pedal.

all the rear lights work, as do all the gauges....so far so good. reverse light works, heater works, etc. the cutputs wouldnt work, took out the supplied 6 pole reverse polarity el cheapo switch-tested the switch its bad, so I have to get a 'real' one tommorrow.

all in all not nearly the amount of bugs we thought would happen.

the mechnical fuel pump seems to be just fine

so.....I think 1 more day and then all thats left is the cosmetic stuff...should be ON THE ROAD by say...Friday?

I do not have a video camera, but I think my friend Don does so I will try to get a little video made and posted this week.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FLG

AWESOME!!!!!

Cant wait to see that thing lay down some rubber,

Have you heard it with the cutouts open??  :drool5:

SFRT

nope, the switch was bunkum, so I have to find a 6 position reverse polarity toggle switch tommorrow. OH JOY
Always Drive Responsibly

FLG

Why? Thought it was just open or closed??

SFRT

you flick the switch 1 way to open, the other way to close, the middle position is 'off' so you need 6 pins/positions. thers a 'lip' on the cutout opening t hat acts as a back/forward stop.so you have to 'memorize' how long to throw the switch one way or the other before returning it to the 'off' position, otherwise the motors burn out as the gate pushes against the stops.
Always Drive Responsibly

FLG

Gotcha.

Wow for the prices ive been seeing id figure they would have a auto stop so that dosnt happen.

FLG

Got me thinking,

Might be overkill but why not install a time delay relay on em?? I know they make fixed ones im sure they have adjustable ones too, so you can set it and not have to worry about things.

SFRT

yeah maybe, will see how they work, and how it progresses.
Always Drive Responsibly

CB

QuoteI do not have a video camera, but I think my friend Don does so I will try to get a little video made and posted this week.

You definitely would make my day by posting the clip :cheers:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

SFRT

OMG..installed the new switch for the cutouts and they are just ruling. its insane.

open headers at the flick of the switch.

man..I cannot wait for the next time so guy comes up next to me blaring some annoying music......
Always Drive Responsibly

tripleblkr/t

I've never seen cutouts like those ones, where did you get them from? And is there any leaks with them or do they close up nice and tight? I wanted to add some to mine.

The70RT

Quote from: SFRT on October 07, 2008, 12:36:56 AM
OMG..installed the new switch for the cutouts and they are just ruling. its insane.

open headers at the flick of the switch.

man..I cannot wait for the next time so guy comes up next to me blaring some annoying music......

Yep that would be great. Now that gets me to thinking  :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tan top

good stuff dude  :drool5: can't wait to see & hear that thing on video  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tripleblkr/t

Does the hot rod black you used on your car have any sheen to it like the car in this pic. I want somthing that looks even not splotchey with a flat shine like the car in this photo. Wasnt sure if the hot rod black looks like this paint?

GeneralLeeTESH

aRE THOSE eLECTRICALLY OPERATED EXHAUST CUTOUTS SHOWN ON THE cHARGER ?
The TESH

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

Quote from: tripleblkr/t on October 07, 2008, 10:56:22 AM
Does the hot rod black you used on your car have any sheen to it like the car in this pic. I want somthing that looks even not splotchey with a flat shine like the car in this photo. Wasnt sure if the hot rod black looks like this paint?

yes pretty much. a nice even sheen with the SEM 'hotrod black'...its not the BEST paint, as it is single stage and scratches REALLY EASY, but it looks pretty cool. right now my car is a frankenstein of different sheens,,,,
Always Drive Responsibly

moparstuart

very cool dump valves , if i was alittle younger I would be ordering a set . Back in the day i would have killed for those .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

SFRT

DUDE YOU'RE NEVER TO OLD TO PISS OFF THE SQUARES!

get some. you will LOVE it.
Always Drive Responsibly

moparstuart

Quote from: SFRT on October 07, 2008, 11:20:00 AM
DUDE YOU'RE NEVER TO OLD TO PISS OFF THE SQUARES!

get some. you will LOVE it.
my big green wing car with no top already draws me all the attention I need , thanks

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tripleblkr/t

Thanks for the info on the cutouts, they look alot easier to install then the ones I was looking at :2thumbs:. I'm ordering me a set up right now. $399.00 for the pair correct.. That's not to bad of a price.

I was looking at the hot rod black paint and wasn't sure about the durabuility so I guess I'll go with black base and flat clear on mine as driven around alot.

Thanks for all the info and just wanted your cars coming along real nice!!

SFRT

I am happy with them, but the switch was crap, so I had to buy a 'real' quality switch ( 28.00) I also had the units themselves welded up a little better as their welds where spotty at best. they do supply a full tube of copper gasket sealer tho, which was nice of them.
Always Drive Responsibly

Just 6T9 CHGR

Lookin good man!  Try and get a video.  A lot of the LX guys are running those cutouts.  Chack out www.chargerforums.com or www.lxforums.com for group buys for a cheaper price.  Maryland Speed is a site supporting vendor over at those sites and offer member discounts IIRC
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

I got down to Frank's shop and gave the "scow" a thourough once over, to say Frank's Charger is "tight" is an understatement,.. he and his henchman bob, have done a increadable job re-animating the R/T first i saw of it there were swiss cheese holes and chickens running around. Cans of empty flat black spray paint used to hide the rust littered the interior, i think the chickens were high off the paint fumes.
anyhow,.. the car has an increadable amount of garage engineered details, I'll post some pics i took today but i know were all dying to see the exhaust cutout video,.. you really won't get an idea of the bellowing, crackling, thunderous fury from the audio as the camera's noise gate was completely overwhelmed and simply pegged at 100%. it was an experience kneeling at the business end and trying to record it  :eek2:
notice when he blips the gas the engine does not hardly even vibrate...  :rotz:  estimated at 550 HP you'd think something would move...  :shruggy: and our voices at the end are highly distorted cause the camera's mic. was pretty much fried still...  :lol:

remember he did all this work in only the past eight mos.

PocketThunder

:popcrn:

Well, i feel like its 10:30pm on prom night and i'm still waiting for my date to show up...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."