News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Southwest Winter Vacation 3,750 Mile Trip in 10 days! PICS!

Started by The70RT, September 19, 2008, 10:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

Ok guys it is me and the ole ladys 30th year of compatability and we want to get away somewhere the end of December. We are planning on driving to the southwest area of the country for a week or so. We were thinking of just driving to the area and stay somewhere different everyday. Any ideas of places of interest like the Grand Canyon etc. etc. Thanks Guys!

Dennis
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Samson

Triple A, has this web site with various links to various services. might be a good start, they usually have loads of destination and travel ideas as well as various discounts for members and maps and such.
It's a start anyway...

http://www.aaa.com/AAA_Travel/Travel/travel.htm

I would think the four corners area, pike's peak, Mt rushmore and the Crazy horse monument of course the grand canyon and the mesas of Ariz. and NM. would all be spots i'd wanna hit.

My most urgent vacation wish is to raft the colorado river...

Shakey

Palm Springs is nice.  There are also some decent places to stay in Death Valley.

Dodge Don

Sedona AZ is a must, Palm Springs is cool. The windfarms outside of Palm Springs are cool. Monument Valley UTAH. Gotta do old Route 66. Grand Canyon is a must see. Vegas. Hoover Dam.....lots to see. My favorite part of the USA.

skip68

Come on down to Vegas!!!!! :cheers: :2thumbs: I'll have some cold ones waiting for ya both! :cheers:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

(And if your good at working on Chargers, that will be a bonus!!! We'll just duck tape Chuck to the wall, so he stops tweeking with the damn car and screwing it up!!!!  :D :smilielol: :rofl:) Shhhhh! Don't tell him I said that! :smilielol:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Steve P.

Hey, hey, hey... There is NOTHING wrong with Duct Tape...   :lol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

The70RT

Thanks guys. I was planning on making Vegas the farthest point west.
Quote from: skip68 on September 19, 2008, 07:35:45 PM
Come on down to Vegas!!!!! :cheers: :2thumbs: I'll have some cold ones waiting for ya both! :cheers:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

(And if your good at working on Chargers, that will be a bonus!!! We'll just duck tape Chuck to the wall, so he stops tweeking with the damn car and screwing it up!!!!  :D :smilielol: :rofl:) Shhhhh! Don't tell him I said that! :smilielol:

we will ponder the idea....talk to Chuck.

Quote from: Finn on September 20, 2008, 12:09:03 AM
Quote from: Shakey on September 19, 2008, 06:54:09 PM
Palm Springs is nice.
Quote from: Dodge Don on September 19, 2008, 07:00:31 PM
Palm Springs is cool.

Lies! All lies!

:scratchchin:   :lol:

skip68

Quote from: The70RT on September 20, 2008, 10:32:38 AM
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

We will have a room set up for ya both! Just PM if interested, and if you make it here! :2thumbs:
Mr.&Mrs.Skip68 ;)

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

PocketThunder

Come to Minnesota!!!  After about 3 hours here you will be so thankful you live where you do she will be happy with just going home!!! 

Dont pay no attention this >>  http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2007/02/05/502895/BkniIcefshng.jpg     :drool5:

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Steve P.

I'll take Vegas ANY TIME............     :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Shakey

Palm Springs is nice.
Palm Springs is cool.

Lies! All lies!

I can back up my statements with facts and hotel ideas that would be perfect for a one or two night stay in each of the two locations I mentioned.

Would you care to elaborate and back up your statement with regards to why you think that both Palm Springs and Death Valley would not be worthy of a visit while someone tours through the SW United States?

What would you suggest?

Steve P.

What would you suggest?

I would suggest that SHAKEY comes out to Vegas for the MATS this March and has a great time with all of us...   :cheers:   ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Finn

Quote from: Shakey on September 21, 2008, 08:27:16 AM
Palm Springs is nice.
Palm Springs is cool.

Lies! All lies!

I can back up my statements with facts and hotel ideas that would be perfect for a one or two night stay in each of the two locations I mentioned.

Would you care to elaborate and back up your statement with regards to why you think that both Palm Springs and Death Valley would not be worthy of a visit while someone tours through the SW United States?

What would you suggest?

No problem, though just so you know I was saying that more in jest than meaning to call you a liar :2thumbs:.
Death Valley is a pretty, for lack of a better word, cool place. I was there for an astronomer event one night *was about 85-90 degrees out at midnight* and Ive never seen so many stars before. Palm springs on the other hand; maybe I have a different viewpoint because of my age and the fact I live in the SW but its just another stinkin hot, sweaty, humid as hell desert. Like take the humidity of FL and combine that with a semi vegas style minus the smoke smell everywhere you go and youve got palm spings. I spent 3 days there during which the only time I spent away from the hotel room/pool was at night. Maybe if your older there's more things to do but as a 17 year not much struck my fancy. Its a nice looking town architecture wise but it wasn't anything I haven't seen before and the weather discouraged most of the activities. Id be curious to know what you liked about it though, maybe I over looked something?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

The70RT

Quote from: skip68 on September 21, 2008, 12:52:58 AM
Quote from: The70RT on September 20, 2008, 10:32:38 AM
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

We will have a room set up for ya both! Just PM if interested, and if you make it here! :2thumbs:
Mr.&Mrs.Skip68 ;)

Thanks Skips. I will let you know as it gets closer  :2thumbs:

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 21, 2008, 12:59:09 AM
Come to Minnesota!!! After about 3 hours here you will be so thankful you live where you do she will be happy with just going home!!!

Dont pay no attention this >> http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2007/02/05/502895/BkniIcefshng.jpg :drool5:

ha ha I hear ya. It does get cold here. 26 below is our all time low. MN would be a great summer fishin trip which someday would love to do.

Shakey

Quote from: Steve P. on September 21, 2008, 12:02:45 PM

What would you suggest?

I would suggest that SHAKEY comes out to Vegas for the MATS this March and has a great time with all of us...   :cheers:   ;)

Well Steve, that is a fantastic idea and I most certainly would like to take you up on the invitation however I don't think it is going to work.

I will be there on buisness in February and for my vacation I will be going skiing.

One of these years it just might happen.

Thanks for thinking of me!   :cheers:

Shakey

Quote from: Finn on September 21, 2008, 04:23:54 PM
Quote from: Shakey on September 21, 2008, 08:27:16 AM
Palm Springs is nice.
Palm Springs is cool.

Lies! All lies!

What would you suggest?

No problem, though just so you know I was saying that more in jest than meaning to call you a liar :2thumbs:.
Death Valley is a pretty, for lack of a better word, cool place. I was there for an astronomer event one night *was about 85-90 degrees out at midnight* and Ive never seen so many stars before. Palm springs on the other hand; maybe I have a different viewpoint because of my age and the fact I live in the SW but its just another stinkin hot, sweaty, humid as hell desert. Like take the humidity of FL and combine that with a semi vegas style minus the smoke smell everywhere you go and youve got palm spings. I spent 3 days there during which the only time I spent away from the hotel room/pool was at night. Maybe if your older there's more things to do but as a 17 year not much struck my fancy. Its a nice looking town architecture wise but it wasn't anything I haven't seen before and the weather discouraged most of the activities. Id be curious to know what you liked about it though, maybe I over looked something?

Alright, I realize where you are coming from Finn.

I'm not a big fan of 110 F temperatures but that part of your country is very beautiful.

Death Valley - if your within 100 miles, it's worth it to go out of your way to see it.  If you're going on a road trip through the SW United States, I'd think that that would be an area that one would like to stop by and spend a night at one of the very nice resorts I passed by during my trip through there last February.

Palm Springs - Was there in July and I thought the town was very cool.  Loaded with history and decent places to eat.  As far as activities, for a guy that is over twice your age, if I have some spare time, sure I enjoy a round of golf but an excuse like "it's too damn hot to do anything" is a great reason to lounge poolside and do nothing for a day.

Steve P.

I'm thinking that you have been in enough snow to last a lifetime. Now it's time you come have a good time with your buddies and SHAKEY some hands....  ;) You can snow ski in Vegas too...   Less than an hour outside of the city there is plenty of snow...   Hell, VegasMike and I drove from Vegas, (78 degrees), to Northern Utah, (24 degrees), to pick up a car last March just before the show. About 45 miles North of Mike's house we were in snowy mountains and the temp was changing by the minute.. We were walking on solid ice in Utah...  Freezing too with just heavy shirts on.. The car we picked up had to be pulled out by a large tractor as it was frozen to the ground.. 5 hours later it was nice and toasty in Vegas.  :2thumbs:

:cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

The70RT

We are leaving the 26th and trying to take most of the old 66 route starting in Kansas. Glad the gas is a lot cheaper now. We are making Vegas our farthest point west. If we had more time I would love to go thru Cali and hit the Santa Monica pier, it is only 4.5 hours from Vegas  :scratchchin: We are going to be gone 8 days and that puts us driving 2-300 miles a day unless we stay some places longer and just head directly back and don't mess around.

moparstuart

Quote from: The70RT on December 08, 2008, 07:36:20 PM
We are leaving the 26th and trying to take most of the old 66 route starting in Kansas. Glad the gas is a lot cheaper now. We are making Vegas our farthest point west. If we had more time I would love to go thru Cali and hit the Santa Monica pier. We are going to be gone 8 days and that puts us driving 2-300 miles a day unless we stay some places longer and just head directly back and don't mess around.
you have to take pictures and  post them   :2thumbs:   watch out for them skip's in vegas , I hear really bad things about them and vegas traveler's :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

71EV2RT

We are leaving the 26th and trying to take most of the old 66 route starting in Kansas. Glad the gas is a lot cheaper now. We are making Vegas our farthest point west. If we had more time I would love to go thru Cali and hit the Santa Monica pier, it is only 4.5 hours from Vegas  :scratchchin: We are going to be gone 8 days and that puts us driving 2-300 miles a day unless we stay some places longer and just head directly back and don't mess around.

Sounds like fun!! Enjoy the warm weather!!

skip68

Quote from: moparstuart on December 08, 2008, 07:41:19 PM
We are leaving the 26th and trying to take most of the old 66 route starting in Kansas. Glad the gas is a lot cheaper now. We are making Vegas our farthest point west. If we had more time I would love to go thru Cali and hit the Santa Monica pier. We are going to be gone 8 days and that puts us driving 2-300 miles a day unless we stay some places longer and just head directly back and don't mess around.
you have to take pictures and  post them   :2thumbs:   watch out for them skip's in vegas , I hear really bad things about them and vegas traveler's :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

MOPARSTUART!!!!  :slap: BE NICE! LOL!  :smilielol: You're just jealous that Chuck &  I are such very, very, very, cool people!!!!!  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: (who just happen to live in a very popular town for travelers/tourists!)  :scratchchin:  :nana: J/K
Yes, Dennis and his wife are coming to our neck of the "desert", and we will take pics. and post up! We're looking forward to meeting them!  :2thumbs:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

dodgecharger-fan

Pssst... Don't leave your car alone for too long or it'll end up being auctioned off on DC.com.    :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on December 09, 2008, 09:34:05 AM
Pssst... Don't leave your car alone for too long or it'll end up being auctioned off on DC.com.    :lol:
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: you better watch them skip's like a hawk   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  have a great time dennis
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

The70RT

dodgecharger-fan - Pssst... Don't leave your car alone for too long or it'll end up being auctioned off on DC.com.[/size]    :lol:

I don't think they need a mini van  :lol:......... :scratchchin:

[quote author=moparstuart link=topic=48739.msg560983#msg560983       you better watch them skip's like a hawk       have a great time dennis  scope: :scope: :scope: Thx. Stu

71EV2RT - Hopefully it won't be too cool.....It will be better than KS I hope  ;D