News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B&M shifter instead of console?

Started by Tarzan, September 19, 2008, 07:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarzan

I'm thinking about taking the console out and just have a B&m shifter instead to make it look more mean.

Does anyone have pictures of a 69 without the console?

Want to have a look before I make up my mind.

RECHRGD

B&M shifters do look nice but have a problem with burning up cables, especially if you have headers.  I finally swapped mine out for a Turbo Action (Cheeta) unit that has the cable attaching to the rear of the tranny.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Tarzan

I do have headers, so then it might cause problems. That sucks. Nothing I can do about it???

Does anyone have pictures, so that I can at least make up my mind if I want the console to stay or not.

Rolling_Thunder

ive installed a couple B&Ms and never had a problem with burnt cables...    careful and secured routing can usually be found....       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Tarzan

WingCharger

Quote from: Tarzan on September 20, 2008, 10:31:41 AM
Got Pictures??? Anyone???

Yeah!!!! PICS!!! I cant find any pictures of four speed Chargers without a console either! :brickwall:

TexasStroker

I'm running a B&M Megashifter...

BUT

I simply took off the top console plate and have the shifter nestled inside the actual console...It doesn't look bad as is imo, but I always planned on fabbing up a "cover" to match the console lid etc...

It has been so long since I've been IN the car I don't even have pics of it, not sure it would help you though anway...I can, however, say that prior to tearing out the trunk floor and sitting on stands so long the shifter never had any problems, just route the cable carefully and check it periodically.  Going strictly visual here, I think it would look very good...just trim the B&M material carefully to blend in...Plus, you'll save tons not having to buy a new console or redo your existing one...Hope that helps a little  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

1BAD68

This probably wont help you regarding the B&M shifter but I installed a Hurst V-matic in my 68.
Instead of using the cable, I bent up a rod to hook it up to the existing shift lever. I've been banging gears HARD all summer now and it still works perfect.
I didn't want to mess with the original brackets, so thats why its mounted kinda funky right now.

mikepmcs

Best i can do on short notice,  I can't find my interior pics.  The cable is a problem but fixable.  After my second one, I put a little j hook on the back of the starter with a nut i threaded on the bolt sticking out of the starter and looped it on there(it's tough but you can do it)  Then I got some of that heat resistant shielding/sheathing(can't remember where I got it, maybe NAPA or Summit, to slide over the cable, no more problems.
Here you go anyway.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TexasStroker

hey mikepmcs...

Before you slide thru the window, get that door lock knob off and push it down,  :icon_smile_big:...

Very clean looking set up though, gives the CB more room too. 

If I can get pics coming up I'll add them to the thread...I think his mike's pic should help you make up your mind!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

mikepmcs

I know it's pretty dirty lookin' right there, but I wrecked it early summer and it was in pieces when I took this pic.
Wait, it's still not put together... times a changin' though, I've got 2 beauties to work on during the winter. :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TexasStroker

If that's not clean, what must clean look like? 
Looks good to me!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Hemidog