News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Even though it appeared clutterd or at least that is how my wife would describe it, HE knew exactly where to look for anything. Definately has a great mind for remembering details.

hemigeno

OK, I finally have a few minutes here and will try to post a few pictures from last weekend's foray into AutoRestorationHeaven (a/k/a Vance's shop)

These first shots just show the overall look of the car from the front.  If you look at the last pictures I shot/posted from back in October, not a whole lot has changed in some respects.  They've done a lot of spit & polish work on the body which takes time to get absolutely perfect, but doesn't have the ooh-ahh visible effect that earlier stages had.

hemigeno

More general pictures, which honestly don't show too much "progress" unless you get up close.

hemigeno

Here are a few shots that show the work they've put into making the margins uniform.  NOT an easy task, as some of you guys know all too well...

hemigeno

More margin pictures...

hemigeno

Other door's margins:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Some hood margin shots

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on January 11, 2008, 06:07:24 PM
  nice gap's

Thanks, Stuart - I thought they're turning out nice too.

I do not have the patience to be a bodyman.  I can spend half a day fitting a single wood door to a frame (I was a carpenter back when I worked in the field), but smoothing out sheet metal and fitting it together like that would drive me bananas.  Guess it's all what you get used to...

hemigeno

I tried to take a few close-ups of the hood scoop leading edges.  This was not a simple scoop they molded - the front edge has to conform to the shape of the fender's topside, which is sloped higher at the outer edge than near the hood edge.  Weird shape, and I don't know if the pictures I took did it justice, but these injection-molded pieces actually fit the fenders quite nicely.  Incidentally, Jo-Ad Industries (the original maker of the scoops) is still in business today.  Think they still have the molds for the scoops yet?   :shruggy:

hemigeno

I took a few pictures of the area around the window plug.  Larry/daytonalo has replicated many of these same features around his window plug, but I figured I'd post a few more of this area.

abebummy26

Wow I'm impressed really starting to look nice, Gene. I've got an eye for body work, and am I impressed. Better gaps than she left the factory with. :nana:  :hah: :lol: ;)

hemigeno

Here are a couple of shots showing the A-Pillar's original deflector mounting holes that remain visible.

hemigeno

Quote from: abebummy26 on January 11, 2008, 06:21:38 PM
Wow I'm impressed really starting to look nice, Gene. I've got an eye for body work, and am I impressed.

Thanks, Lincoln!

Quote from: abebummy26 on January 11, 2008, 06:21:38 PM
Better gaps than she left the factory with.

Very sad, but oh-so-very-true...   :rotz:

That's all the pics I have time for at the moment (gotta take my 9 year old to basketball practice).  I'll post a bunch of pictures I took of the nosecone, brackets, etc. next week.  There's also an issue we're kicking around regarding which color to paint the front chin spoiler, believe it or not...

Charger-Bodie

Gene. I would also like to say that its looking great! Just one question that you may or may not have an answer to. Is that poly surfacer on the daytona or regular primer surfacer? Im just curious from a bodyman stand point.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

xs29j8Bullitt

Looking great Gene!... Got me ooh-aahing!  :2thumbs:

It is starting to look like a car again with a "crisp" look to it, while my C500 just went the other way...  :P  It will get better though!

I wish a wing car pro like Vance had a resto business down here, but I am trying to get my resto guy Joe up to "wing car" speed!  :icon_smile_big:  He passed the plug removal test with "flying" colors...  :lol:

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

69_500

Thinking of painting the chin spoiler black are you Gene?

Car looks like its coming along great. You were right when we talked on the phone, not a whole lot different as far as cosmetic appearance since the last trip. I will make it up there in the next month or so, or the next time you go. I wanna go see it again in person, and  :drool5: Maybe even swing over to Detroit again.

tan top

shaping up now  :yesnod:   looks good      :2thumbs:                  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

PocketThunder

Nice progress Geno  :2thumbs: 

Just like the engineers motto. fast, cheap and easy, pick two of three.   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

abebummy26

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 12, 2008, 12:10:59 AM
Nice progress Geno  :2thumbs: 

Just like the engineers motto. fast, cheap and easy, pick two of three.   :Twocents:

My grandpa always said "If engineers had to work on the stuff they designed everything would be much simpler."

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hemigeno

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 11, 2008, 06:29:34 PM
Gene. I would also like to say that its looking great! Just one question that you may or may not have an answer to. Is that poly surfacer on the daytona or regular primer surfacer? Im just curious from a bodyman stand point.

Brian,

You've asked me a question which will reemphasize the fact that I know very little about bodywork and the materials used (did I mention I'm a carpenter by trade??  :P ).

The primary materials the guys have used so far are:
>>  DP40 Sealer (w/ DP401 Catalyst)
>>  K36 Primer (w/ K201 Catalyst)
>>  The pictures I'm about to post of the nosecone will show a black primer, which is DP90 (w/ DP 401 Catalyst).

Now what those designators mean and whether that information answers your question, I honestly don't know.  Did I mention I'm a carpenter??  I can always ask a specific question of Vance if you'd like, as he's fairly used to being peppered with questions when I talk to him.

:2thumbs:

69_500

Hey from the way he was answering questions the time I went up there, I don't think he minds being asked questions. And if he can't think of it right off the top of his head (which was the case in probably 8 out of 10 questions we had), he has the resources to get you the right answer.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemigeno on January 14, 2008, 07:26:36 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on January 11, 2008, 06:29:34 PM

Brian,

You've asked me a question which will reemphasize the fact that I know very little about bodywork and the materials used (did I mention I'm a carpenter by trade??  :P ).

The primary materials the guys have used so far are:
>>  DP40 Sealer (w/ DP401 Catalyst)
>>  K36 Primer (w/ K201 Catalyst)
>>  The pictures I'm about to post of the nosecone will show a black primer, which is DP90 (w/ DP 401 Catalyst).

Now what those designators mean and whether that information answers your question, I honestly don't know.  Did I mention I'm a carpenter??  I can always ask a specific question of Vance if you'd like, as he's fairly used to being peppered with questions when I talk to him.

:2thumbs:

None of the products you've mention are poly surfacer, not that thats bad ,I was just curios.

The products listed are very good products infact!

If you wouldn't mind asking Vance what his thoughts are on poly surfacer Id be interested in hearing his views on the stuff?

Are you a carpenter by chance??  :icon_smile_question:  :icon_smile_question: :hah:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............