News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abebummy26

That is true about the local judges. I know a few of them, and your right they would not appreciate the "as manufactured" details on it. That sounds good about coming down to the shop. I wouldn't make it to any of the mopar shows. That is a little to far for me.

moparstuart

some of us could careless about judges , no offense geno  show it some for fun too!!!!!
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69_500

You mean the Nationals hasn't said anything about allowing it to be judged? I'm assuming they are wating to see photo's of it after its completed before they give any answer right? Or are they just full up with wing cars and only accepting judging slips for minivans :nana:

I just wanna see it once its done, so I can stare at all the little things.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on December 11, 2007, 05:42:32 PM
only accepting judging slips for minivans

Boy, iddn't that the truth... :flame:

I'll be staring at a whole lot of little things on it, and I'm sure I'll have a thousand questions for Vance even after he's finished with it.  "What on earth is THAT for??"  *gasp* "Did they really do THAT??"  It will be a constant learning experience for me too.

Quote from: moparstuart on December 11, 2007, 03:52:13 PM
some of us could careless about judges , no offense geno show it some for fun too!!!!!

Stu, I'm sure I'll take it to some local shows too, but I'm also sure I'll get more than a few comments about the crappy overspray, etc.  It's sorta like having an orange '69 Charger (even an authentic Hemicar).  Take it out in public, and let the General Lee remarks commence.

No, kid, I have not jumped it and don't intend to.
No, you cannot slide across the hood.
No, my name is not Bo.  Or Luke.
No, I do not have a decal kit bought for it, nor do I have any intention of putting a CB antenna on the decklid.

will be replaced with

Yes, that's the way they did it at Creative Industries.
Creative Industries - an outside vendor hired by Chrysler to do the Daytona conversions.
No, they did not build the Batmobile too.
No, they did not all come with Hemi's.  Or 440 Hemi 6packs.
Creative Indu - nevermind.
You're right, it looks awful.

I'll have much more fun driving it, but that'll be curtailed the first year or two - not because I'm scared of it, but because it's just flat too much trouble to clean it all up again.  After I've made the shows I want to, I'll relax a bit and enjoy the car for what it was meant to do - cruise  (or at least that's the plan).

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on December 11, 2007, 06:14:29 PM
only accepting judging slips for minivans

Boy, iddn't that the truth... :flame:

I'll be staring at a whole lot of little things on it, and I'm sure I'll have a thousand questions for Vance even after he's finished with it.  "What on earth is THAT for??"  *gasp* "Did they really do THAT??"  It will be a constant learning experience for me too.

Quote from: moparstuart on December 11, 2007, 03:52:13 PM
some of us could careless about judges , no offense geno show it some for fun too!!!!!

Stu, I'm sure I'll take it to some local shows too, but I'm also sure I'll get more than a few comments about the crappy overspray, etc.  It's sorta like having an orange '69 Charger (even an authentic Hemicar).  Take it out in public, and let the General Lee remarks commence.

No, I do not have a decal kit bought for it, nor do I have any intention of putting a CB antenna on the decklid.

will be replaced with

Creative Industries - an outside vendor hired by Chrysler to do the Daytona conversions.

I'll have much more fun driving it, but that'll be curtailed the first year or two - not because I'm scared of it, but because it's just flat too much trouble to clean it all up again.  After I've made the shows I want to, I'll relax a bit and enjoy the car for what it was meant to do - cruise  (or at least that's the plan).
yeah your damned if you do , or damned if you dont   if you over restore it they would complain also , it's your car do it your way

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69_500

I'm still staring at the photo's I took of it the last time I saw your Daytona. Each time I look, I see something else that I didnt notice before. Some body markings, and stamps. Then i try to figure them out. Its a never ending process isn't it.

notabird

I am so tired of General Lee  stuff. We were at a show with
the daytona and some space cadet kept calling it the General Lee on steroids, I finally asked him to leave. Brent

learical1

Quote from: notabird on December 12, 2007, 06:14:47 PM
the daytona and some space cadet kept calling it the General Lee on steroids, I finally asked him to leave. Brent

My LimeLite SuperBird at the 1978 Phoenix World of Wheels show.  The 'Bird was fresh out of the body shop(less than a week), and I hadn't had time to put any decals on yet.

Kid at show:  Dad, look!  It's a Chevelle with a Corvette front end!
Dad:  Son, I think it's a Plymouth.
Kid: No, Dad, it's a Chevelle with a Corvette front end!
Me: 'SIGH!'  <rattle of me shaking head heard clear across exibition hall.> :shruggy:
Bruce

abebummy26

I'll probably be at Borgia with my body man. He's got an '89 Chevy swb regular cab. We will be redoing starting this weekend. So I will be at a few local shows with him. I've been helping him on his '56 Chevy post as well.

hemigeno

Quote from: abebummy26 on December 13, 2007, 09:34:33 PM
I'll probably be at Borgia with my body man. He's got an '89 Chevy swb regular cab. We will be redoing starting this weekend. So I will be at a few local shows with him. I've been helping him on his '56 Chevy post as well.

Lincoln,

I don't know if the car will be ready by the Borgia show - isn't it usually in early/mid May?  Even if it was done by then, I don't know if that's the first show I'd want to take it to.  That's the same group of judges which constantly disses my 2-ton truck because it has dual 4-bbls on it.  Yeah, I know it wasn't built that way, but it's so much cooler that way than having a 2bbl and an oil bath air cleaner...   :coolgleamA:   My dad and his Model A buddies like going to that show though.  The '56 sounds like a neat project, and there usually are some nice hotrods at that show.

Quote from: learical1 on December 13, 2007, 12:26:19 AM
Quote from: notabird on December 12, 2007, 06:14:47 PM

My LimeLite SuperBird at the 1978 Phoenix World of Wheels show. The 'Bird was fresh out of the body shop(less than a week), and I hadn't had time to put any decals on yet.

Kid at show: Dad, look! It's a Chevelle with a Corvette front end!
Dad: Son, I think it's a Plymouth.
Kid: No, Dad, it's a Chevelle with a Corvette front end!
Me: 'SIGH!' <rattle of me shaking head heard clear across exibition hall.> :shruggy:

Bruce, at least the dad got close with what the car is - but I hear ya on the dumb comments. 

I can just imagine the conversation that Brent & Sherri had with the misguided GennyLee fan, and I only hope that it wasn't at the Pigeon Forge invitation-only show you guys were at.  That show seemed like it would attract spectators with a little more couth.  (BTW, congrats again on being invited :2thumbs: )

abebummy26

Yeah Borgia is always memorial day weekend. That's just dumb about your 2 ton truck, but I can't say I'm extremely surprised.

notabird

Gene, I think that guy was at Springfield,Il. The crowd at the Forge Show was very nice and most were well informed. Great show.Thanks by the way.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hemigeno on December 11, 2007, 06:14:29 PM

will be replaced with

That's just about right, too. :smilielol:

Just wanted to pop in & say that even though I haven't posted much, I'm enjoying the progress reports on your resto. It's looking great! :cheers:
Love the Hemi room too! The idea of your own private little show room is too cool. :coolgleamA:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemigeno

Thanks, Grant!  Calling the HemiHouse a private showroom might be a tad much though - when I start charging for admission or selling souveniers, then it's a showroom  :D     

Hmmmm   :scratchchin:   HemiHouseTM    :scratchchin:   

Nah...

I heard from Vance this week, and they just about have the nosecone cleaned/straightened up and fitted to the front clip.  He said they took a ton of pictures during the disassembly of the nosecone for reference, and he's supposedly sending them to me on a disc.  I'll post them once I get the disc, since that should be some great info for understanding how all the pieces fit together.

It seems every time I catch my breath at work and could sneak out for a day, the weather turns nasty up north or 'round here.  Figures.

69_500

Hey Gene, weekends in january and February are good ones to go to Michigan. Nothing like freezing rain on the drive up is there? Oh wait that was last year.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hemigeno on December 20, 2007, 04:13:27 PM
I heard from Vance this week, and they just about have the nosecone cleaned/straightened up and fitted to the front clip.  He said they took a ton of pictures during the disassembly of the nosecone for reference, and he's supposedly sending them to me on a disc.  I'll post them once I get the disc, since that should be some great info for understanding how all the pieces fit together.

Looking forward to a full set of the nosecone disassembly pictures... I will need them when I try to put my Daytona nose together... say in 20 years or so...  :eek2:  :rotz:  :P

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hemigeno

Allen, no disc/pictures yet.  If I can get a little more caught up at work on Monday (when I hope the phone does not ring much) I might try to head up there on Thusday or Friday.  I'll not only have another batch of my own pictures to post then, but I'll nab the nosecone disassembly pictures then for certain.  Oh, and you're just getting warmed up with this C500 project.  You'll be on a roll and won't be able to stop until all your stable is standing tall again...

Of course, my raising the mere possibility of a trip ensures a severe winter storm will hit SW Michigan right around then.  My apologies to the folks who live in that area (and to Danny, if you decide to head north as well) :P

69_500

Hmmm, your thinking of heading to Michigan this coming weekend? I don't think that we have any plans for this Saturday at all. I'd be up for a trip, but couldn't make it until Saturday.

hemigeno

Danny,

I am mostly caught up here at work and plan to take Friday off for a road trip.  Plan "A" is to hit northwest Chicago about 9am, stop by Vance's about 2pm very briefly, and then try to dash across the state to visit our favorite NW Detroit resident for a time.  If things go as planned, I should be back at Vance's shop by around 10am on Saturday morning.  I'll try and give you a call tomorrow from the road to confirm that schedule.

If Steve L. or any other guys want to stop by Vance's on Saturday, drop me a PM and I'll set things up.

Hopefully lots of progress & disassembly/reference pictures to post after that... 

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemigeno

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69_500

Hmmmmm, man you sure you make it a short stop  there in Detroit? Last time it was about 17 hours and we didn't even make a dent in the stuff? I'd love to get ahold of him, and just plan a 2 day trip to go back up there and snoop through everything. I spent most of the day we were up there just in a daze in amazement at what all he had. Then he would start in on a story, and next thing I know it would be an hour later.

FJMG

I could listen to his stories all day and then some. The way my mind is now I'll be lucky to remember my name and address at his age. Last time we spoke we delved into the 68 SS cars, he said he felt like a teenager again.