News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

totally awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

About the 'bird and the extra hole--I'd have to look.  We've never had a NON wing b-body, so I don't know what's not there on the "regular" cars...

hemigeno

Our collective best guess is that the hole was intended to give some extra slack in the vacuum lines which are routed up & over the radiator yoke rather than going through the battery cooling hole as on a regular Charger.  The factory's punched hole just to the left of the drilled hole (in the picture above) is all that should be present on any other '69 B-body.  I'm not sure if they were punched on '70 B-bodies, since all Charger's headlights went to electrically operated.  The 'Bird's use of the '69 vacuum actuator arrangement might have required the addition of a hole on the inner fender which was not drilled or punched on any other '70.  In other words, there might only be one hole on a 'Bird, and none on any other '70.

:scratchchin:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on November 30, 2007, 12:19:30 PM
About the 'bird and the extra hole--I'd have to look.  We've never had a NON wing b-body, so I don't know what's not there on the "regular" cars...
wing snob!!!!!!!!!

hemi68charger

Guess my '69 C500 is a "regular" car.... It's a Non-nosecone car.................     I'll have to look on Dana to see if she has a hole there................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

FJMG

Hemigeno, I think you better check the trac-lok on the rear of your charger, I see only a single tire burnout on the floor of your "hemihouse"

hemigeno

Quote from: FJMG on November 30, 2007, 02:25:15 PM
Hemigeno, I think you better check the trac-lok on the rear of your charger, I see only a single tire burnout on the floor of your "hemihouse"

Hi Robert!

I was wondering when someone would question the black marks in the room, as I wasn't actually cutting with the R/T inside the shop.  They're actually from a fork truck that we putter around with, and apparently Cat trucks don't have SureGrips   :P 

I'll send ya a PM later on if I get the chance...

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 30, 2007, 02:20:18 PM

Guess my '69 C500 is a "regular" car.... It's a Non-nosecone car.................     I'll have to look on Dana to see if she has a hole there................

Troy, we checked Danny's & Jerry Narramore's cars and none of them had the hole.  That helped reinforce my theory about vacuum line slack.  I'd highly suspect that the hole is not there on any C500 since the need for vacuum lines went away.  Still, it'd be interesting to confirm that.

PocketThunder

Gene, what are the two white square openings on the back wall for?  HVAC?  :shruggy:

My bro-in-law has a place like that for his Harleys set up in the corner of his shed.  Its nice to have to keep the dust and dirt out.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemigeno

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 30, 2007, 03:10:43 PM
Gene, what are the two white square openings on the back wall for?  HVAC?  :shruggy:

My bro-in-law has a place like that for his Harleys set up in the corner of his shed.  Its nice to have to keep the dust and dirt out.

That's my indirect Carbon Monoxide ventilation system.  The white louvers/covers are some 400cfm exhaust fans I have piped to the outside.  I positioned the fans so that the tailpipes exit directly in front of the exhaust fans.  That way when I need to start the cars up for a bit I can turn the exhaust fans on to keep from fumigating the place - or more specifically, from fumigating ME...

I don't plan on letting the cars idle or run forever in there, as that wouldn't be too safe.  However, I don't like starting them up without letting them at least get up to operating temperature.  Being able to let them run inside without having to pull them outside will make it easier to keep the cars limbered up while also keeping condensation inside the engine from becoming a problem.

The HVAC unit in between the exhaust fans is a left-over piece from a hotel project (it was free!).  It should be enough to heat/cool the 900sf room just fine, and the dehumidifier off to the side will keep the moisture down during the in-between periods when neither heat nor cooling is needed.  The cabinets were free too (demo'd them from another construction project).  Yeah, I can be cheap too... :icon_smile_big:

PocketThunder

I figured they were all salvaged pieces.  i like the swing doors in front, i'm guessing they were take outs also? 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 30, 2007, 04:07:39 PM
I figured they were all salvaged pieces.  i like the swing doors in front, i'm guessing they were take outs also? 
thats an office not a garage

hemigeno

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 30, 2007, 04:07:39 PM

Unfortunately, I couldn't salvage everything.  Wish I could have, but it wasn't going to work out that way and still get what I wanted - which was a 30x30 clearspan with 50psf storage on top.  The doors were special order, but the company I ordered them from knew what they were for and didn't charge me too much.  They're a pair of 4'-0"x7'-0" doors which gives me about 9" on either side of the doorhandles when the cars are going through the opening.  Enough room, but not enough to feel real comfortable.  I wanted something that you could see through, and some sort of garage door or coiling shutter/door just did not fit the room as well.  Anything wider on a standard leaf door would have made it too heavy for the hinges though.

69_500

Ah so the parking area is coming along as well as the restoration of the Daytona. Gene I looked at 2 other unrestored Charger 500's since we first kicked around the whole extra hole in the inner fender. NEITHER one of them had a 2nd hole, just the 1 from the factory, just like every other 69 Charger that I've looked at since then. I even went and looked at a Daytona that is local that had a paint job applied in the early 70's but nothing else and it has the 2nd hole just like yours. As of yet, the count is 0 Daytonas without the hole, and 0 other cars with the hole.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on November 30, 2007, 05:43:42 PM
As of yet, the count is 0 Daytonas without the hole, and 0 other cars with the hole.

Make that 1 Daytona w/o the hole.  The pic below is of 287970, but its vacuum hoses are NOT routed over the radiator yoke.  Instead, they are ran through a separate hole drilled in the yoke with a very crude grommet.  A very strong argument for the early/pre-production status of this car...

UFO

Resto looks to be going quite nicely.
There is something missing in your new home for the cars though.What about the truck?
Is it not going to feel left out?
If it starts to give you trouble you will know it's mad at you.LOL

hemigeno

Quote from: UFO on November 30, 2007, 05:50:13 PM
Resto looks to be going quite nicely.
There is something missing in your new home for the cars though.What about the truck?
Is it not going to feel left out?
If it starts to give you trouble you will know it's mad at you.LOL

Thanks, Brian.  Yeah, the truck will probaly get jealous.  At the moment, it is parked directly outside the HemiHouse looking through the glass at the R/T.  Kinda like a hungry orphan looking through the window of the Bakery...  Maybe that explains why I'm having oil ring problems with the truck's engine again?   :shruggy:  I guess I'll have to go have a talk with Ol' Red and let 'im know that the alternative is to be parked outside all winter long.  Might straighten everything out??   :P

69_500

Well if your truck is that jealous Gene, there is always room here at my house for it.

Yeah I forgot about the odd ball car without the hole. But then again is it really a Daytona? Just kidding, I think it is, but others well everyone has their opinions.

Showed my wife the photo's of your hemihouse, and she wanted to know why you didn't paint he walls in there R4 red or HEMI orange.

hemigeno

The honest-to-goodness reason I didn't go with a Hi-Impact color or some other retina-scorching hue was because I wanted the cars to stick out not the room.  Besides, if I went with V2 the Daytona wouldn't match; and vice versa.

Maybe I shoulda went with F8...   :scratchchin:

Nah.

69_500

I think she was being a wise guy because I painted 2 of the 4 walls in my garage HEMI Orange. I'm planning on drawing a Charger 500 and a Daytona on the other two walls so they remained white.

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemigeno on November 30, 2007, 05:47:49 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on November 30, 2007, 05:43:42 PM
As of yet, the count is 0 Daytonas without the hole, and 0 other cars with the hole.

Make that 1 Daytona w/o the hole.  The pic below is of 287970, but its vacuum hoses are NOT routed over the radiator yoke.  Instead, they are ran through a separate hole drilled in the yoke with a very crude grommet.  A very strong argument for the early/pre-production status of this car...

Put me down for "without" the hole.   :yesnod:

xs29j8Bullitt

My Charger 500 & Daytona fit the pattern...

B5 Blue Charger 500 - No additional hole

R4 Red Daytona - Additional hole

Your vacuum line routing theory makes sense to me Geno!

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

69_500

The hole for your Daytona looks much cleaner than some of the other ones that I've been looking at since Gene first asked about it. Some of them look really crude, and sloppy. Like they weren't drilled out, but rather punched out with a punch.

abebummy26

Looking good Geno. I hope to see the car when you get it done. Do you think it will be done by car show season? What shows will you be going to this spring? I'd like to come see the Hemi car, even If the Daytona isn't done. The truck would be nice to as well.

hemigeno

Thanks, Lincoln!

I chatted with Vance on Friday, and he expects the car to be done "this spring", although that still leaves a pretty wide range of time.  You're welcome to stop by and visit anytime, whether your Dad can make it then or not.

As far as which shows I make it to next year with the Daytona, I really hope to make Carlisle and the 'Nats.  Neither have responded back to my request for entry into some of the upper-level judging categories they have, but perhaps there is still time.  I'll still hit MonsterMopar too, as usual.  The local shows around here probably won't appreciate the level of detail we've gone to on the car, as most "judges" would consider the overall restoration to be pretty sloppy/shoddy - even though it's intended to look just like it was when brand-new at the dealership.