News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hemigeno

The first picture is of the mysterious holes around the C-pillar script emblems.  I think I figured out what these holes are from.  When I got the car, the script emblems were held on with sheet metal screws.  I always wondered why that was, since they were supposed to be held on from the backside with speed nuts.  When Vance started sanding around on the body, I found out for the first time that the car had been repainted at least once and probably twice (always with R4 from what we can tell).  More than likely, during one of the repaints some genius pried the emblems off and then found out the hard way that they would have to take the headliner loose to get to the backsides of the studs.  Drill a couple extra holes, and voila - problem solved...  That's my best guess, but I think Vance may have discarded the old screwed-up emblems so I may never be able to double-check that logic.  Vance's guys have since filled these holes in so they're gone for good.

The second pic is of the rocker panel area that is being smoothed out as slick as the topside.

xs29j8Bullitt

After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hemigeno

A couple of pictures of the drip rail termination / back corner of the rear window.  Someone had asked me several months ago about this area and I just now got around to taking/posting pictures of the area (sorry!).

hemigeno

Quote from: The70RT on November 29, 2007, 09:17:18 PM
Lookin good man :2thumbs:

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on November 29, 2007, 09:25:50 PM

Bring 'em on!... Right Click, Save! :2thumbs:

Allen

Thanks Guys!  I'll be glad when this little task is done, but hopefully it'll help someone figure their stuff out...

Charger-Bodie

Hey Geno, did I miss something somewhere about why the sail panel has too many emblem holes? :shruggy:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemigeno

I took several different shots/angles of the front fenders, which honestly don't need much explanation.

Left Fender...

hemigeno

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 29, 2007, 09:28:33 PM
Hey Geno, did I miss something somewhere about why the sail panel has too many emblem holes? :shruggy:

Yup, about 4 replies earlier than yours...   :P

Quote from: hemigeno on November 29, 2007, 09:22:56 PM
The first picture is of the mysterious holes around the C-pillar script emblems. I think I figured out what these holes are from. When I got the car, the script emblems were held on with sheet metal screws. I always wondered why that was, since they were supposed to be held on from the backside with speed nuts. When Vance started sanding around on the body, I found out for the first time that the car had been repainted at least once and probably twice (always with R4 from what we can tell). More than likely, during one of the repaints some genius pried the emblems off and then found out the hard way that they would have to take the headliner loose to get to the backsides of the studs. Drill a couple extra holes, and voila - problem solved... That's my best guess, but I think Vance may have discarded the old screwed-up emblems so I may never be able to double-check that logic. Vance's guys have since filled these holes in so they're gone for good.

The second pic is of the rocker panel area that is being smoothed out as slick as the topside.

hemigeno

A few more fender pics, right side

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hemigeno

I took a couple of pictures showing the lower edge of the fender, where the valance ties in.  This is not a straight line, as you might think from just looking at a Daytona from a distance.  Figured some guys could visualize things a little better after seeing these shots...

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemigeno on November 29, 2007, 09:31:53 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on November 29, 2007, 09:28:33 PM

Yup, about 4 replies earlier than yours...   :P

Quote from: hemigeno on November 29, 2007, 09:22:56 PM
The first picture is of the mysterious holes around the C-pillar script emblems. I think I figured out what these holes are from. When I got the car, the script emblems were held on with sheet metal screws. I always wondered why that was, since they were supposed to be held on from the backside with speed nuts. When Vance started sanding around on the body, I found out for the first time that the car had been repainted at least once and probably twice (always with R4 from what we can tell). More than likely, during one of the repaints some genius pried the emblems off and then found out the hard way that they would have to take the headliner loose to get to the backsides of the studs. Drill a couple extra holes, and voila - problem solved... That's my best guess, but I think Vance may have discarded the old screwed-up emblems so I may never be able to double-check that logic. Vance's guys have since filled these holes in so they're gone for good.

Oops!! sorry about that , I glazed right over that! :brickwall: Its looking great!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemigeno

One last shot of the outer fender, and then I'll get into a batch of inner fender shots from various perspectives.

69_500

So thats what it looked like a few months back. So Gene when is the next trip to Michigan to see the car again? It is winter time, and no car shows to attend on weekends, and you know me, I'm always up to seeing a Daytona. Heck this time I'd even go for 2 days instead of 1.  :rotz:

hemigeno

More inner fender shots...  The first does NOT show the hole that Danny and I researched and found to be present on every Daytona (except for 287970, which I still feel is akin to a pre-production car).  They filled in the hole before we found out it's function, but we have it logged so it can be put right back where it was.  If you think about it, the hole was drilled in by Creative Industries after the car was painted anyway, meaning the edge of the hole should be bare metal and not have paint on it.  It'd be possible to replicate this look just by using a drill bit to clean out the hole after a car was painted.  I know, I know... that's getting pretty picky.  It's more of an observation than anything.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on November 29, 2007, 09:44:38 PM
So thats what it looked like a few months back. So Gene when is the next trip to Michigan to see the car again? It is winter time, and no car shows to attend on weekends, and you know me, I'm always up to seeing a Daytona. Heck this time I'd even go for 2 days instead of 1.  :rotz:

Danny, I was actually set to leave out tomorrow late-morning, hit Chicago (to pick up the car hauler trailer I have paid for but haven't had time to go get  :brickwall: ) and then see Vance on Saturday.  I checked the weather, and they're predicting an ice storm for Chicago on Saturday afternoon, so I REALLY don't want to wreck the first time I pull the trailer.  Might be next weekend, or I might even have to do a quick up-and-back during the week sometime depending on if there are any weather breaks forecasted for next weekend

I'll letya know though.  Dave H. wants to come up again sometime, but I think he'd like to see some red on his next visit.

Here's a picture of the new Wing Wagon:

hemigeno

More inner fender shots

hemigeno

Yet more inner fender shots, including a related picture of the splash shields that will get freshened up before being reinstalled.

hemigeno

Some shots of the firewall.  They're pretty close to being finished with this area, if it's not "officially" ready for paint as shown here.

hemigeno

A couple more shots showing the hood hinges a little closer.

hemigeno

Shock tower pictures...

hemigeno

Radiator Yoke shots:

hemigeno

I tried to take several shots of the fender scoop hole & mesh so that folks could see the jagged edge they left when cutting this in.  Not exactly worried about precision, were they?   :eek2:

hemigeno

More of the same area, although the first one is from underneath.

hemigeno

Some shots of the hood...