News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on January 19, 2010, 08:28:58 PM
Bill, the part number for that nut in 1969 is 6025804 in some of the docs I found.  MMC Detroit (ICCA) says that the trans mount to crossmember nut is 5/16-18 thread just like the proportioning mounting valve nut you showed.  They go on to say that the exact style of nut you posted is correct for 1970 B-bodies (this version of their book doesn't cover E-bodies) but that 1968-9 cars are supposed to have a slightly-different shaped "hex flange head 'top crush lock' nut.  They also say both styles should to be a phosphate finish.   :shruggy:  Very well could be an early/late thing...

Yet another reason why I wont buy that bolt book - lot's of incorrect info in there.

Davtona

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 18, 2009, 08:04:25 PM
Do you have the unobtainium oil pan plug gasket?

Jim,

Is the gasket in the following pics the one you alluded to in your earlier post?  This is not mine, pic came from a friend.

:scope:

maxwellwedge

I'll have to pull one out and have a good look........hey where did all this oil come from?   :lol:

hemigeno

Park the car outside your shop for a couple days... If it's as cold as it was last year when I was at your place you'll have time to pull the plug, take pictures of the gasket, and put it back in before the oil starts to ooze out.

:lol:

maxwellwedge

Never mind taking pictures - I'll be able to paint the picture including the surroundings!  ;D

69_500

I'm still trying to figure out when is a good time to actually head to your neck of the woods Jim. Tell me when does it get above 30 during the day. I can function at temps below that but my camera's don't really like it any colder than about 40, well the video camera in particular. Oh and I would prefer to cross the border when "Olga" is not on duty as well. :)

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69_500 on January 27, 2010, 07:46:15 PM
I'm still trying to figure out when is a good time to actually head to your neck of the woods Jim. Tell me when does it get above 30 during the day. I can function at temps below that but my camera's don't really like it any colder than about 40, well the video camera in particular. Oh and I would prefer to cross the border when "Olga" is not on duty as well. :)

Hey Danny - It has been above 30 alot this winter. But it is always 70 in the building!

hemigeno

OK, time to post up some pictures I was finally able to resize last night.  These were taken a couple of weekends ago when Danny and I were at Vance's.  There are lots of things that are still works in progress, and I'll try to point out as much as I can that is still being "tweaked" - but I may miss some things.

These first four pics are of the engine compartment which is inching closer and closer to being fully detailed.  This is as nice as you'll ever see it, as sometime soon Vance will toss a blanket or something else over the engine, and then blast whatever happens to stick out with R4 paint... just like Creative industries did when painting the hood/fenders/nosecone.  All those nice-looking components on the perimeter of the engine compartment will either get overspray or completely covered.   :o

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Some more engine compartment detail shots.  The first shows the wiper fluid jug and motor.  That jug will definitely get a ton of overspray, which Vance will take a rag and some thinner and "try" to wipe some of it off... more like just smear it around a bunch.  Sad thing to do to an NOS jug.  The heater hoses are scheduled to be replaced with an original pair which hasn't shown up at Vance's just yet.  For now, I have a repro set from Frank Badalson - which is quite nice - so that he can test fire the engine in the chassis, check the heater core for leaks, etc.

In the third and fourth picture, you can see the valley pan cover and some of the other engine accessories.  I may have pointed it out before, but the OEM valley pans stamped in the 60s through sometime in 1970 had a very well defined crease/rib that differs from early '70s and later Chrysler pans, as well as the currently-available repros.

hemigeno

hemigeno

In the first picture, you can see the tee stud wrapped into the Daytona nosecone headlight wiring harness extension.  Because this extension harness differs from the regular Charger headlight harness, Creative had to drill a different hole in the stamped wiring trough behind the battery.  They didn't use the one Chrysler stamped into the inner fender, but randomly located and drilled their own hole a few inches closer to the radiator yoke.  We've kicked this subject around in other threads so I won't belabor the point again, but this hole is specific to at least Daytonas (maybe 'Birds too, as I haven't researched those).

One of the things visible in the second picture is the positive battery cable.  That's an assembly-line piece which has a longitudinal white stripe, not-so-bright-red coloring, and other distinctive marks.

The last two pictures are of the battery caps which Danny posted in his pictures as well.  The first of the cap pictures is a closeup which shows the two molded lines which are indicators of an original cap.

hemigeno

The first pic shows the hood turn signal blockoffs.  These are not normally painted nor are the screws, so they must have been installed after paint - same goes for the turn signal assemblies if the car was so equipped.  You can also see hood primer showing through where they didn't get complete coverage behind the stiffening ribs, etc.

Hood pin bezel and cable attachments are shown in the third picture.  We're following Troy's advice (as well as the Creative Industries backlot picture pattern) and putting the pins going side-to-side rather than front-to-back.  Another reason to do it this way is that if you look carefully, the '70 Charger hood is sloping down at that location... if you put the pins in front-to-back, they are really tight at the back and not even touching the bezel at the front.  At least with the side-to-side pattern it's easier to adjust the pins to have the desired pin height/clearance.

The last picture is a follow-up to an earlier comment I made about the horn pad wear.  Here, you can see the area I was talking about that tends to wear on nearly every horn pad I looked at (and I looked at a BUNCH).  Found this one in the 2009 Mopar Nat's swap meet.

hemigeno

On to the trunk compartment...

The first shot shows the bumper jack bracket placement.  Vance ever-so-slightly moved the bracket inboard a bit, which allows the bumper jack to clear the wing braces and still fit down in the notch above the wheelhouse.  It may still need to be bent over to allow complete clearance, but it will be a much better fit than it was originally - and won't rub up against the wing braces either.  This side's marker light hole doesn't have any stripe material sticking through it yet, as they're still in the process of installing the stripe on that quarterpanel.

In the second pic, you can see the passenger's side marker hole which has the black stripe material "X"d out and folded back into the trunk area.

The third picture shows the fuel tank filler tube, which I'm not sure if this is all the way finished yet.  I'm pretty sure this should have overspray on it, but my guess is that Vance is waiting on me to have the taillight harness refurbished (it's out in California at the moment).  Parts of that harness and the filler tube seal/gasket gets blasted pretty good based on other cars I've seen, so he probably wants to get it all done at once.

That last picture was snapped to show the backside of the tailpanel where the "regular" Charger arrowhead emblem goes.  That's the pattern you should see on a Daytona, although there are a few exceptions out there which had R/T emblems installed - and that mistake may have been tied to accidental installation of R/T quarterpanel emblems also.  Those cars/mistakes are pretty rare.

hemi68charger

Geno, in the third picture above,  why is the trunk lid hinge painted black?

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

All of these shots show the area of the wing washer/reinforcement, the hood hinge, and where the plug was cut into the existing Charger trunk weatherstrip channel.

Vance has spent a lot of time detailing this area, and is still working on it.  One thing he plans to do is to replicate the burn mark on each of the wing washer spot welds and the other welded areas.  Those weren't painted on the bottom side, and what little overspray they'll get would never have masked the original weld burns.  All that welding work is Creative's original handiwork, so replicating the burn evidence is still on the list of things to do.  The wing braces have not been installed, as we're still waiting on an original trunk mat and the aforementioned taillight harness.  Braces were installed on top of the mat and harness both, so those have to be on-hand before the back end can be buttoned up.

In several of the pictures you can see the raw edge of the metal where the weatherstrip channel was cut for the window plug welding.  Vance climbed into the trunk with a short piece of recip blade, and hand-filed off the paint to make sure it looked fresh-cut.  A quick wipedown with some light cosmoline will make sure it doesn't start rusting right away like the originals did.  You can also see in the original sailpanel area how the metal angle strip was not painted, and how the lead dripped down from the seam.

Details, details... I love this kind of stuff even if no one else gives a flip.

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 02, 2010, 10:33:48 AM

Troy

Daytona (C500 too) decklid hinges came primed in gray and black (maybe red too), and mine happened to be black originally.  Vance painted 'em up black, and then oversprayed them.  A regular Charger would have had these painted up pretty well from the assembly plant, but Creative didn't try as hard to hit these replacement hinges.

You can see the whole effect better in the second batch of trunk pictures which weren't up when you posted.

More pics coming afterwhile...

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on February 02, 2010, 10:40:53 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 02, 2010, 10:33:48 AM

Troy

Daytona (C500 too) decklid hinges came primed in gray and black (maybe red too), and mine happened to be black originally.  Vance painted 'em up black, and then oversprayed them.  A regular Charger would have had these painted up pretty well from the assembly plant, but Creative didn't try as hard to hit these replacement hinges.

You can see the whole effect better in the second batch of trunk pictures which weren't up when you posted.

More pics coming afterwhile...

Ahhhh,, OK.. now that you mention it, I have a pair of white hinges from a production deck lid and there's some surface rust at the swivel point and it looks like the paint wasn't as thick there as it is near the actual deck lid.   Thanks !!!!! :2thumbs:
Troy

nascarxx29

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: On detail and workmanship Did you ever have red plastic caps on your carb mixture screws.I didnt see the green wire for the 4 speed safety clutch switch .And terminal on relay soldered over .I guess you car didnt have that option.Otherwise fantastic work and attention to detail.My old car had a visible primer line where back edge of hood faced the cowl .As hood was on when painted and random workmanship that area didnt get covered to well :shruggy:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 02, 2010, 11:33:49 AM
....I didnt see the green wire for the 4 speed safety clutch switch ....  

Dave, IIRC, that didn't start until the '70 model year.. Dana, my former C500 4-speed, didn't have it either......

Troy
Troy

nascarxx29

Ok wasnt sure on switch. What you think on the red mixture caps
http://amhightechauto.com/ In the fuel section

maxwellwedge

Looks great Geno. All of my trunk hinges had that very light grey primer but there were probably different primer colors used. I don't think any 69 Positive cables had writing (part numbers) on the insulation - that was all done by 68. And you need to get Vance to route the heater hoses properly when you put on the real ones. They should cross-over each other just before or after the inner fender hose bracket. All the original (and magazine tests of the day) have them like that....the FSM shows it as well. The 2 hoses have different part numbers and it seemed the one number was always on the outside heater nipple....I'll give you those numbers after I check at home. Minor stuff.  Looks freakin' fantastico!!!  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 02, 2010, 11:58:56 AM
Ok wasnt sure on switch. What you think on the red mixture caps
http://amhightechauto.com/ In the fuel section

Caps are definitely on 69's - I have two original cars with them. AVS only.

nascarxx29